Originally created 06/19/02

Players recovering from injuries

Dirk Lincicome couldn't have celebrated Saturday even if he wanted to.

The Augusta Stallions fullback/linebacker was one of five players who suffered injuries in the team's 41-30 playoff-clinching win at Tallahassee.

"It was kind of hard to celebrate because we were so banged up," Lincicome said. "Everybody, on the inside, was really feeling excited, even though there wasn't a lot of celebrating going on inside the locker room."

Lincicome had ice wrapped around his foot Tuesday afternoon, suffering possible turf toe.

Stallions coach Mike Hold said Lincicome will be OK to play Friday, when Augusta plays host to Columbus at 7:30 p.m. Also expected to rebound in time to play are defensive specialist LaVar Rainey, wide receiver/defensive back Stuart Brown, wide receiver/linebacker Chris Johnson and lineman Kelvin Frazier.

Rainey, who extended his interception streak to five games with a second-half pick in the win, got kicked in the throat. Brown went over one of the walls and hit his head on the floor. But no one's injury was scarier than Frazier's.

Midway through the first half, Frazier took a shot to the kidney area of the lower back. Play was suspended for 10 minutes, and he was taken to a Tallahassee, Fla., emergency room. Hold said Tuesday that Frazier suffered a bruise and the injury was not serious.

Defensive coordinator Bubba Diggs said the team was too distracted by Frazier's injury to party after the win.

"We had to go by the hospital and pick up Frazier," Diggs said. "That kind of dampened the experience."

Augusta will face American Eastern division foe Macon in the first round of the arenafootball2 playoffs July 30 or July 31. The winner of the division will have home-field advantage.

The Stallions (9-1) hold a half-game lead over Macon (9-2). Should the two teams end of the season in a tie, the Knights would hold the tiebreaker - point differential in head-to-head games. Augusta defeated Macon, 48-47, on May 10 but lost to the Knights, 60-57, on May 31.

Ironically, it could be a then-meaningless touchdown that could put Augusta on the road in the first round of the playoffs. Trailing 48-39 in their first meeting with the Stallions, the Knights scored on a 3-yard touchdown pass and added a two-point conversion with one second left in the game to pull within one point.

"We were up by nine," Hold said. "If we were up by eight, it would have been a different sense of urgency. But we still control our own destiny as far as that is concerned."

Reach Chris Gay at (706) 868-1222, Ext. 114.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us