One of Augusta's most prominent bankers of the 20th Century began his financial career as a bank clerk in Groveland, Fla., at the age of 17. He came to Augusta in 1936 as vice president and comptroller of Georgia Railroad Bank & Trust Co., then the oldest financial institution south of the nation's capital. He became president of the bank in 1947 and became chairman and CEO of the bank and its affiliates in 1969. He served as president of the Georgia Bankers Association and two terms as treasurer of the American Bankers Association.
Drawdy was involved with many local civic and business organizations and was the first recipient of the Liberty Bell award from the Augusta Bar Association. He died in 1973. His lasting legacy was overseeing the construction of Augusta's tallest building, now known as the First Union building, at Eighth and Broad Streets.