Hall of Famer Dan Marino joins concussion lawsuit against NFL

  • Follow NFL

Back | Next
 Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Chris Clemons, runs through a drill during an NFL organized team activities football practice in  in Jacksonville, Fla., Monday, June 2, 2014. (AP Photo/John Raoux)  JOHN RAOUX/ASSOCIATED PRESS
JOHN RAOUX/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Chris Clemons, runs through a drill during an NFL organized team activities football practice in in Jacksonville, Fla., Monday, June 2, 2014. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and one of the NFL’s highest-profile alums, has joined the ranks of former players suing the league over concussion-related injuries.

In court filings late last week, Marino, 52, claimed that league officials had long been aware of the long-term effects of repeated hits to the head but chose to ignore those warnings and put players’ health at risk.

But unlike some of the more than 5,000 ex-players who have filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, Marino did not specify any explicit condition with which he has struggled in his post-football career.

Marino and his lawyer, Sol Weiss, one of the attorneys who last year negotiated a proposed $765 million settlement with the league, could not be reached for comment Monday.

In the lawsuit, the former players have alleged that NFL officials hid the dangers or repeated hits to the head while mythologizing the violence of their sport.

SEAHAWKS: Linebacker Bruce Irvin underwent hip surgery, but the team has no timetable on his return.

A team spokesman confirmed Irvin’s surgery Monday but had no details of what the surgery repaired.

Irvin started all 12 games last season after serving a four-game suspension at the start.

Irvin tweeted Monday afternoon that he expects to be back by the start of training camp in July.

GIANTS: Waived suspended safety Will Hill.

He was suspended by the NFL last week for six games in the upcoming season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He missed the opening four games of 2013 while under a similar suspension.

Signed by the Giants as a free agent in 2012, Hill played in 24 games for the team.

JAGUARS: Defensive end Chris Clemons made his Jacksonville debut Monday, joining the team for organized team activities after skipping three sessions last week.

Clemons missed the previous voluntary practices because of family issues.

Clemons says, “We all have issues that we go through that we can’t control. Being one of the leaders of my family, I had to step in and take control of that issue.”

Coach Gus Bradley was initially disappointed about Clem­ons’ absence, only because Clem­ons had not indicated whether he would or wouldn’t be in town for the start of OTAs.

COURTS: Jack Elway, the son of Denver Broncos general manager John Elway, was arrested on assault charges after his girlfriend told police he pulled her out of a car by her hair.

Court documents obtained Monday show the woman told Denver police that 24-year-old John Albert Elway also pushed her to the ground when she tried to get back in the car, causing scrapes.

Elway was released from jail on $550 bond and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday. He faces charges of assault and disturbing the peace.

ALABAMA: The school’s board of trustees are set to vote on Nick Saban’s new contract.

The trustees’ compensation committee has set a conference call for this afternoon and is expected to approve new deals for
Saban and most of his staff. Trustees are also expected to approve and release terms of the
contract for new offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin.

Alabama announced a “long-term agreement” with Saban on Dec. 14, 2013 but hasn’t released details.

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
myfather15
55844
Points
myfather15 06/03/14 - 03:37 pm
0
0
Dan, have you not made enough

Dan, have you not made enough money from Nutri-system? Kinda pathetic that you've got to throw you're name into this money grabbing scheme!!

It doesn't take a genius to know that taking mulitiple hards hits to the head, COULD cause long term affects!! Look at Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and many of the boxer's of that area. Maybe their families should sue because the boxing commission didn't tell them it might be dangerous!!

When will peope take PERSONAL responsibility for their OWN decisions?? I don't believe anyone force you to put the uniform on and play ball; but I DO BELIEVE you got paid hansomely for doing so!!

SO SHUT UP!!

jimmymac
45719
Points
jimmymac 06/03/14 - 04:07 pm
0
0
UPDATE
Unpublished

It seems Mr. Marino has withdrawn his name from the lawsuit. He wants a job in the Dolphins front office and it would be unseemly for a prospective employee to sue his boss.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...
Search Augusta jobs