Local MMA fighter who died passed pre-bout physical

Augustan's death puzzling to loved ones

  • Follow Other sports

Back | Next
Chris Cole, a cousin of Tyrone "Teesta" Mims, said family and friends are trying to make sense of Mims' death. The fighter died after his Saturday night bout.  CHRIS GAY/STAFF
Chris Cole, a cousin of Tyrone "Teesta" Mims, said family and friends are trying to make sense of Mims' death. The fighter died after his Saturday night bout.

As he prepared for his first sanctioned MMA fight, Tyrone “Teesta” Mims joked around with others and flashed his bright smile.

In great condition, he passed the pre-fight physical. Mims appeared ready.

That’s why his family and friends are trying to figure out Monday how it all went so wrong. The 30-year-old Augusta amateur fighter died after his Saturday night bout in Charleston, S.C.

“We’re just trying to make sense of it all,” said Chris Cole, a cousin of Mims. “You couldn’t find a guy with a bigger heart.”

At a Monday news conference, MMA officials and friends said Mims was prepared for his big fight against Blake Poore. Augusta Fight Club team physician Jeffrey Broder said he was the “perfect specimen.”

“The guy was in great shape,” Broder said. “There wasn’t one sign of any problem he would’ve had.”

Mims dominated the first round of his three-round match. He appeared to be in control of Round 2 until Poore knocked him down. Then, Sims appeared fatigued. The referee called the bout. After he left the ring, Mims went back to the locker room to have his gloves cut off. Then, he complained of chest pain.

An autopsy for Mims was scheduled for Monday. Even that might not comfort those like Christopher Hauser, who called Mims his “brother,” a guy he saw compete harder at the Augusta Fight Club than in his Saturday match.

Mims was one of several fighters featured in an upcoming reality TV show called Georgia Boys: Grits N’ Glory. Officials with the series said they are accepting donations at the show’s Web site, www.gaboysgritsnglory.com, to offset the cost of the funeral and to set up a trust fund for his five children, ages 4 to 12.

Mark Crump, executive producer of Georgia Boys: Grits N’ Glory, read a statement on the family’s behalf.

“Teesta loved being a trained mixed martial arts fighter and was very excited to be a part of a reality television show,” Crimp said. “There are risks involved in every contact sport, and the participants are well aware of them. We will not speculate on the cause of his death and will wait to receive the official coroner’s report.”

Comments (4) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Chief_Broom 08/14/12 - 08:41 am
If he was complaining of

If he was complaining of chest pains, he should have been taken to the hospital.

itsanotherday1 08/14/12 - 09:41 am
PRONTO!! But of course, they

PRONTO!! But of course, they may have called medics as far as we know. Heart attacks in people this young are usually fatal.

BombquishaDavis 08/14/12 - 11:20 am

I remember when he and his twin were born. The entire Hill neighborhood and his gym family is in shock and grieving. May God bless his family. We will keep you in our prayers.

pommom38 08/14/12 - 12:18 pm
He was

He was taken to the hospital immediately Broom, died later.
Medics on site can only do so much. My thoughts and prayers are with the MMA and T's family.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs