Originally created 07/03/96
July Fourth events
Web-posted July 3, 1996
Fourth of July events announced for this week include:
- Augusta's Riverfront 4th Celebration, sponsored by riverfront businesses and Augusta-Richmond County, begins at 2:30 p.m. Local musicians, dancers and even a karate team will be on two stages. There also will be games and arts and crafts booths at the Eighth Street Plaza. The Army Signal Corps Band - and the cannons - will give a concert just before the 9:30 p.m. fireworks spectacular at the riverfront and members of the U.S. Olympic boxing team, training in Augusta, will also be introduced to the crowd before the fireworks.
- Grovetown's Ninth Annual Fourth of July Barbecue is at noon. Food is free if you eat on the grounds. Takeouts are $4. The C.D. Morris and the Southern Bluegrass Boys and Polynesian Dancers performing in the afternoon.
- Columbia County's Patriots Park holds another free family event, with fireworks at dusk. Beginning at 1 p.m., there will be carnival games, pony rides, music and arts and crafts.
- Little River Marina at Thurmond Lake will hold a family fun day beginning at 3 p.m. with several contests, including a greased-pole climb, horseshoe pitching, sack racing and watermelon-seed spitting. Fireworks also start around 9:30 p.m., and they will be choreographed with a live broadcast of music on radio station WZNY (105-FM)
July 5, 1996:
- Aiken County's Pennies For the Park parade and picnic, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Virginia Acres Park.
- Watermelon-eating and pie-eating contests and free beverages.