Originally created 05/08/02

Two injured in Aiken house fire



AIKEN - An early morning house fire sent a father to the hospital and left his son with second-degree burns, Aiken Public Safety reported Wednesday.

An explosion was reported at 121 Riviera Road by a neighbor at about 6 a.m., Inspector David Turnosaid. The neighbor went next door and woke up three people sleeping inside, he added.

In the house were a woman, her elderly brother and his son, who were visiting.

While trying to escape, the elderly man was overcome by smoke and passed out near the door, Inspector Turno said. His son was burned in an unsuccessful attempt to rescue his father.

Firefighters with Public Safety found the father and pulled him to safety, Inspector Turno said.

The father was rushed to a hospital in Augusta. The son was treated for his burns and was in good condition, Inspector Turno said.



Related Searches

 LAW_CRIME   MAN-MADE DISASTER   TURNO   DAVID TURNOSAID   AIKEN   INSPECTOR   DISASTER_ACCIDENT