RiverHawks rally to top IceGators
In Lafayette, La., the front-running Augusta RiverHawks rallied for a 5-2 victory over the Louisiana IceGators Friday in a SPHL game at the Cajundome.
Augusta, down 2-1 after two periods, scored four unanswered third-period goals to improve to 7-1-1.
Travis Dunstall had two goals for Augusta. The others were scored by Drew Baker, Ed Snetsinger and Dustin Cloutier.
Augusta goalie David Wilson had 30 saves.
• In Newark, N.J., Jason Chimera scored a short-handed goal 2:27 into the third period, leading the Washington Capitals to a 3-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
• In New York, Dan Girardi and Brandon Dubinsky scored 9 seconds apart midway through the third period and the New York Rangers went on to rout the Carolina Hurricanes 5-1.
• In Pittsburgh, James Neal scored twice against the team that traded him nine months ago and led the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 3-1 win over the Dallas Stars.
• In Buffalo, N.Y., Jhonas Enroth made 36 saves, and Derek Roy had a goal and two assists for the Buffalo Sabres in their 5-1 win over the Ottawa Senators.
• In Detroit, Jimmy Howard made 24 saves, and Drew Miller, Niklas Kronwall and Valtteri Filppula scored in the Detroit Red Wings’ 3-0 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
Lady Jags make it to semifinals
Augusta State edged USC Aiken 3-2 on Friday in the quarterfinals of the Peach Belt Conference Tournament at Christenberry Fieldhouse.
The fourth-seeded Lady Jaguars beat the fifth-seeded Lady Pacers 18-25, 25-23, 23-25, 25-21 and 16-14.
Alex Rohlfing had 23 kills and Krystin Wahlig 48 assists for the Lady Jaguars (16-18).
USC Aiken (15-16) was led by Emily Maassen and Endea Ellison with 13 kills each.
Augusta State will take on top-seeded Armstrong Atlantic State, which swept Lander 3-0, at 6 tonight.
In the other matches, UNC Pembroke blanked Francis Marion 3-0 and Flagler beat Montevallo 3-0. Flager and UNC Pembroke will play at 4 today.
GA/Lina Preview set for busy day
Most of the area’s boys and girls high school basketball teams will play in the GA/Lina Hoops Preview today.
The one-day event will be held at four sites – Evans, Greenbrier, Evans Middle and Greenbrier Middle.
Faulkner’s team comes in second
In St. Simons Island, Ga., Doug Faulkner and Dave Barwick tied for low round of the day in the first flight and finished second in the 54-hole Georgia Senior Four-Ball Championship.
Faulkner, of Martinez, and Barwick, a former Augustan, closed with 69 at King & Prince Golf Course. They opened with 70-76.
Faulkner-Barwick finished one shot behind Donald Dale and Ernie Venet, both of Moultrie, who shot 2-under-par 214 (74-67-73).
George Bullard, of Martinez, and Richard Felder, of Evans, shot 72-71-68 to tie for 21st place in the championship flight.
Thomson pitcher to play for Saints
Thomson High pitcher Brooke Herkel signed a national letter-of-intent Friday to play for the North Georgia Saints in Dahlonega.
She hit 27 home runs during her four years at Thomson.