Bulldogs' bowl picture still fuzzy

ATHENS, Ga. --- Now that Georgia is bowl eligible, the question is, where will the Bulldogs go bowling?

The Southeastern Conference has qualified nine teams, which means there are few certainties for bowl executives.

"It is probably as crazy as I've seen it in the 12 years I've been the CEO/president," Chick-fil-A Bowl's Gary Stokan said Monday before heading into a team selection committee meeting where he planned to report that eight SEC teams, including Georgia, are still on the Atlanta bowl's radar.

Tennessee's loss to Ole Miss and Georgia's win over Auburn on Saturday further scrambled the bowl picture.

Top-ranked Florida and No. 2 Alabama are almost certain to play in BCS bowls, and No. 10 LSU (8-2) or Ole Miss (7-3) seem to have the inside track on the Capital One Bowl, which has the first selection of SEC teams after the BCS.

The Outback Bowl and Cotton Bowl go next. The Outback has the first pick of available SEC East teams, and the Cotton has the first from the West.

Georgia (6-4) "is right in the middle of our discussions, absolutely," said Jim McVay, the president and CEO of the Jan. 1 Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla.

So are a handful of other teams. Ole Miss, Arkansas (6-4) and Kentucky (6-4) also became bowl-eligible Saturday. Tennessee (5-5) needs one more win for eligibility but could get to 7-5 with games left against Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Auburn (7-4) and South Carolina (6-5) already had nailed down postseason opportunities.

"I think the only people that we don't have a shot at are Florida and Alabama or somebody that has too many losses," said McVay, whose bowl also selects a Big Ten team. "Anybody that has four or fewer losses is in the mix."

After the Outback and Cotton bowls, the Chick-fil-A picks an SEC team for its Dec. 31 bowl against an Atlantic Coast Conference team. Then come the Music City and Liberty bowls. One of those three would appear to be the Bulldogs' most likely destination, barring an upset of No. 7 Georgia Tech on Nov. 28.

"Certainly if Georgia were to beat Kentucky and Georgia Tech, they would be very appealing to us," Stokan said.

Said the Outback's McVay: "They're 6-4. Georgia can finish real strong."

South Carolina went to the Outback Bowl last season with a 7-5 record.

Georgia wants to play in the best bowl possible, but quarterback Joe Cox said that's not the team's focus.

"Our biggest concern isn't what bowl game we'll be in," he said. "We just want to finish up the season 8-4, and whatever happens after that, we'll deal with that when it comes."

Reach Marc Weiszer at marc.weiszer@onlineathens.com.

smartie
smartie 11/17/09 - 07:45 am
or, sambo, more likely,

or, sambo, more likely, they'll finish 8-4, with a victory over the acc champs.

roundaboutway
roundaboutway 11/17/09 - 08:54 am
They will beat Kentucky.

They will beat Kentucky. Tech will be more difficult unfortunately.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 11/17/09 - 08:57 am
I'm a die-hard UGA Alumi and

I'm a die-hard UGA Alumi and never have I seen so many mistakes and penalties. Frankly, I don't think we deserve to go to a Bowl. Mark Richt is a very fine man and coach, just not agressive enough to win the ones that count. If some changes aren't made, we'll be looking for a coach.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/17/09 - 11:32 am
Yea, let's let one

Yea, let's let one "rebuilding" year after losing 3 first round picks drive us to fire a coach who has won two SEC titles. Ridiculous fair weather fans, bandwagon fans. Don't deserve a bowl?? Well, hey don't go or watch it. I will.

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/17/09 - 11:32 am
Wake up Smartie, your dawgs

Wake up Smartie, your dawgs are going down on Nov. 28th!!!

smartie
smartie 11/17/09 - 11:55 am
you tell 'em, jtf. i never

you tell 'em, jtf. i never heard such whining. and as for you, sueboo, on dec. 28th, you'll become boohoo! how about your friend knave? don't here much out of him during the daylight hours. he must use that gt education patrolling the scrap metal yards at night.

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/17/09 - 12:07 pm
Don't know Knave smartie but

Don't know Knave smartie but maybe you need to change your name to dummy since you can't even get the date right of when your tail will be tucked. Go Jackets!! Enough said on this subject until Nov. 28th.

smartie
smartie 11/17/09 - 02:00 pm
yes, yes! the date. it can't

yes, yes! the date. it can't get here soon enough. i want bother you, sueboo, until after the game, if that's what you want. i admire you techies, to stay interested, despite thrashing after thrashing from the dawgs. you know what? on second thought, i think i will bother you! it's fun! :)

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/17/09 - 04:07 pm
Hey smartie, I love the

Hey smartie, I love the camaraderie! :) Hey I have a bowl for them dawgs, how about the toilet bowl? LOL

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 11/17/09 - 04:31 pm
Ga. needs to light a fire

Ga. needs to light a fire under Richt's ars. Everybody looses people to the draft. Do you think Fla and Ala kept everybody. Last year we had the all americans and we still made excuses for Richt. Bottom line, he is the head coach and get all the big money and is responsible. How many top recruits (4 and 5 star players) do you need before we see results. Rember when we won the a lot of the championships we did that with Donnan's boys. By the way I love UGA.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/17/09 - 04:59 pm
Gosh, sueboo, so original. I

Gosh, sueboo, so original. I have never heard that one before! Is that the one Ga Tech has been going to for yrs? It's in Boise, I think.

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/17/09 - 05:09 pm
Who asked you Justus??? Oh

Who asked you Justus??? Oh my bad, Just. ha ha I was just having a little fun with smartie.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/17/09 - 05:20 pm
Richt is 86-26 playing in the

Richt is 86-26 playing in the toughest conference there is. It's a down year. It happens. Ga has won two SEC titles this decade. UF has won two and AL has won NONE. AL lost 7 games in 06 and 6 games in 07. UF lost 4 games in 07. Tebow has made UF unbeatable. It won't last forever.

smartie
smartie 11/17/09 - 05:22 pm
if they lose to tech, sueboo,

if they lose to tech, sueboo, they should go to the toilet bowl. but, this dawg aint, excuse me, isn't (knave might grade my homework tonight) worried about that. the way i see it, once we slaughter you techies, we probably should get an invite to whichever bowl the acc champs would go to. and one more issue, jtf, i gotta disagree. those kids committed to georgia. donnan couldn't deliver what coach richt has delivered twice.

smartie
smartie 11/17/09 - 05:25 pm
i'm sorry, jtf. that was

i'm sorry, jtf. that was intended for Georgias #1. i've got these yellowjackets swarming around me, discombobulating me. how 'bout that word, knave?

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/17/09 - 05:33 pm
Slaughter???? LMAO Bring it

Slaughter???? LMAO Bring it on Nov.28th!!! Go Jackets!!

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 11/17/09 - 06:19 pm
I'm thinking that the

I'm thinking that the Bulldogs can probably play in the puppy bowl that they broadcast every year during the Super Bowl. You know, the adorable puppies roaming around looking cute. They would probably score at least 20 on Martinez' defense.

john18
john18 11/19/09 - 07:18 pm
What gets me about the Tech

What gets me about the Tech fans is that I always see these comments about UGA from Tech fans. The difference between Tech and GA fans is simply that UGA fans just dont care what happens to Tech. I can honestly say I never read any online articles about Tech. We could really care less, but Tech fans love to dog on UGA when times are good or not. I guess that is what happens when you are jealous.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...