BARCELONA, Spain -- Carlos Moya lost a chance to take the No. 1 ranking from Pete Sampras when he was beaten in three sets Friday by Felix Mantilla in the quarterfinals of the $950,000 Conde de Godo Open.
Moya, ranked No. 2 in the world, was playing with an infected thumb and was beaten 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in a match with his Spanish countryman.
Mantilla, ranked No. 19, will play Francisco Clavet of Spain in Saturday's semifinals. Clavet beat Brazil's Fernando Meligeni 1-6, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6).
Rain on Thursday created a schedule backlog, forcing players to play two matches Friday.
Defending champion Todd Martin won a rematch of last year's final, beating Alberto Berasategui 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 in the quarters.
"Albert played better the first set that he ever has played against me," Martin said. "I was having a lot of trouble of keeping the ball away from his forehand."
Martin will play Moroccan Karim Alami in the semifinals. Alami won 6-4, 7-5 against Spain's Albert Costa, who won the Estoril Open last week.
"Alami played really well and I was a little tired," Costa said.
In the third round, played in the morning, Costa used a strong serve and forehand to down Marcelo Rios of Chile 6-4, 6-1. Rios, who has had back problems, said he felt fine and will play the Monte Carlo Open next week.
In opening matches, Moya beat countryman Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 5-7, 6-4; Martin stopped Tommy Robredo, a 16-year old Spaniard, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6); and Berasategui defeated Argentina's Franco Squillari 6-0, 7-6 (7-1).
Also, Alami downed Vincent Spadea 6-3, 6-3; Clavet took Britain's Tim Henman 6-1, 6-4; and Meligeni beat Moroccan Younis el Anayoui 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us