Originally created 01/09/01

Shine's mother upset over punishment

The one-game suspension of two Seton Hall players doesn't please the mother of Seton Hall point guard and former Richmond Academy standout Ty Shine.

Freshman Eddie Griffin and senior Kevin Wilkins were suspended for Monday night's game with Notre Dame after the two were involved in a fight with Shine in the locker room after Seton Hall's 78-66 loss to Georgetown on Saturday.

Seton Hall (10-3) is ranked No. 15 in the latest Associated Press poll.

Barbara Shine told The Augusta Chronicle on Monday that she is upset with the length of the suspension for Griffin, a standout freshman who leads the team with 19.6 points per game and 13 rebounds, because he has been involved in conflicts with teammates before.

According to the Associated Press, Griffin and teammate Marques Gantt had an altercation last spring at Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia and were expelled from school.

In Monday's edition of the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, Mrs. Shine said Griffin punched her son in the locker room, leaving a cut under his right eye that required three stitches.

"It was Eddie that punched Ty," Mrs. Shine told the newspaper. "I was told after the game when I went to the locker room that `Ty will be out in a few minutes; he's getting stitched up.' I asked, `Why is he getting stitched up?' And then I was told, `Because Eddie (Griffin) hit him in the face."'

Mrs. Shine said Monday that Griffin was upset that her son didn't pass the ball to him in the late stages of Saturday's game. As the team headed for the locker room after the game, she said, Griffin issued Shine a warning: "Wait until we get into the locker room."

Shine told his mother Griffin punched him while he was dressing.

He said teammate Marcus Toney-El attempted to break up the fight, and Wilkins jumped in and pushed Toney-El, Mrs. Shine said.

Seton Hall Sports Information Director Marie Wozniak couldn't be reached for comment, but the school issued a statement from head coach Tommy Amaker that stated the suspensions were for "violation of team standards," and none of his players would comment on the incident.

The statement didn't say whether the suspensions of Griffin and Wilkins were for fighting, but according to the Star-Ledger, Amaker closed the team's locker room to the media for the first time this season after Saturday's loss.

Mrs. Shine acknowledged that her son, a junior at Seton Hall, is upset about the incident, but he isn't considering transferring.

"He's gone through a lot of trials and tribulations, but he's not going to give up," Mrs. Shine said. "He's not that kind of person. He's got a goal to carry out, and he's not going to let this incident detract from that."

Reach Tim Morse at (706) 823-3216 or timmorse@augustachronicle.com.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us