Originally created 01/07/01

Laney's OT win over Josey controversial

Cory Tyler likes basketball. At the pace he's going, he may really fall in love with it.

For the second straight night, Tyler sank a last-second shot to lead his Wildcats to victory. Tyler's 18-footer lifted Laney to a 51-50 overtime thriller at the ARC gymnasium Saturday night.

Friday night, Tyler's basket with two seconds left gave the Wildcats a 63-61 victory over Jefferson County.

"I can't really say anything," Tyler said. "I'm at a loss for words."

In the girls game, Laney held off Josey in the fourth quarter to post a 56-49 victory.

As exciting as the end of the boys game appeared, the game became controversial at the end of regulation. After Latavius Walker's steal and layup gave the Wildcats (11-4) a 43-41 lead with 1:47 remaining, Arthur Anthony countered with a 3-pointer to give Josey the lead again at 44-43.

Following an exchange of possessions, Tyler missed a chance to give Laney the win in regulation when his shot bounced off the rim. Both teams scrambled for the loose ball, which was ruled a jump ball with 10 seconds left. Josey had the possession arrow and proceeded to kill the final seconds.

They did it to perfection - or at least it seemed that way. The Eagles inbounded the ball to Barry Robinson, who fired midcourt to Anthony, who fed Tony Mitchell for a basket as time expired.

However, officials said that when Robinson passed to Anthony, he pushed Laney's Rod Briscoe away from the ball. Officials nullified Mitchell's basket, put six seconds back on the clock and sent Briscoe to the line for two free throws. Briscoe connected on one-of-two free throws to tie the game at 44 and send the game into overtime.

That fumed Josey fans.

"They didn't make a questionable call, they made a bad call," said Josey boys coach Emmett Rouse. "We had 10 seconds and made three clean passes to the other end of the court. We had two people wide open, there was no way it was a foul."

The game should have never have come down to overtime. The Eagles (7-5) got off to a 22-4 first quarter lead, but managed just five and four points, respectively, in the second and third quarters while Laney slowly chipped at Josey's 20-point second-quarter advantage.

"My hats off to Cory for hitting the game-winning shot two nights in a row, but the game was over in regulation," Rouse said. "When it got down to it, the game should have never came down to one play. We ran out of gas. But you hate to see the officials take (a win) away from the kids when they worked that hard to get it."

In the girls game, Laney built leads as high as 19 points in the third quarter only to watch Josey close the gap to seven points with less than a minute left.

With the exception of the opening basket, the Lady Eagles (4-8) never led in the game.

The Lady Wildcats (12-3) got 22 points from Sheena Freeman and 11 from Alicia Lewis. Josey, meanwhile, was led by Adrienne Walker's 18 and Michelle Drumgold's 11 points respectively.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us