Compassionate conservatism means life doesn't have to be deliberately, vindictively, or categorically unfair. Therefore, I recommend a 10-point agenda for Congress early this session.
* Leave Bill Clinton alone; unless one just arrived from another planet everyone's mind is made up about Mr. Clinton, so let's leave him to the historians and get on with governance.
* Remove the marriage penalty from the income tax.
* Adjust the estate tax for inflation, exempting the first $10 million.
* Triple dependent deductions before reducing the tax rate.
* Allow tax relief for private tuition.
* Balance not only the budget, but also the trust funds.
* Pass Patients' Bill of Rights or patients' protection legislation.
* Approve campaign finance reform.
* Grade schools on the basis of what students have become, not on how they scored on the SAT.
* Keep missile defense in research and development until it's proven that it works.
Tom Zwemer, Augusta