Hearing for Evans is postponed until fall
An Atlanta official says a court hearing for former University of Georgia athletic director Damon Evans on a drunken driving charge has been postponed.
Atlanta Municipal Court administrator Doug Mincher said Thursday that the hearing for the 40-year-old Evans, which had been scheduled for Monday, has been postponed until Oct. 4 at the request of Evans' attorney, Steve Weiner.
Evans resigned as athletic director on Sunday.
- Mel Turpin , an All-American center nicknamed "The Big Dipper" who led Kentucky to the Southeastern Conference basketball championship in 1984 and played in the NBA, committed suicide Thursday, authorities said. He was 49.
RiverHawks release schedule for season
The Augusta RiverHawks released their 2010-11 schedule on Thursday.
Twenty-two of the RiverHawks' 28 home games will be played on Friday or Saturday nights, including their home opener, which is set for 7:30 p.m. Oct. 22, against the Louisiana Ice Gators at James Brown Arena.
The RiverHawks will play a home preseason game against the Fayetteville FireAntz on Oct. 16.
Knox, son three off lead in Georgia Am
In Savannah, Ga., Sea Island's Jack Hall shot 3-under-par 69 to take a one-stroke lead after the first round of the Georgia Amateur on the Deer Creek Course at The Landings Club.
Augusta's Jeff Knox, and his son, Lee , shot 72s to lead the local contingent and are tied for 12th.
Wilkes Murray shot 74, Tom Hardy had 75, Josh Gregory and Tripp Kuhlke shot 76s, Chase Parker and Brian Carter had 77s, Rob Bennett , Matthew Motes and Jimbo Garren Jr. , shot 78s, Brad Jones and George Bullard had 80s and Jefferson Murray and Jacob Tilton shot 81s.
- In Bluffton, S.C., Augusta State golfer Mitch Krywulycz shot 71 and is tied for seventh after the first round of The Players Amateur at Belfair Golf Club.
James White, of Acworth, Ga., holds a one-stroke lead after shooting 67.
Krywulycz's Jaguar teammate, Taylor Floyd , of Macon, Ga., shot 73. Augusta's Patrick Reed , another Jaguar, opened with 74, while Evans' Carter Newman , the fourth member of Augusta State's national championship team competing in the event, shot 75. Jaguar newcomer Derek Chang , who transferred from the University of Minnesota, opened with 80.
- In Newnan, Ga., Augusta's Laura Coble closed with even-par 72 to tie for seventh in the Yamaha Georgia Women's Open at Canongate at Summer Grove Golf Club.
Coble finished at 1-under-par 143, four shots behind winner Emilie Burger , a rising sophomore at the University of Georgia. Burger also closed with 72 to finish at 139.
Mary Helen McElreath , of Augusta, shot 83-83 to tie for 26th.
- USC Aiken's Kevin Grady and Frederik Schulte were named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars.
Grady finished with a team-best stroke average of 73.9 and graduated in May with a degree in business administration and a 3.284 GPA.
Schulte, who is majoring in business administration and marketing, was second on the team with a 74.0 stroke average and compiled a 3.854 GPA.
Falcons linebacker hit with suspension
Atlanta Falcons linebacker Robert James was suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.
The 26-year-old James played in only one game last season and did not record a tackle.
- The agent for Sidney Rice says the receiver has a lingering hip injury but that the former South Carolina Gamecock should be ready when the Minnesota Vikings open the regular season against the New Orleans Saints.
Drew Rosenhaus, Rice's agent, said the receiver will not require surgery.