Pacers, Patriots play to deadlock
In Aiken, senior defender Chevy Augustine headed in both of USC Aiken’s goals in the Pacers’ 2-2 double overtime tie with Francis Marion in Peach Belt Conference play on Wednesday night.
Augustine’s second goal came at the 87:58 mark of regulation to force overtime.
USC Aiken, which has played seven overtime matches this season, is 4-4-4 and 1-4-1 Peach Belt Conference.
• In Savannah, Ga., the USC Aiken women’s soccer team held second-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State scoreless for a half, but the Lady Pirates came alive in the second half for a 4-0 victory.
USC Aiken drops to 4-8-3, 3-4-1 Peach Belt Conference while Armstrong Atlantic improves to 12-1-1, 8-0 PBC.
• In the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference preseason basketball polls, the Paine College men are picked to finish second in the eastern division and the Lady Lions are picked to finish sixth.
The picks were made the SIAC basketball coaches associations.
The Lady Lions’ Ariel Brown, a junior guard, made the 10-player women’s preseason All-SIAC team.
North Augustan is player of year
A day after being named to the American Junior Golf Association Rolex All-American first team, North Augusta’s Matt NeSmith was named the association’s boys player of the year.
NeSmith, who has cracked the starting lineup as a freshman on the South Carolina golf team, won four of the five individual junior tournaments he played in and spent the final nine weeks of his junior career ranked No. 1 in the Polo Golf Rankings.
He will be among those honored on Nov. 18 during the Rolex Junior All-America Awards Banquet at PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
• In Aiken, today’s final round of the Women’s Eastern Golf Association’s Senior Amateur Championship at Houndslake Country Club is shaping up to be a two- woman battle.
Pat Brogden, of Garner, N.C., has a one-shot lead over Patty Moore, of Charlotte, N.C. Peg Brady, the next-closest golfer, is six shots off the lead.
Brogden has shot 77-71-148 and Moore has turned in rounds of 76-73–149. Brady, the first-round co-leader, is at 75-79–154.
North Augusta’s Ashley Rose, who shared the lead with Brady after Day 1, shot 90 on Wednesday.
• Tiger Woods plans to start his season in the Abu Dhabi Championship on the European Tour. The dates are Jan. 17-20.
Bonner, Williams to be inductees
Norman Bonner and Dr. Roscoe Williams are the two Augusta City Classic Hall of Fame inductees for 2012.
Bonner was a multi-sports star at Laney, where he went on to coach the boys basketball team for nearly 40 years.
Williams was a basketball star at Laney and Paine College. He was later the Dean of Students at Augusta State, a college basketball coach and University System of Georgia Regent.
Bonner and Williams will be inducted during the Augusta City Classic Hall of Fame Banquet, scheduled for Oct. 25 at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center.
• The Georgia Cross cyclocross series’ Augusta Cross presented by the Augusta Sports Council will be held Sunday. The cyclists will compete in timed races on a one-mile circuit that weaves through Lake Olmstead Park. Racing will begin at 10 a.m. and the final race will start at 3:15 p.m.