Originally created 04/11/98

Ackerman leaves for Pentagon



Not even two years into his assignment, Fort Gordon's commanding general is leaving his job for a top post at the Pentagon.

In May, Maj. Gen. Michael W. Ackerman will become the Army's new deputy inspector general. His permanent replacement is Brig. Gen. Peter Cuviello, a 29-year Army veteran.

The change-of-command ceremony is scheduled for May 11 at Barton Field. Gen. William W. Hartzog, commander of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, will preside at the ceremony.

Brig. Gen. Cuviello, a Vietnam veteran, currently works at the Pentagon in the office of Command, Control, Communications and Computers. He is director of programs and architecture.

Earlier in his career, he was a company commander and staff officer at Fort Gordon.

Maj. Gen. Ackerman replaced Lt. Gen. Douglas Buchholz as commander of Fort Gordon in October 1996. The two had worked together before at Fort Gordon when Maj. Gen. Ackerman was the post deputy commander in 1994. As a second lieutenant, he also spent 90 days at the fort in 1967 before his unit was called to Vietnam. He worked for the fort's Directorate of Combat Developments in 1987.

Generally, Army officers serve two-year assignments before transferring to a new job. The deputy inspector general's position, however, had been vacant for several months, and the Army was looking for someone with an unassailable service history to fill it.

In his new job, Maj. Gen. Ackerman will be responsible for investigating various misconduct allegations and ensuring Army regulations are followed.

"If you look at his record, he's got quite a record," said James Hudgins, public affairs officer for Fort Gordon.

Maj. Gen. Ackerman was on leave Friday and could not be reached for comment.

The top-spot at Fort Gordon usually goes to a two-star general. Brig. Gen. Cuviello is not eligible for his second star yet, but a promotion could come later, Mr. Hudgins said.