Lady Jags finish in 16th in Athens
In Athens, Ga., the Augusta State women finished 16th at the Liz Murphey Classic.
The Lady Jaguars posted 303 in the final round to end the 54-hole tournament at 58-over 922 at the University of Georgia Course. Alabama won the title at 854.
Among players counting for Augusta State, Natalie Wille (79-73-75–227) tied for 49th, Kirsty Rands (80-74-75–229) tied for 56th, Casey Kennedy (77-83-75–235) tied for 78th, Chistine Duschek-Hansen (75-82-79–236) tied for 82nd and Marit Bjerke (83-79-78–240) tied for 88th.
Jennifer Kirby, of Alabama, won the individual title at 7-under 209.
• In Charleston, S.C., North Augusta’s Matt NeSmith shot his third consecutive 66 on Sunday to win the Azalea Invitational at the Country Club of Charleston.
NeSmith finished at 270 and won by three shots over Jimmy Liu, of Smithtown, N.Y.
Augusta’s John Engler tied for 16th at 283.
Jaguars fall to ’Canes at home
Michel Coffey had three hits and two RBI as Georgia Southwestern beat Augusta State 11-4 to win the series at Lake Olmstead Stadium.
Kevin Dodson had two RBI for the Jaguars, who dropped two of three to the Hurricanes.
• In St. Augustine, Fla., USC Aiken swept a doubleheader against Flagler.
Nick Aranas had two home runs as the Pacers beat the Saints 18-10 in the opener.
USC Aiken (25-9, 15-6 PBC) beat Flagler (20-14, 9-9) in the second game, 4-1.
Will Tankersley went deep for the Pacers in the nightcap.
• In Athens, Ga., Austin Cousino and J.T. Riddle homered to lead Kentucky (27-2, 7-2 Southeastern Conference) to an 11-2 win over Georgia.
Hunter Cole had a home run for the Bulldogs (18-11, 4-5).
• In Atlanta, Mark Lumpa was 3 for 3 with an RBI in Duke’s 4-3 win over Georgia Tech.
Brandon Thomas was 3 for 5 with an RBI for the Yellow Jackets (18-11, 6-6 Atlantic Coast Conference).
• In Nashville, Tenn., Christian Walker hit a two-run home run in the top of the 13th inning, leading South Carolina to a 6-4 win over Vanderbilt (11-17, 3-6 SEC).
LB Dantzler homered and drove in three runs for the Gamecocks (20-8, 3-6).
• In Clemson, S.C., Dale Carey drove in two runs, leading Miami (21-7, 8-4 ACC) to a 4-2 win over Clemson.
Phil Pohl had two RBI for the Tigers (14-13, 5-7).
Power repeats as Alabama winner
In Birmingham, Ala., Will Power surged from the pack to win his second consecutive Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, once again holding off Scott Dixon.
Power started ninth but took the lead on a late caution and pulled back in front of Dixon on the double-file restart with 16 laps left Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park.
Power and Dixon pulled away from the field for a 1-2 finish for the second straight race here. St. Petersburg winner and pole-sitter Helio Castroneves edged Graham Rahal for third.
U.S. women get draw vs. Japan
In Sendai, Japan, Alex Morgan scored in the 72nd minute to give the United States a 1-1 draw with Japan, the team that beat them in the final of the Women’s World Cup last year.
• Former Italy, Lazio and New York Cosmos star Giorgio Chinaglia has died of complications from a heart attack. He was 65.