UGA interested in Penn State players

Richt confirms talk of accepting transfers from sanctioned school

Morris News Service
UGA Coach Mark Richt

ATLANTA– Talk of Penn State trickled into UGA Coach Mark Richt’s talk to the crowd at the `UGA Day’ event Monday night at the Cobb Galleria Centre where host Chuck Dowdle brought up the subject early.

“A lot of colleges around the country certainly will be interested in some of those players,” Richt said, “and we’re one of those teams. It’s pretty well-documented that we’re under our 85 number right now. We’ll try to get in touch with some of these young men and see what their interest is.”

Two current Penn State players, defensive end Deion Barnes from Philadelphia and linebacker Khairi Fortt from Stamford, Conn, considered Georgia out of high school. Both took official visits to Athens, according to Rivals.com.

Two Penn State commitments—defensive end Garrett Sickels from Red Bank (N.J.) Regional and tight end Adam Breneman from Cedar Cliff (Pa.)—were offered scholarships by Georgia.

After the event, Richt admitted Georgia coaches had already looked at Penn State’s two-deep roster during their annual “hideaway meeting,” Monday.

“We took a little bit of time out of what we were going to do to talk about that a little bit and decide what we might want to do,” he said. “It may not be anybody. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but we’re at least going to explore.”

Richt again cautioned that Georgia may not land any of the Nittany Lion players.

“I don’t want everybody to sit there and think we’re trying to load up a bunch of them,” Richt said. “It could be zero. It could be one or two. I don’t know what it could be. We’ll just see if it’s a fit, see if anybody’s interested and go from there.”

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/12 - 08:45 am
Vultures Circling Penn St.

Something is not right about Richt and the vultures circling over Penn St. I thought he was better than that. Let Penn St. work out their problems.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/24/12 - 08:34 am
Come on

Are the Penn State players required to stay and live with this bad ruling? They have a right to play somewhere else, I guess. Richt answered a direct question. Was he suppose to lie and say no Penn State players were welcome to come to UGA?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/12 - 08:38 am
JMO, he said they are looking

JMO, he said they are looking at the Penn St. roster. He says they are interested in the players. That's interference with another team. It's throwing it out to their players if they are good enough UGA is open to them. Not right.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/24/12 - 09:37 am
I agree-

Riverman. Join the football game where winning is everything. Losing coaches don't last long and winning coaches are treated like God. The kids are the pawns with hopes of becoming rich.

Frita's Boss
Frita's Boss 07/24/12 - 10:39 am
Do a little research...

Riverman, both of your comments make no sense. Are you up to date with what happened up there??? "Let Penn St. work out their own problems?" Really?!? Seemed like their negligence WAS the problem. How is Richt being open to accepting some transfers from PSU "not right?" What "vultures?" Allowing these players to openly transfer is about the only sanctuary the NCAA gave them. Or would you prefer the kids stay in that nightmare situation? Keep in mind these kids had nothing to do with the hellish events that took place at PSU.

Perhaps you should do some research Riverman. Richt is doing nothing wrong here. It's not interference. The NCAA punished the CURRENT PLAYERS for what happened in the PAST. Thank God the current players on Penn St. have the OPTION of transferring without penalty.

The way transfer rules work is like this: If a player REQUESTS and is approved for a transfer, that player gives his current schools athletic compliance department a list of schools that have PERMISSION TO CONTACT THE PLAYER.

No other way around it. Every school cannot contact the players. It's up to the kids to decide who they want to talk to. After some dialogue, it's up to coaches like Richt, Saban, Chizik, Meyer, Sweeney, Johnson, etc. to decide whether or not to offer that kid a scholarship.

The fact is, the CURRENT PSU football team got shafted by the NCAA.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/24/12 - 11:39 am
Riverman

Maybe he is right. I am wiling to accept his explanation as it seems that he knows what he is talking about. I will stand with the rest of my comment, however.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/12 - 01:05 pm
Frita's Boss

I also understand in depth NCAA rules regarding transfer to other conferences, smaller division schools and so on. Those transfer rules have always been there, just as this temporary one is.

If any Penn St. player decides to come to UGA that's up to him, but you don't target Penn St. players by talking about reviewing their roster and so on. You also don't publicly talk about star players at smaller colleges in hopes of getting them to transfer and play after sitting out the prescribed time. That's the intellectual honesty of the situation. Richt was wrong.

The current team, coaches and fans have done nothing wrong. If anything Richt should be asking players who won't get playing time at UGA to look into transferring to Penn St. and helping out that program. That would be the honorable thing to do instead of encouraging remaining players to leave Penn St.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/24/12 - 02:58 pm
River, I think you're

River, I think you're forgetting something here. Some guys go to college to MAJOR in football....yeah, of course, getting a "degree" along the way, but in actuality, their main concern is football and getting to the next level. When they are faced with being on a team and not being able to get significant playing time, that dream of making it to the next level dissolves in front of their eyes! THAT is exactly why you see so many young men who end up transferring out to attend a smaller school...or who get a special waiver from their coach, allowing them to go to ANY school who will take them. In Penn State, there is a situation where some young men will feel it is the honorable thing to do..to stay on at PSU to play for a team that is they want to be their legacy. However, there are other players on the team who will want to play somewhere that they feel they will have a chance to win....something they were "promised" when they were recruited. Nobody forsaw the horrific things that would unfold at PSU, notably these young players. The NCAA is offering these players an option....they can stay and play for the Lions, or they can leave and play for their future. Contrary to how you are interpreting this, I feel Coach Richt, and any other team's coach (except Tech, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, and Auburn.....because I hate them!) are offering these players a way out of that horrible mess and a way to proceed on their hopeful career path! If your son or daughter was working in a business that was almost certainly doomed to succeed for the next 10 years, wouldn't you encourage them to at least consider if it is best for them to leave that "sinking ship"?

Frita's Boss
Frita's Boss 07/24/12 - 03:30 pm
What are you talking about?

Riverman

"I've been making comments on the Penn St. situation from the very start when the Sandusky story broke. Perhaps you should research earlier articles and my comments. I was very firm Paterno should have been immediately fired long before most were willing to take that step."

---- It's besides the point, but good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back.

"Of course, I understand how the rules work and the release given to Penn St players. But starting in 2014, Penn State will carry a maximum of 65 scholarship players on its roster. the cap on initial scholarships (minus-10) means they will be allowed to offer just 15 scholarships to the 2013 recruiting class. This number remains in effect for 2014, 2015 and 2016."

--- You failed to mention a 4 year ban on the post season, including Big Ten Championship Games. This is why the kids WANT to transfer to other schools.

"However, do we see big schools publicly making statements that so and so from a certain college would be welcome if they decided to come? No, because it would be raiding the other schools, interference and would eventually become total war. "

---Richt never mentioned any player by their names. He can't. It's against NCAA rules. The author is the one that assumes UGA will go after two of the players due to them taking official visits to UGA while in high school.

Raiding other schools? Every school in the country is looking at these young men. If you don't think so, you're either naive or just plain silly. Have your looked on espn.com or cnnsi.com about the other schools being interested in these kids?

"Interference?" With whom????????????????????? Nobody owns these kids. They are free to stay or go. IT IS COMPLETELY UP TO THEM.

"War?????" It is 100% up to the kid if he even wants to be contacted by a school. Are you listening?????????? Ask a Vet if he would compare recruiting to "WAR."

"If any Penn St. player decides to come to UGA that's up to him, but you don't target Penn St. players by talking about reviewing their roster and so on. You also don't publicly talk about star players at smaller colleges in hopes of getting them to transfer and play after sitting out the prescribed time."

-----WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????? Chuck Dowdle asked Richt if he was open to accepting transfers due to this unique situation at PSU. He answered the question. So what? Every coach in the country is looking at PSU's roster. Thats just a fact, Jack. If he wasn't looking at their roster, he wouldn't be doing his job.

Please show us where Richt has "publicly talked about star players at smaller colleges in hopes of getting them to transfer and play after sitting out the prescribed time." HE HAS NEVER DONE THIS. It's against the rules. Again, Marc Weiszer is the person mentioning the names.

"If anything Richt should be asking players who won't get playing time at UGA to look into transferring to Penn St. and helping out that program. That would be the honorable thing to do instead of encouraging remaining players to leave Penn St."

-------Really? This might be the dumbest thing written today.

RICHT DID NOTHING WRONG, RIVERMAN. Name YOUR team, and I guarantee you the head coach is willing to accept a PSU transfer. Go read the article on espn.com about USC wanting PSU's star running back. It doesn't mean the kid is going. AGAIN, it's up to the kid if HE wants to transfer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/12 - 04:05 pm
Look Guys..

Did you see what's in the article? He should have responded to the reporter's question that he didn't discuss or encourage players at other schools to transfer. End of story.

Penn St has been punished. Yeah, you also left out the $60 million fine, but I'm not trying to be picky. We all know what they are up against. If some leave that's up to them, but a coach should not be saying he would welcome players from any other team.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/24/12 - 05:17 pm
"I haven't heard Clemson say

"I haven't heard Clemson say a word about Penn St. players. South Carolina? Richt was out of line."
River, we haven't heard from most of the posters on this forum about Richt's comments regarding this matter. Um, ergo Riverman1 is out of line.
"If some leave that's up to them, but a coach should not be saying he would welcome players from any other team. ". Read the article again and tell me where exactly Richt said he welcomes players from any other team? Let me save you the trouble, because this is the closest thing he says..."Richt said. “It could be zero. It could be one or two. I don’t know what it could be. We’ll just see if it’s a fit, see if anybody’s interested and go from there.”. Do you honestly think that the Clemson or South Carolina coaches wouldn't be interested if Penn State had another Marcus Lattimore-type player on their roster who was from Carolina and has previously expressed a one-time interest in their school??? C'mon,River!! You know you think it....you know you'd agree with it...you know, deep down, you'd want it (if you were a Clemson or Cock fan)!

You are a man with alot of common sense, but something about this is just sticking in your craw and you aren't willing to back up on it. In other words, it ain't worth bringing up a blister on my finger tips trying to type some sense into you! Oh, well....everyone's got a right to their opinion.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/24/12 - 07:50 pm
My mistake

I apologize for involving myself in this debate. I have never heard grown men act more like children ever before on these boards. To hear you people one would think that the world turns around the game of football.!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 05:15 am
AJC Quote

"Coach Mark Richt said at a fans’ “UGA Day” Monday night, “Some colleges are going to be interested in some of their players, and we’re one of those schools. It’s pretty well-documented that we’re under our 85[-scholarship] limit. We’ll try to get in touch with some of these young men and see if they’re interested.”

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/25/12 - 06:00 am
Riverman

My 8:50PM last night was not intended for you. It was for the children. Please accept my apologies if you were offended.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/25/12 - 07:16 am
Swinney

"eligible immediately at their new schools. Swinney said he hadn’t recruited any players on PSU’s current roster, but would certainly listen if a player called with interest in his program." No big deal, but all coaches are looking. All of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 09:27 am
Mr. Duvall, we all luv ya. No

Mr. Duvall, we all luv ya. No problem. Heck, I even kind of like Justthefacts and the other guy. We are just sweaty, opinionated football fans.

JTF, I'll give you this, it does look like more and more coaches are saying they are interested in the players. Maybe IT IS more a philosophical question for me. I just believe everyone should leave the players alone. We know things are going to be very tough on the team. They should be encouraged to stay and help build a new era at the school.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/25/12 - 08:16 pm
Thanks, I guess

"kind of like Justthefacts". Heck, I like and respect RM alot. It's OK to disagree with someone opinion, isn't it? There is no absolute right or wrong opinion here. And yes, we all do respect Mr Duval, but disagreeing is not childish behavior.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/29/12 - 12:06 pm
justthefacts

You are absolutely right. I apologize to all that were offended. I guess I was having a bad day. After reaching my age you have a lot of bad days but that is no excuse for being rude.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/30/12 - 03:28 pm
No problem

Mr Duvall, no problem at all. We're good.

Monitor reports worsening Vogtle delays

Scheduling delays for two nuclear reactors under construction at Plant Vogtle are worsening, according to a report from a state-hired construction monitor.