RiverHawks lose third in a row

Knoxville takes 5-3 victory

acvid:2405

Neil Graham and Matt Auffrey combined for three goals and three assists, but the Augusta RiverHawks failed to pick up their first win in three tries with a 5-3 loss to Knoxville Saturday night.

In front of a reported crowd of 1,622 fans, Augusta once again fell behind early when Knoxville's Mike Bulawka scored six minutes in for a 1-0 lead through the first period.

Auffrey's first goal as a RiverHawk came midway through the second period on a pass from Chris Ferazzoli to tie the game, but Knoxville reclaimed the lead late in the second period and added three third-period scores against goalie Jordan McLaughlin, who allowed five goals on 32 shots.

Graham scored twice in the third period, but the offensive effort was only enough to keep pace with the Ice Bears.

Knoxville's Andrew Gallant stopped 27 of 30 shots to give the Ice Bears their second win in a row.

jferrell24
jferrell24 10/24/10 - 06:19 am
It is important to remember

It is important to remember that three games do not make a season. This is a young team, comprised of unprotected players from this and other leagues, rookies from junior hockey, and some college players. They show moments of composure and the next minute making inexperienced mistakes. It's a long season and much can happen. I'm more worried about fan support than the players. I am just glad to see any type hockey return to Augusta. Take a chance. Go out and see a few games. Take a kid. Take a friend. The cost is minimal and well worth the price of admission.

dpm626
dpm626 10/24/10 - 08:01 am
I agree! The Riverhawks are

I agree! The Riverhawks are playing tough and keep themself in the game. They are playing some strong hockey. Each game they are getting to know each other and are looking better.

Keep improving guys, the wins will come!!

smithers1
smithers1 10/24/10 - 08:25 am
The first 2 comments are

The first 2 comments are EXACTLY correct. They are an expansion team, they consist of players that haven't played together yet, give 'em time folks. Don't give up on 'em yet, it's a long season, they'll get it together....

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!

falconfan35
falconfan35 10/24/10 - 09:50 am
look thats all well and good

look thats all well and good but if you want loyal fan like myself to come back you have to start winning this last time i supported the team i bought a package of 20 game and only got to see one with no refound and no one told us at the time we brought they were folding until the day after we brought ticket

falconfan35
falconfan35 10/24/10 - 09:53 am
and so you know all the other

and so you know all the other yrs i brought every home game ticket but on game day should have kept that motto and so far every game even the exhibition each team is averaging 5 goals a game us 2.8

Frank I
Frank I 10/24/10 - 01:52 pm
I went to my first hockey

I went to my first hockey game last night.. Even though we lost, it was a great game. I'll have to go again sometime, and it's not like it's all that expensive. Here's to hoping the attendance and the wins start picking up..

bordercollie75
bordercollie75 10/24/10 - 02:41 pm
Falconfan, I hear what you

Falconfan, I hear what you are saying, but think about this: our Hawks have been playing together for 13 days! The three teams that we just played are playoff caliber teams, one of which is the defending league champion; yet, despite that, the Hawks played until the last second in each game. None of the games was a blowout; blowouts are a true indicator of an expansion team. If we want this team to stick around, we have to support it, through good times and bad. Bob and Diane, the owners, are a class act and are NOTHING even close to the previous team's owners. They are in it to win while at the same time providing our city with a resource that adds to our quality of life and a resource that we can be proud of. I predict that the wins will start coming soon, so I hope that everyone will hang with our Hawks. I'll be there at every game.

SlapShot2
SlapShot2 10/24/10 - 04:14 pm
Looks like Bob and Diane

Looks like Bob and Diane better figure out some ways to get some people in that building. I went Friday but I could not on Saturdays game. This a business for them not a charity. If we want to keep hockey people need to show up. Forget about wins, like I said before, they dont matter if the fans have a good time and enjoy their time there. This club will surive or die by the casual fan not the diehard fan.

pommom38
pommom38 10/24/10 - 05:58 pm
It's all nice and good to

It's all nice and good to keep saying cost isn't very much, minimal, etc.
With the economy as it is right now, some must choose between a game or necessity.
For 2 tickets for us, cost is $50. For many, that is half a food budget, medicine, etc. I still say, it has been a fair weekend. People will choose that atmosphere and fun over a hockey game that isn't *fun* for the fans.
Maybe attendance will pick up after all the fairs are gone.

Dionysus
Dionysus 10/24/10 - 06:05 pm
Aside from the fairs, Friday

Aside from the fairs, Friday night also competed with pre-playoffs HS football. On Saturday night both the Dawgs and Gamecocks had late (7pm'ish) start times. I too hope it picks up.

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/25/10 - 07:47 am
Wow. 2500 fans on opening

Wow. 2500 fans on opening night, 1600 on night 2. The front office was hoping for "back to back sellout crowds" for the first two home games, which would mean just over 12,000 people. Might get that total after about 6-8 games, but it's a pipe dream they're living in to expect that many here...and more foolish spending to do a promo for "the first 5,000 fans" for the opener like they did. Also don't know what dream the people saying tickets aren't expensive are living in. I'm with pommom on that one.

Cheapest ticket is $11 + $5.50 in fees + $3.25 to print your ticket AT HOME(!!) + $5 for parking. You're looking at $25 just to go see a game by yourself, and that seat is in the nosebleeds at JBA! You want anything near the glass and you're looking at over $31 with all the fees and parking! The last Greenjackets game I went to cost me around $7 for a good reserved seat about 6 rows behind home plate (with FREE parking and FREE print at home ticketing) and was rained out after about 2.5 innings, yet was more fun and entertaining than the Riverhawks exhibition game I attended (with only about 600 other people). This Randy Bobby character or whatever his name is that they had come out between periods was a joke. The most entertaining thing about him is when he about fell off the golf cart when "Jessica Bobby" turned around at the end of the ice. Hopefully the "real" games this weekend were planned a little better for in-game and between-period entertainment.

Augusta is NOT a hockey town because the south is NOT traditionally a hockey region. You can't charge premium prices for something that people don't see as a worthy premium event in this area. The team will blame the JBA for all the fees and such (which is mostly true), but YOU have control over the ticket price itself. Make it $10 flat for the ticket, fees AND parking (The NBHA can charge reasonable prices AND give free parking, why not you, Riverhawks?), $15 for all fees and parking for seats on the glass...and then we'll talk. Get rid of the Randy Bobby or whatever his name is character. Get a mascot character if there's not one already. But until you bring down the cost-per-game to attend you'll only see lower attendance.

Do nothing about prices and you'll be gone after your second year.

Renissa1
Renissa1 10/25/10 - 09:37 am
Wow, someone truly likes the

Wow, someone truly likes the convienences of modern technology. Save the money and park at a different location that does not charge, and walk up to the window and purchase a ticket then you won't have to pay all the internet fees. You can even purchase the ticket(s) the day before.

Lot's of people lost money on the previous team, but when you look at this organization the only two people left over is Scott Skadan and Matt Auffery. From the ground up it is a different organization with different people running the show. People who have had to go through extensive background checks by the JBA, and several sponsers.

If you need the money to pay for your other expenses then by all means I understand but if you get some extra time and money then please come out and support the hockey team. The games were fun and it was good to feel the familar chill back in the JBA.

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 10/25/10 - 10:16 pm
It was my understanding that

It was my understanding that this team was part of a "lower level" hockey organization, and thus would cost less money to manage, and I thought that would translate to lower ticket prices.

However, the ticket prices are higher than ever. We gave up....we used to buy season tickets, but the rowdy crowd dumping beer on everyone kind of ruined it for families. Then the last year the Lynx were here, many of our friends LOST every penny they invested in season tickets. Did anyone ever make that right for those people? I don't think so.

Until this team embraces and gives back to Augusta, I won't be wasting my time on games. The prices are outrageous (fine if you have one child, but over the top for those of us with 5 children), and the concession stands are also overpriced for stale food.
The restrooms did finally have upgrades made, but there is still sewage sitting on the floor in most stalls....nothing you want to expose your small children to.
All in all, the "details" take away from the fun of the game. People getting drunk and screaming obscenities is not my idea of a family fun event.
Thanks, but we'll spend our $100+ for the evening doing something far more entertaining and wholesome for our family.
Either clean up your act, and you'll never attract the once loyal fans you used to have. Is this a family event, or a drinking, singles event? If you want both, then someone needs to be observant of the rules of drinking, cursing in public, and respect for women and children, and the value of family.
Thank you.