Originally created 03/31/97

Holiday marred by local violence

Easter is usually a quiet, peaceful holiday in Richmond County, but three homicides and several shootings made this the deadliest Easter weekend officials can remember.

Robert A. Law, 25, of Capitol Street was the most violent killing. He was shot 15 times - five in his head, Coroner Leroy Sims said. The shooting happened shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Police were looking for a dark-skinned black man, about 5 feet 5 inches, with a muscular build. Police said he appeared to be about 18.

"As I was going to one shooting, I heard (the police) calls out to at least three more shootings early Sunday morning," said Richmond County Deputy Coroner Grover Tuten. "This has been the most violent Easter weekend I remember." Chief Deputy Ronald Strength of the sheriff's department agreed with him.

Another shooting happened shortly shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday. Kenyatta Walker, 19, of Apricot Lane died of a gunshot wound to his chest after being shot once, Deputy Coroner Grover Tuten said. He was shot in the 500 block of Highland Avenue in what police believe was a drive-by shooting.

Three men were arrested Sunday and charged in the shooting. Brothers Johann Henri Willis, 18, and Joseph Holley Willis, 19, and Oliver Marson, 19, were charged with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. The shooting stemmed from an altercation at Krystal's restaurant on Wrightsboro Road late Saturday or early Sunday, police said.

Willie Frank Edney, 43, of the 400 block of Broad Street died about 1:50 a.m. Sunday. Victor Ervin Jones of the 600 block of Forsythe Street was charged with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. The two knew each other and had been drinking, police said.

Just when police thought things were quieting down, on Sunday afternoon a man was shot at Highland and Royal streets. Larry Davis, 42, of the 2800 block of Oakland Avenue was shot in his back after he backed his vehicle into someone else's vehicle. Police were looking for suspects late Sunday

About four hours later a child was injured in a shooting.

A 4-year-old boy got his father's .22-caliber revolver and shot himself in his leg about 4:30 p.m. at the family's Cassell Street home, police said. Richard Sagen, 39, of the 2100 block of Cassell Street was charged with reckless conduct Sunday.

And in another shooting, shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, a family argument turned violent and two people were shot and injured.

It happened in the 600 block of Gilbert Manor. Willie Eugene Woods, 29, was shot in his left side and Kwanta Dawson, 19, was shot in his hand.

Lorenzo Dawson, Dawson's brother and Woods' nephew, was charged with aggravated assault. He was being held without bond in the Richmond County jail late Sunday.


Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us