University gives AD severance

File/Morris News Service
Damon Evans is out as UGA athletic director

ATHENS, Ga. --- A University of Georgia Athletic Association committee accepted Damon Evans' resignation Monday, four days after the Georgia State Patrol arrested him on a DUI charge during which Evans reminded the trooper about the powerful job he held.

Damon Evans, whose resignation as Georgia's athletic director went into effect Monday, apologized in a statement. The 40-year-old said that he has "a long road to rebuilding my reputation."   Associated Press
Associated Press

The athletic association's executive committee voted unanimously to approve the terms of Evans' departure after a 15-minute meeting Monday morning held by teleconference and closed to the public and press.

Evans submitted his resignation Sunday after a meeting with Ed Tolley, a lawyer who represents the university. Evans and University of Georgia President Michael Adams signed it Sunday, and it went into effect Monday.

The separation agreement that the committee approved includes a severance deal that will pay Evans about $237,500 -- a $100,000 longevity bonus after his six-year stint as athletic director, plus three months' salary.

Speculation immediately turned to who Evans' successor might be. Much of the talk focused on Greg McGarity, executive senior associate athletic director at the University of Florida.

Adams plans to talk about the future leadership of the athletic department today at a previously scheduled media briefing.

Anticipating a large turnout, university administrators moved the regular briefing from where it's normally held -- a small conference room in the Administration Building on North Campus -- to the spacious Mahler Auditorium in the Georgia Center for Continuing Education.

Besides McGarity, possible candidates to replace Evans might include senior athletics administrators already at Georgia, including Carla Williams, senior associate athletic director, and Frank Crumley, executive associate athletic director.

McGarity, a native of Athens, is already the choice for many in the Bulldog Nation.

"I sure hope they consider Greg McGarity," said Dan Magill, former Georgia tennis coach and ex-sports information director who has known McGarity since he was a child.

Magill described him as an extremely competent athletic administrator at Georgia before he left to take a job at Florida.

"I think he'd be the best choice for the job," agreed Charlie Berry, of Chickamauga, president of the Chattahoochee-Northwest Georgia Bulldog Club, one of the largest Georgia booster clubs. "I sincerely hope he gets it."

Adams' Statement

Athens, Ga. - University of Georgia President Michael F. Adams released the following statement Monday regarding the resignation of Damon Evans.

"Yesterday, July 4, 2010, University of Georgia Athletics Director Damon Evans submitted his resignation, which I have accepted. As I said on Thursday morning when I first learned of the situation, this is not an example of the kind of leadership that I expect our senior administrators to set. I have high regard for Damon personally; I care deeply about him and his family.

"Under a separation agreement and release endorsed today by the executive committee of the board of directors of the University of Georgia Athletic Association, Mr. Evans will receive a $100,000 longevity bonus for his prior service, in accordance with the terms of his contract, as well as three months' salary as severance. We acknowledge the many positive accomplishments of his tenure, including an increased focus on the academic success of student-athletes, the overall financial strength of the athletic department and the hiring of many very good people as head coaches and senior leaders in the athletic department.

"I will address the future leadership of the athletic department during my regularly scheduled media briefing at 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 6, in Mahler Auditorium at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education."

Evans' statement

"I would like to once again offer my sincerest apology to the University of Georgia people -- the president and administration, athletic staff and coaches, fans and supporters, and especially the student-athletes. It had been my hope since taking the job in 2004 that I would have a long career at UGA. But because of a serious mistake in judgment, that won't be the case and I understand that I have a long road to rebuilding my reputation and career. I do want to thank all those who have supported me and the Athletic Association over the past six years and would encourage all those in our Association to remember that they are there for the student-athletes. Keep them first and foremost in everything you do. God bless and 'Go Dawgs.' "

Damon Evans

July 5, 2010

Read the agreement

Read the separation agreement between former Athletic Director Damon Evans and the University of Georgia.
Jillian
Jillian 07/05/10 - 09:58 am
Wonder if the lady involved

Wonder if the lady involved will be fired from her job as well?

dani
dani 07/05/10 - 10:19 am
Many people in prominent

Many people in prominent positions seem to get the idea that they can have it all. It won't happen folks. Life is not perfect.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/05/10 - 10:25 am
On the other thread, Justus

On the other thread, Justus said Evans was stopped for "driving while black." The answer to Jillian's question is that the lady involved will not be fired because she was just "being dumb while blonde."

Indigo
Indigo 07/05/10 - 10:54 am
Losing his job wont stop

Losing his job wont stop drunk driving, take his license, for good.

Insider Information
Insider Information 07/05/10 - 11:04 am
The question is how much

The question is how much willl all of this cost us? He had just signed a new contract worth a half million bucks.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 07/05/10 - 11:09 am
the AD's new contract was for

the AD's new contract was for five years at $550,000 a YEAR plus raises and bonuses. it was expected to be worth over $3,000,000. foolish man.

lsmith
lsmith 07/05/10 - 12:00 pm
Move over Tiger

Move over Tiger

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/10 - 12:25 pm
InsiderInfo, the article says

InsiderInfo, the article says he got $100,000 plus 3 months severance pay.

Yeah, that picture of him, the girl's panties in his lap and Mark Richt being such a religious person did him in. The former Lakeside girl has severely damaged her dating life if nothing else.

In the old days the football coach was the AD. Why not do that again to save money?

redapples
redapples 07/05/10 - 12:28 pm
His position was to be a

His position was to be a leader of student athletes. His actions do not set a good example and I believe the outcome to be appropriate. I feel bad for his family and the young people he led, but it sets an example to the young people that there are consequences for lapses in judgment.

maninthamirror
maninthamirror 07/05/10 - 12:52 pm
RESIGNED. his butt should

RESIGNED. his butt should have been fired!! Thus NO PAY at taxpayer expense!

fatboyhog
1902
fatboyhog 07/05/10 - 01:08 pm
Good one, stingray. When you

Good one, stingray. When you have nothing else to fall back on, throw the race card. It's the tried and true defense. It's just too bad that you can't see that this man was responsible for setting an example for hundreds of young men and women headed to college. Do you understand that? Do you not understand that it would be difficult to lead and have standards when those standards aren't adhered to by the one setting those standards? The only one keeping black Americans from getting anywhere is those who always want to scream something other than "personal responsibility".

emanuel kant
emanuel kant 07/05/10 - 01:28 pm
personal responsibility

personal responsibility ..like lilly white wall street...bankrupting the nation and than trying to blame cleaning ladies and car mechanics for americas demise..like sanford going to argentinia...and ...hating on the unemployed....like haggard being healed from his gayness....lol....oggg my

seb1
seb1 07/05/10 - 02:09 pm
Should have been home

Should have been home celebrating with his wife and kids.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/10 - 02:20 pm
If we could get the video and

If we could get the video and audio of this it could be as big a classic as "Who Shot Boo." Imagine Evans staggering all over, the girls panties falling off him, her getting out continuously and him saying he is the UGA Athletic director. Someone needs to figure how to get ahold of the GSP audio and video.

corgimom
corgimom 07/05/10 - 04:10 pm
There is nothing so costly as

There is nothing so costly as a lady who is free for the evening.

dani
dani 07/05/10 - 04:29 pm
Please. Why would one think

Please. Why would one think she's a "lady"?

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the danger to the public from a drunk driver.

Jillian
Jillian 07/05/10 - 04:38 pm
If she has a job she needs to

If she has a job she needs to be fired just like he does. Both of them are scumbags and deserve each other.

fontana
fontana 07/05/10 - 04:57 pm
Maybe Tiger can give him a

Maybe Tiger can give him a few good pointers.

secretagentman
secretagentman 07/05/10 - 05:11 pm
claiming racism over this is

claiming racism over this is absolutely asinine. He was in a position of leadership and responsibility.. if anyone can show me where a recent UGA administrator at this level of pay and responsibility has gotten a pass on 1. drunk driving and 2. getting caught with girls' panties while married please show me...
I feel sorry for his wife and kids but not him... I honestly believe he might have kept his job if wasnt for the red panties...... It was a double whammy bust as far as his job. If the AD at my university was caught like this I would be happy to see him fired.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 07/05/10 - 06:53 pm
A quarter of a millions

A quarter of a millions dollars for carousing and chasing young "ladies"? Pretty good in my book. I use to do that when I was younger, but nobody ever paid me anything.

Cadence
Cadence 07/05/10 - 07:05 pm
I guess his children will

I guess his children will always remember the 4th of July weekend 2010.

disssman
disssman 07/05/10 - 07:25 pm
Why is it that no one in

Why is it that no one in government (especially a university) can write a contract? This buffon gets a contract for mega bucks, acts like a pimp, and we still treat him like royalty. I say give us a plumber or electrician to write these contracts and make sure it says if you bring discredit to the school or state, you are out period, no bonus, no severance pay, nothing but your last paycheck for the days you worked up to the deed you did.

maninthamirror
maninthamirror 07/05/10 - 08:40 pm
dead nut, spot on diss!

dead nut, spot on diss!

soldout
soldout 07/05/10 - 08:53 pm
Living Bible; Proverbs 20

Living Bible; Proverbs 20 verse 1, "Wine gives false courage; hard liquor leads to brawls; what fools men are to let it master them, making them reel drunkenly down the street." The Bible is always current and always true.

showboat
showboat 07/05/10 - 09:08 pm
i guess he can work for

i guess he can work for Frazier @GHHS they will do a great job as a pair, two drunks!!!!!!!!LOL

kkisme
kkisme 07/05/10 - 09:37 pm
A hundred thousand and 3

A hundred thousand and 3 months severance pay for breaking the law, huh? Not to mention the fact that he could have seriously injured or killed someone. Not too shabby...thanks to the University of Georgia Executive Committee! Don't think he needs any pointers from Tiger afterall.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/05/10 - 09:48 pm
Vince Dooley will be the

Vince Dooley will be the interim director until they find someone else.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/06/10 - 01:51 am
Hey! He was out for a

Hey! He was out for a midnight snack. Those were edible, right?

nofrills
nofrills 07/06/10 - 05:56 am
I need a job where if I do

I need a job where if I do wrong I can bow out and still get paid! What is wrong with the people running UGA? He should not have been given a severance deal. He shouldn't get another nickle as far as I am concerned.

isaidit
isaidit 07/06/10 - 06:20 am
A very shameful situation for

A very shameful situation for a guy who did a great job for the university; unfortunately there's no 2nd chances for this guy.....too bad he's not Bill Clinton!