Before this giant of Georgia broadcasting came along, there was no television in Augusta. His early local success, however, was in the field of radio when, at just 21, he convinced some investors to start WGAC radio station and let him become manager and part owner. He brought television to Augusta in the '50s with the WJBF station, which today still bears his initials. He sold that station for $30 million in 1980. His first million had been made by the age of 35. His corporation, now headquartered in Atlanta, became Fuqua Industries in 1965. His greatest contribution to Augusta outside of broadcasting is the Alan Fuqua Center which opened in 1974 in the 1849 "Montrose" mansion on Walton Way. Mr. and Mrs. Fuqua purchased the home and surrounding property in 1972 as a gift to Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church in memory of their son.