NFL wins cap fight with Cowboys, Redskins

  • Follow NFL

An arbitrator upheld the salary cap reductions the NFL placed on the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for this and next season.

Stephen Burbank ruled Tuesday in favor of the league and dismissed the grievances filed by both teams. The Redskins lost $36 million over two years, and the Cowboys $10 million for overloading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season despite league warnings against such maneuvering.

The Cowboys and Red­skins, who filed their grievances against the league and players association, said in a joint statement they would “abide by the arbitrator’s decision to dismiss.”

VIKINGS: Have six of their 10 draft picks under contract, including former Georgia kicker Blair Walsh.

Walsh was picked in the sixth round, making him the highest-drafted Georgia kicker since John Kasay was a fourth-round pick in 1991.

BROWNS: Quarterback Colt McCoy plans to fight for his starting job.

Although rookie Brandon Weeden, who was drafted by Cleveland in the first round, is expected to start this season, McCoy said the Browns have told him he will have a chance to compete and “if it’s a fair competition, that’s all you can ask for.”

RAIDERS: Linebacker Rolando McClain has apologized for bringing bad publicity to the team following his recent conviction.

McClain was convicted last week by a judge in Decatur, Ala., for threatening to kill a man and firing a gun next to his head in a fight last November. He was charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm in the city limits.

He was sentenced last week to 180 days in jail and fined $2,000.

COLTS: Signed fifth-round draft pick Josh Chapman, giving them six draft choices under contract.


Loading...