James bolts Cleveland for Miami

James leaves Cavs to join Wade, Bosh

See ya, Cleveland.

Former Cavaliers superstar LeBron James made his decision to play for the Heat known Thursday night during a one-hour special shown on ESPN.   Associated Press
Associated Press

Sorry, Chicago, New York and New Jersey. Maybe next time around, Clippers.

LeBron James chose superstar help over the comforts of home and is heading for Miami because he wants to win a championship with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Ending weeks of will-he-or-won't-he speculation, the two-time MVP said Thursday night that he's decided to join the Heat and leave the Cavaliers after an unsuccessful seven-year quest for the ring he covets.

"I can't say it was always in my plans, because I never thought it was possible," James said on a made-for-Lebron live show on ESPN. "But the things that the Miami Heat franchise have done, to free up cap space and be able to put themselves in a position this summer to have all three of us, it was hard to turn down. Those are two great players, two of the greatest players that we have in this game today."

Olympic teammates in Beijing, James, Bosh and Wade all helped deliver gold medals. This time, it'll be about a gold trophy, the NBA championship one -- the one Wade got in 2006, the one that James and Bosh have yet to touch.

For Cleveland, a city scorned for generations by some of sports' biggest letdowns, James' long-awaited words represented a defeat perhaps unlike any other.

James said he made the decision Thursday morning and knows it won't go over well in Ohio.

"They can have mixed emotions, of course," James said, adding that Akron will "always be home for me."

His new home wasted no time in beginning the celebration. Horns honked outside the arena and on Miami Beach, where Wade was watching the announcement.

In Cleveland, the immediate reaction was filled with outrage. Television images showed at least one fan burning James' No. 23 wine-and-gold jersey.

"I can't get involved in that," he said. "I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James ... At the end of the day, I feel awful. I feel even worse that I wasn't able to bring an NBA championship to that city. To my real fans out there, I hope that you'll continue to support me all the way to Miami."

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/08/10 - 10:55 pm
This was predicted this

This was predicted this morning on Good Morning America! I hope the trio can make basketball history!

bentman
bentman 07/08/10 - 11:45 pm
Makes sense to me. There was

Makes sense to me. There was no way he was going to go to the Knicks, even with the rumored billion dollar opportunity. With a 12.5% combined local and state income tax on top of the already confiscatory federal tax, who would want to go to NYC?

charliemanson
charliemanson 07/09/10 - 04:50 am
Interesting how someone with

Interesting how someone with barely a high school education can capture America's attention.

RushLimbuttbubba
RushLimbuttbubba 07/09/10 - 06:41 am
It got yours charlie

It got yours charlie

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 07/09/10 - 08:03 am
I wonder if the President

I wonder if the President will get involved and put a cap on his salary so ticket prices will be lowered and the poor people of Miami will be able to attend games? Maybe redistribute some of that salary among players with not as much talent or work ethic?

double_standard
double_standard 07/09/10 - 08:30 am
Madsnapper you only wished

Madsnapper you only wished that would happen. His education you peopeople kill me. Baseball players get drafted straight out of high school. The no. 1 pick in this year's draft didn't even finish high school. Its sports but its a business first.

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 07/09/10 - 08:57 am
Hey, and if the Heat is not

Hey, and if the Heat is not successful, maybe the President will fire him and take over the team. By his own words, if you are making that much money, you should be accountable. (My apologies to those who don't understand sarcasm)

dani
dani 07/09/10 - 04:42 pm
Much ado over nothing.

Much ado over nothing.

onemorething
onemorething 07/09/10 - 02:32 pm
I don't understand why people

I don't understand why people are so upset. LeBron did what was best for him. The owner shouldn't be upset with him, LeBron spent 7 years with Cleveland and tried his best to take them all the way. He is not the only player on the team nor should the full responsibility of the teams failure to win a ring be placed on him. He is a talented young man and deserves the right to be on whatever team he chooses.

Now all Miami needs to do is add Garrett Siler to their roster.

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Similar to cars, driving a golf cart has legal requirements. Texting and driving is illegal. So is driving while impaired. Also, all drivers must have a valid driver's license and golf carts are ...