Originally created 03/10/99

Minnesota tops SuperSonics

MINNEAPOLIS -- Kevin Garnett scored 12 fourth-quarter points, including a one-handed putback dunk with 18.3 seconds left, as the Minnesota Timberwolves beat Seattle, handing the SuperSonics their fourth straight loss.

Garnett had 22 points and 16 rebounds, including a season-high eight on the offensive end. Joe Smith added 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Detlef Schrempf, playing in his 1,000th game, scored 18 points as a reserve for the Sonics, who hadn't lost four in a row since January 1992.

After Hersey Hawkins' 3-pointer gave Seattle an 84-83 lead with 27.6 seconds left, Stephon Marbury drove the right side for a layup. But Marbury put it up too hard and Garnett went way above the rim to dunk the follow.

The Sonics never got a shot off in the final 18 seconds, as the Wolves smothered Gary Payton in the post and knocked the ball away.

The game was tied 45-45 at the half and the Wolves went into the fourth period with a 64-62 lead in a game that had 10 lead changes. Minnesota improved to 9-0 when leading into the fourth quarter.

Garnett had two tip-ins at the start of the fourth period. And, after a Seattle 24-second violation, Bobby Jackson scored on a layup to give Minnesota a 72-71 lead with 7:55 left. Garnett had two more jumpers in a 9-4 run as the Wolves extended to an 81-75 lead with 2:27 remaining.

But Dale Ellis responded with two 3-pointers in a span of 33 seconds to tie it. After Garnett's 10-footer, Hawkins hit a 3-pointer to set up the go-ahead dunk.

Marbury hit a 20-foot jumper to start the second half, and with 9:13 left in the third quarter, he made a behind-the-back pass on the break for Garnett's dunk that gave the Wolves a 51-46 lead.

The Sonics battled back behind Schrempf's seven points to pull to 66-64 going into the fourth quarter.

The Wolves made six of their first eight shots and jumped to a 12-5 lead 4:23 into the game behind Garnett's six points. Minnesota increased the lead to 25-13, but the Sonics stormed back with a 12-0 run to end the quarter.

Seattle extended its lead to 38-30 with 7:14 left in the second as Schrempf had seven points and Payton six during a 21-5 run.

Smith's offensive rebound and dunk with 6:38 left seemed to ignite the Wolves, who went on a 14-6 run to tie the game at 44.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us