Ray Guy Award finalists named
The Augusta Sports Council announced three finalists for the Ray Guy Award on Monday. The finalists were selected by a national voting body of Football Bowl Subdivision coaches, sports information directors, national media, and former Ray Guy Award winners.
Junior Ryan Allen (Louisiana Tech), sophomore Steven Clark (Auburn) and junior Jackson Rice (Oregon) are up for the award that will be featured live on The Home Depot College Football Awards on Dec. 8 on ESPN.
Paine standouts get SIAC honors
Paine’s Mario Jordan and Darius Smith were honored by the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference on Monday.
Jordan, who averaged 13 points and 4.5 rebounds in two games last week, was named the conference’s player of the week. Smith, who averaged 16 points and 8.5 rebounds, earned newcomer of the week honors.
• USC Aiken baseball coach Kenny Thomas announced the signing of six players on Monday.
Right-hander Roberto Hernandez Jr., first baseman/outfielder James Lynch, shortstop William Moore, catcher Charles Padilla, right-hander Adrian Rivero and righty Christian Turnipseed will join the Pacers for the 2013 season.
Hernandez’s father is a former major league pitcher and a member of the USC Aiken Athletics Hall of Fame. The stadium in which the baseball team plays is named after him.
• The USC Aiken volleyball team announced the addition of outside hitter Victoria Day and middle hitter Alyssa Johnson for the 2012 season.
Vikings star has sprained ankle
Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has a high ankle sprain that will put him in a walking boot this week, leaving his availability for Sunday’s game at Atlanta in question.
Coach Leslie Frazier said Monday that Peterson has a Grade 1 sprain, the least severe of the three categories, with “a little bit of” ligament damage.
• Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has a broken thumb on his right throwing hand and will undergo surgery, a major blow for a team contending for a playoff spot in the NFC.
Coach Lovie Smith said Cutler will be out “for an extended time” but he expects to get him back this season.
• The Kansas City Chiefs placed quarterback Matt Cassel on injured reserve with a hand injury, ending his season.
Cassel had surgery on his right throwing hand Nov. 14 after being injured one day earlier in a 17-10 loss to Denver.
• Green Bay running back James Starks has a sprained knee and a sore ankle, leaving his availability in doubt for the Packers’ game at Detroit on Thanksgiving Day.
Major League Baseball
Valentine meets with Red Sox GM
Bobby Valentine interviewed to become manager of the Boston Red Sox with general manager Ben Cherington.
Valentine managed in the major leagues with Texas (1985-92) and the Mets (1996-02).
• Former All-Star Joe Nathan and the Texas Rangers have agreed to a two-year contract with a club option for 2014, a move that means closer Neftali Feliz will shift to the starting rotation.
• The Pittsburgh Pirates have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with shortstop Clint Barmes.