Originally created 06/28/02

Mr. Claud Caldwell Sr. (AUGUSTA, Ga.)



AUGUSTA, Ga. - Retired lawyer, Claud Reid Caldwell Sr., 92, died at his home Monday, June 3, 2002. The Augusta native, son of the late Dr. John Mars and Ethel Bennett Caldwell, practiced law in local, state and federal courts for more than 60 years. After serving in Europe in World War II, Mr. Caldwell resumed his law practice and served as Augusta Municipal Court Judge from 1948 to 1949. He was president of the Richmond County Independent Party from 1950 to 1951. He took an active part in the Augusta-Richmond County YMCA and the Augusta Council of the Boy Scouts of America for a number of years. Following his four years of war duty, Mr. Caldwell continued to serve in the U.S. Army Reserve, retiring as colonel. He was captain of the 3rd Army Pistol Team and earned the Armys prestigious Distinguished Marksman Award in 1965. Survivors include one son, Claud R. Caldwell Jr. of the home; one daughter and son-in-law, Kathryn C. and John H. Weigel of Hopewell, Va.; five grandchildren, Claud R. Caldwell III of Augusta, John David Caldwell of Lawndale, N.C., Kathryn Ann Caldwell Ph.D., of Seattle, Wash., Anna Reid Weigel of Williamsburg, Va., John Clark Weigel of Hopewell, Va.; one great-granddaughter, Larissa Illyn of North Augusta; and one great-great-grandson, Dalton Patrick Hicks, with whom he played golf two days before his death. He was preceded in death by his wife of nearly 60 years, Josephine Clark Caldwell and their son, James William Caldwell. Mr. Caldwells memberships, included Augusta and American Bar Associations, Augusta-Richmond County Historical Museum, Order of World Wars, National Sojourners, Reserve Officers Association, American Legion, Sons of Confederacy, Masons and Augusta Country Club. He is listed in the 2001 edition of Whos Who in the World. Mr. Caldwell donated his body to the Medical College of Georgia. A memorial service will be held Saturday, June 29, 2002, at 4 p.m. in the Womens Parlor of Greene Street Presbyterian Church (Ellis Street entrance).

The Augusta Chronicle June 28, 2002