Fight that's not happening still drawing lots of interest

  • Follow Other sports

NEW YORK — A trumpet blared a fanfare to introduce Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto as fans at the Apollo Theater cheered the start of Tuesday’s news conference to promote their May 5 fight in Las Vegas.

Floyd Mayweather (left) will face Miguel Cotto on May 5 for Cotto's WBA super welterweight title. But Mayweather spent much of a news conference on Tuesday talking about contender Manny Pacquiao.  SETH WENIG/ASSOCIATED PRESS
SETH WENIG/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Floyd Mayweather (left) will face Miguel Cotto on May 5 for Cotto's WBA super welterweight title. But Mayweather spent much of a news conference on Tuesday talking about contender Manny Pacquiao.

Still, there appeared to be far more interest in the fight that’s not happening – a matchup between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather made clear that whether they meet in the ring is about the money – breaking down the shares in what could be boxing’s richest fight ever.

“Just by speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he’s not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,” Mayweather said. “He faces Floyd Mayweather, he’s not getting 50-50. Not at all. No one is getting 50-50.”

While Mayweather urged Pacquiao should “take the test,” a reference to his demand for random drug testing, payout appears to be the real sore point between Mayweather on one side, and Pacquiao and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum on the other. Arum has said testing is not an issue.

This dispute has spilled into federal court. Pacquiao sued Mayweather for defamation in December 2009, alleging Mayweather falsely accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs. Pacquiao gave depositions in the case last week in Las Vegas.

“If I offered him $30 million, he should be happy,” Mayweather said. “If I offered him $30 million and I didn’t give money on the back end, why should I? He’s with Arum right now, and they’re having problems. It’s obvious he must not be getting money on the back end.”

Mayweather says he’s not ducking Pacquiao, who stopped Cotto in the 12th round of their November 2009 fight.

“If I’m scared and I’m a coward, why do you guys want to see me fight?” he said. “Do I want the Pacquiao fight? Absolutely. But it’s going to be hard to make the fight because Arum is worried about getting money.”

CHISORA SUSPENDED: The WBC suspended British boxer Dereck Chisora indefinitely on Tuesday following his brawl with former WBA champion David Haye after a title fight against Vitali Klitschko in Germany.

The WBC issued a statement announcing the ban and harshly criticized Chisora’s conduct before and after the Feb. 18 fight, saying it “is considered one of the worst behaviors ever by a professional boxer.”

Chisora slapped Klitschko in the face during the weigh-in for the WBC heavyweight bout, then spat water in his brother Wladimir’s face before the fight started. After he lost a unanimous decision, he responded to Haye’s taunts during his news conference by walking through the crowd and starting a brawl with his fellow British boxer.

The WBC said it is also giving Chisora a “serious fine,” but that the amount will be determined after a hearing.

Chisora can still fight for titles sanctioned by the WBA or IBF.


Top headlines

Former Augusta VA director paid $76,000 to retire after death investigation launched

Under the terms of the contract, Rebecca Wiley agreed to dismiss any allegations against the VA of wrongful or unlawful conduct on the condition the agency pays her $76,006 to retire, restores 238 ...
Search Augusta jobs