Ex-Missouri star weathers storm
In Greensboro, N.C., cold temperatures and wind from Superstorm Sandy made scoring conditions difficult for most of the field in Wednesday’s first round of the eGolf Tour’s Forest Oaks Open.
Only eight players in the field broke 70 in a round that had a half-hour frost delay.
Former Missouri golfer Peter Malnati handled the conditions, shooting 7-under-par 65 for the lead. Joshua Brock was second at 66.
Current Georgia Open champion Jonathan Fricke, of Covington, shot 67.
After that, the scoring was so high that former Augusta State All-American Henrik Norlander is tied for 14th after shooting 72. Mitch Krywulycz, another former Jaguar, had 75.
Malnati and Norlander are among the golfers using this event to keep their games sharp. Last week, they advanced to the second stage of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament, which begins in two weeks.
Martin to speak at Pacers’ event
First-year South Carolina men’s basketball coach Frank Martin is the keynote speaker for tonight’s USC Aiken Men’s Basketball Tip-Off Banquet.
The evening starts at 6 p.m. with a special VIP social in the VIP Room of the Convocation Center in Aiken.
The dinner portion of event will begin at 7.
Tickets can be purchased by calling (803) 641-3486, (803) 641-3438 or at the USC Aiken Athletic Department offices.
• The USC Aiken women’s basketball team has been selected as the preseason co-favorite with Clayton State in the Peach Belt Conference preseason Poll.
Augusta State is picked to finish ninth in the 14-team conference.
• After a lengthy NCAA investigation, UCLA freshman Kyle Anderson has been cleared to play, the university announced Wednesday.
There is still no timetable for a resolution in a separate NCAA investigation into fellow freshman Shabazz Muhammad.
Anderson, a 6-foot-9 guard who was ranked No. 5 overall on ESPN 100 in the Class of 2012, has been practicing with the Bruins the past two weeks and will play in the season opener Nov. 9 against Indiana State.
• USC Aiken’s golf team has moved up two spots to third in the latest Golfstat NCAA Division II Head-to-Head standings.
Golfstat takes into account numerous statistical data and ranks teams based on potential head-to-head competition.
• USC Aiken’s volleyball team holds down the eighth spot in the NCAA Division II Southeast Region rankings.
Eight teams from the region will receive an invitation to the NCAA Division II Championships.
Djokovic ousted in second round
In Paris, Sam Querrey recovered from a humiliating first set to beat second-seeded Novak Djokovic 0-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the second round of the Paris Masters.
It was the first time since the Miami Masters in March 2010 that Djokovic has been eliminated so early.
• In Sofia, Bulgaria, Caroline Wozniacki defeated Roberta Vinci 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the semifinals of the Tournament of Champions.
It was the second win for the top-seeded Dane in the group-stage format after her victory over Hsieh Su-Wei.
• Petra Kvitova regards this weekend’s Fed Cup final in Prague as her last chance to salvage a year which has been a big comedown after her stellar 2011.
Kvitova led the Czech Republic last year to its first Fed Cup title in 23 years.