Originally created 08/12/99

Jury finds man guilty of aggravated assault, kidnapping

It's taken nearly four years, but Mark Lorenzo Squires' victims finally should see some justice today.

Wednesday, it took a Richmond County Superior Court jury less than 20 minutes to convict Mr. Squires, 23, of multiple charges, including aggravated assault and kidnapping, for an attack on two young people and a little boy in 1995.

Although the jury acquitted Mr. Squires of one aggravated-assault charge, he faces as much as 105 years in prison when sentenced today.

Nov. 13, 1995, may have started as a normal day for Sheila Kitchens, her little brother, George Kitchens, and her boyfriend, Charles Fubler, but it turned into the worst day of their lives, Assistant District Attorney Bill Fleming told the jury.

George Kitchens was just 12 when he saw Mr. Squires chasing and shooting at Mr. Fubler before turning the gun on him and his sister, George testified Wednesday.

"Lorenzo (Mr. Squires) came around the corner. He looked at me, then he shot me. I remember him saying, `I thought you loved me,"' George testified.

Ms. Kitchens testified: "He looked me in the eyes ... then he shot me. I hit the floor, and I couldn't get up again."

The bullet lodged in her neck, leaving her paralyzed from the chest down.

Mr. Fubler, who was a senior and star soccer player at Augusta State University, did not get a look at the man who shot him in the back of the head. He was running for his life at the time, he testified.

Mr. Fubler spent about two weeks in the hospital and longer in physical rehabilitation.

"I wouldn't wish it on anybody. They had to teach me to walk again," Mr. Fubler testified. The former college senior also had to relearn how to read and write and still suffers from seizures.

He lost his college scholarship, and his doctor says he can never again play soccer or any contact sport, Mr. Fubler testified.

Mr. Squires was acquitted of aggravated assault in connection with Mr. Fubler's shooting.

A second man who accompanied Mr. Squires to the house that day and held Ms. Kitchens as she was shot, Daniel Downing, was convicted in March 1996. He is serving a 55-year prison sentence.

Mr. Squires fled Augusta after the shooting. He was not located until last fall, when he was arrested in North Carolina in a June 12 slaying in New Bern and a July 4 double homicide in Greenville.

Sandy Hodson covers courts for The Augusta Chronicle. She may be reached at (706) 823-3226 or shodson@augustachronicle.com


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us