LAS VEGAS -- The postponed bout between Oscar De La Hoya and Fernando Vargas for the super welterweight title was rescheduled for Sept. 14 at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino.
Last week, De La Hoya pulled out of their May 4 fight after spraining his left hand in sparring.
"Oscar is very anxious to take on Vargas," Bob Arum, De La Hoya's promoter, said Friday.
De La Hoya, who grew up in East Los Angeles, and Vargas, of Oxnard, Calif., have not concealed their dislike for each other. Vargas promised at a rally in Los Angeles last month he would give De La Hoya a beating, and the two shoved each other at a January news conference.
De La Hoya, a former Olympic gold medalist, hasn't fought since winning the 154-pound WBC title from Javier Castillejo in June, while Vargas hasn't fought since stopping Jose "Shibata" Flores in the seventh round in September.
The 29-year-old De La Hoya has a 34-2 record with 27 knockouts. Vargas, 24, is 22-1 with 20 knockouts.
De La Hoya will earn at least $14 million, while Vargas gets at least $6 million. Both will get part of the pay-per-view sales.
"There was a 120-day postponement clause, but we agreed to extend it," Arum said. "Everything is the same."
Tickets purchased for the May 4 fight will be honored for the rescheduled bout with the same seat location.