Originally created 04/14/02

Across the southeast

Man who kept corpses gets 43 years in prison

GALVESTON, Texas -A man who killed his parents and lived with their corpses for months has been sentenced to 43 years in prison.

David Sidney Hisey, 53, must serve half that time before he can become eligible for parole, prosecutors said after Friday's sentencing.

Mr. Hisey was found guilty of murder Wednesday in the deaths of Hollis Hisey, 91, and Sunnye Hisey, 85, whose bodies were discovered Sept. 1, 2000. Mrs. Hisey had been dead for about 10 months, and her husband had been dead for about three.

Mr. Hisey, an unemployed shrimper, had moved from Florida five years earlier to care for his parents, both of whom suffered from Alzheimer's disease. He had placed their bodies side by side in a bedroom sealed off with tape.

Lawmakers end session with no Medicaid change

JACKSON, Miss. -Mississippi legislators guaranteed themselves a return trip to the Capitol by ending their 2002 regular session Friday without resolving Medicaid's budget problems.

Gov. Ronnie Musgrove pledges to call lawmakers back into special session to straighten out the health program's woes. The special session will be sometime before the July 1 beginning of the fiscal year, he said.

Early Friday, the House and Senate overrode the governor's vetoes of two Medicaid bills - one that funds the program for next budget year and another that tweaks Medicaid to save an unspecified amount of money.

Marines return home from Afghanistan duty

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -Marines who helped reopen the U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan returned home Saturday after a four-month deployment that combined guard duty with construction work.

About 100 Marines from Task Force Lima returned to Camp Lejeune, where their families and friends waited to greet them.

"Daddy, I love you. Daddy, I missed you," said 3 1/2 -year-old Bret Baugher, holding an American flag while being hugged by his father, Sgt. Ron Baugher. His wife, Susanna, and their four other children also embraced the returning Marine.

The Marines' mission was to "secure the embassy and defend the embassy," said Lt. Col. Stephen Davis, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines. "That building hadn't been occupied since 1989 and had fallen into a state of disrepair."

Camp Lejeune-based Marines probably will be stationed in Kabul for a long time, he said.


Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us