Who's hot: South Carolina. Talk of the BCS isn't BS anymore.
Who's not: The Bowdens. Florida State coach Bobby Bowden and his son, Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, have big questions to answer after suffering upsets to North Carolina and Virginia, respectively.
Stat of the week: Maryland tailback Bruce Perry rushed for a career-high 276 yards in the Terrapins' 27-20 win at Wake Forest.
View from the press box: "How can a team that annually attracts top-10 recruiting classes fall behind a team that schedules ticker-tape parades when it lands a top-20 class?" - Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press, on the plight of Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish lost to Michigan State for the fifth straight time.
Ranking the Big Four:
1. Georgia Tech (3-0, 0-0 ACC) ... The Jackets just want to play - anyone and anywhere.
2. South Carolina (3-0, 2-0 SEC) ... The Chicken Curse has moved to Clemson.
3. Georgia (1-1, 0-1 SEC) ... Will D.J. Shockley play Saturday?
4. Clemson (2-1, 0-1 ACC) ... The Tigers are in rebuilding mode.
Ranking the power conferences:
1. Big 12 ... Kansas State's 64-0 manhandling of New Mexico State could have been 100-0.
2. SEC ... Will anyone emerge in the West?
3. Pac-10 ... UCLA's defense held Ohio State's offense out of the end zone.
5. ACC ... Parity has struck.
4. Big Ten ... Illinois might be the best team in the conference.
6. Big East ... Syracuse looked impressive against Auburn.
Ranking the SEC, top and bottom:
1. Florida ... Gators haven't been tested yet.
12. Kentucky ... Vanderbilt is a close 11th.
Ranking the ACC, top and bottom:
1. Georgia Tech ... And they didn't even have to beat Florida State. Thanks, Tar Heels.
9. Duke ... Does Mike Krzyzewski know any football?
View from the sideline: "We knew from watching film this wasn't the Florida State of old." - North Carolina quarterback Darian Durant, after the Tar Heels' 41-9 pasting of the Seminoles
What's next: On Saturday, Clemson plays at Georgia Tech (3:30 p.m, ABC-Ch. 6; South Carolina plays host to Alabama (12:30 p.m., CBS-Ch. 12); Georgia plays host to Arkansas (6:30 p.m., ESPN2).
This week's big story line: Until Saturday, Clemson's trip to Georgia Tech was viewed as a monster showdown. Given their 26-24 upset loss to Virginia, it could be a monster blowout if the Tigers don't show up.
View from the bleachers: "... Tommy (Bowden) better learn how to recruit complete football classes, or the downfall will continue." - Tiger79, on an Internet message board
21-Days Georgia Tech will have had to prepare for Clemson.
0-Wins by the Tigers in their past three ACC games.
23-Average margin of victory by Alabama over South Carolina. The Crimson Tide is 10-0 against the Gamecocks.