CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Since the system isn’t broken, NASCAR officials have no plans to change it – at least nothing radical.
The sport enjoyed one of its most exciting seasons ever last year, culminating with Tony Stewart winning his third Sprint Cup championship in the last race of the season. NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said the sport is “in a very good place” as it moves toward another season beginning next month with the Daytona 500.
But France also believes it can be even better.
So while NASCAR will pretty much leave well enough alone, they will make a few minor tweaks including taking some measures to address reducing two-car tandem racing at Daytona and Talladega.
“We have had a breathtaking number of close finishes at those tracks, but the fans want a mixture of styles including a return to a more traditional ‘pack racing’ and that close side-by-side competition that’s unique to Talladega and Daytona,” France said Thursday at NASCAR’s annual preseason news conference.
NASCAR and the teams are working hard on this and based on the test earlier this month, we’re encouraged that we’re making progress, “he said.
France said the two-car tandem racing “evolved into something that no one saw coming, and now we’re going to deal with that.”
NASCAR’s vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said some changes will be made to the cars including adding a slightly larger restrictor plate, a smaller spoiler and softer springs.
Those changes will be made beginning at Daytona in February.
France said NASCAR is “very encouraged” by increased television ratings across its three national series - the Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck series.
He also pointed to attendance gains at a number of venues.