Originally created 08/13/99

Man gets 105 years for triple shooting

Mark Lorenzo Squires, who wounded three people in a 1995 shooting attack, received a maximum 105-year prison sentence Thursday.

"First of all, considering the relationship between these people, ... I can't think of a more vile crime," Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet said Thursday in Richmond County Superior Court, the same court in which a jury convicted Mr. Squires, 23, on Wednesday.

Also, at the time Mr. Squires shot Sheila Kitchens, her then 12-year-old brother, George Kitchens, and their friend, Charles Fubler, Mr. Squires was on parole for shooting someone in Colorado, the judge noted during sentencing.

"I have no alternative than to do whatever I can to protect society," Judge Overstreet said.

While Ms. Kitchens testified although she was only friends with and trying to help Mr. Squires, he was jealous of her friendship with Mr. Fubler.

Both Mr. Fubler and Ms. Kitchens stressed Thursday that they were then and still remain only friends, and never dated romantically in November 1995 when they were shot.

On Wednesday, at the conclusion of a one-day trial, a jury convicted Mr. Squires of burglary, two counts of kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

However, the jury acquitted Mr. Squires of one aggravated assault charge -- the wounding of Mr. Fubler, an Augusta State University senior and star soccer player who had just stopped at the Kitchens' South Augusta home to give George a ride to school.

"All of Bermuda (where Mr. Fubler was born and now lives) is frustrated today," Elenor Joell, Mr. Fubler's mother, told the judge Thursday.

"Somebody pulled that trigger, somebody shot my son. As far as I'm concerned, justice has not been served," she said.

Although Mr. Squires was acquitted of the aggravated assault charge involving Mr. Fubler, a second man who took part in the attack, Daniel Downing, was convicted of all charges in 1996, including the aggravated assault on Mr. Fubler. He is now serving 55 years in prison.

Judge Overstreet acknowledged Ms. Joell's frustration, but said Mr. Downing at least is paying a penalty for Mr. Fubler's assault.

Mr. Squires had been a fugitive since 1995, having fled the Augusta area after the shooting. He was not located until last fall, after his arrest in North Carolina in a June 12 slaying in New Bern and a July 4 double homicide in Greenville. He still faces murder charges in those two cities, and will face a possible death sentence if convicted in the Greenville death.

Mr. Squires will be transported back to North Carolina to face charges there now that his Richmond County case is concluded.

Sandy Hodson may be reached at (706) 823-3226 or shodson@augustachronicle.com.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us