Originally created 02/22/99

Bulls no longer feared in NBA

NEW YORK -- In their only network television appearance of the season, the Chicago Bulls showed part of the country how incredibly low they've sunk.

The Bulls tied their franchise record for fewest points in a game, scoring just 63 on Sunday in a 79-63 loss to the New York Knicks.

Heck, Michael Jordan once scored 63 all by himself.

NBC televised the game to 21 percent of the country, and the other 79 percent should consider themselves fortunate for being spared from the spectacle of seeing the three-time defending champions thoroughly embarrassed.

"Not the same without MJ, is it?" Dickey Simpkins of the Bulls said early in a fourth quarter that featured the Bulls missing 13 straight shots and being held to 11 points.

The Bulls needed a three-point play from Kornel David and a tough jumper in the lane by Cory Carr in the final 80 seconds to reach 63 points, which tied the franchise-low set against Cleveland on Dec. 19, 1994.

Chicago had as many turnovers (24) as field goals, trailed by as many as 17 points and totaled just 28 points in the second half.

Allan Houston scored 26 points to lead the Knicks, who held an opponent below 70 points for the fourth time this year. Prior to this season, they had done it a total of five times since the inception of the shot clock in 1954-55.

Houston made his first four 3-point attempts, giving him 10 in a row without a miss to tie Trent Tucker's team record. He finished 4-for-5 from behind the arc, 10-for-15 overall and posted a season-high point total for the second straight game.

The Knicks, who got 17 points from Kurt Thomas and 10 from Patrick Ewing, won for the sixth time in seven games.

The Bulls dropped to 1-8 for the first time since 1978-79.

New York took control early, leading 23-16 after one quarter behind Houston's 11 points. Brent Barry, who led Chicago with 19 points, singlehandedly kept Chicago in the game by making his first four 3-point shots.

Ron Harper made a 3-pointer with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter to cut Chicago's deficit to 61-57, but that would be their last basket for the next 8 1/2 minutes as the Knicks wrapped the game up with a 14-1 run.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us