Jags will honor military at game
It will be Military Appreciation Day at Augusta State’s Peach Belt Conference doubleheader against Flagler on Saturday at Christenberry Fieldhouse.
The women’s game starts at 1:30 p.m. followed by the men’s game at 3:30.
All active-duty and retired servicemen and servicewomen, along with their families, will receive complimentary admission into the games with a form of military ID.
• In Columbia, Mo., Brittney Griner scored 18 points and Kimetria Hayden added 15 points with four steals to help the No. 1-ranked Baylor women roll past Missouri 71-41.
• In Lubbock, Texas, Sydney Carter scored 17 points and Adaora Elonu added 16 to lead the Texas A&M women to a 67-55 win over No. 25 Texas Tech.
Ali’s trainer dies in Florida at 90
Angelo Dundee, the trainer who helped groom Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard into world champions and became one of boxing’s most recognizable figures, died Wednesday in Florida. He was 90.
• Floyd Mayweather Jr. said Wednesday he will fight Miguel Cotto on May 5 in Las Vegas.
Mayweather made the announcement after getting a conditional one-fight license and a lecture from Nevada athletic commissioners.
MacArthur goal lifts Maple Leafs
In Toronto, James Reimer stopped all 25 shots he faced and Clarke MacArthur scored in the third period to lift the Toronto Maple Leafs over the Pittsburgh Penguins 1-0.
• In Sunrise, Fla., Mikael Samuelsson had two goals and the Florida Panthers beat the Washington Capitals 4-2.
• In Buffalo, N.Y., Ryan Callahan scored the decisive shootout goal and Henrik Lundqvist stopped 34 shots to lead the New York Rangers to a 1-0 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
Gronkowski still hasn’t practiced
Rob Gronkowski missed his fourth consecutive practice with the New England Patriots with a high left ankle sprain.
With only four days to go before the Super Bowl, the All-Pro tight end still hasn’t worked out with his teammates in Indianapolis.
Ex-Braves hurler dies of cancer
Former Atlanta Braves pitcher Rick Behenna has died after battling cancer. He was 51.
Behenna was part of the 1983 trade that sent Braves outfielder Brett Butler and third baseman Brook Jacoby to Cleveland for pitcher Len Barker.
Behenna went 3-10 with a 6.12 ERA in three seasons as a starter and reliever.
• Reliever Francisco Cordero and the Toronto Blue Jays finalized a $4.5 million, one-year contract.
The 36-year-old right-hander was 5-3 with a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves in 43 chances for Cincinnati last season.
Ljubicic is upset in Zagreb event
In Zagreb, Croatia, Michael Berrer, of Germany, upset top-seeded Ivan Ljubicic 6-4, 6-4 to advance to the quarterfinals of Zagreb Indoors.
• In Montpellier, France, Gilles Simon and Richard Gasquet both won in straight sets to reach the Open Sud de France quarterfinals.