The team announced Friday that it had agreed to a five-year contract with Brees. A person familiar with the deal said it’s for $100 million, with $60 million guaranteed.
The deal will also pay the quarterback $40 million the first year, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because financial details had not been publicly announced.
Brees posted a note on his Twitter page reading, “Deal is Done! Love you, Who Dat Nation. See you soon!”
He had been tagged as the Saints’ exclusive franchise player and could not negotiate with other teams.
Had a deal not been reached, the tender for a quarterback was worth $16.3 million. Brees would have had to play for that amount or hold out for a better one-year deal, which would have left his long-term future in New Orleans uncertain.
VIKINGS: Prosecutors have agreed to reset Adrian Peterson’s court date to Aug. 6 on a misdemeanor charge stemming from an incident at a Houston nightclub.
The Minnesota running back was charged with resisting arrest and briefly jailed after a confrontation with an off-duty police officer at the club last Saturday.
Police say Peterson pushed the officer after he asked Peterson and his acquaintances to leave the club, which was closed.
Peterson and attorney Rusty Hardin arrived early for his initial court hearing on Friday, then left before Judge Natalie Fleming even arrived. Hardin says he wants prosecutors to gather more information.
Peterson said outside the courtroom that he is “200 percent innocent” and that he didn’t “push, shove, touch anyone that night, especially an officer.
BEARS: Matt Forte’s approach toward contract negotiations continues to take a turn for the better.
The Pro Bowl running back, previously vocal with his frustration, once again expressed optimism that he and the Bears would come to an agreement on a long-term contract prior to Monday’s looming deadline. If such a deal is not reached, Forte would be subjected to the franchise tag this season.
The one-year franchise tender is worth $7.74 million. And Forte could hold out until Week 10 before signing the tender but would lose a substantial amount of the $7.74 million in the process.
SEAHAWKS: Mike Williams’ career that was reignited with Seattle in 2010 came to an end Friday when he was suddenly cut by the Seahawks two weeks before the start of training camp.
Williams was a candidate for comeback player of the year in 2010 after seeing his career rejuvenated by getting a second chance with Pete Carroll and the Seahawks following flops in Detroit and Oakland.
But Williams could never develop a connection with new quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in 2011 and his season was cut short by a broken left ankle.