Torres was suspended 25 games by the league Saturday and will miss the rest of the playoffs for a late hit that resulted in Chicago’s Marian Hossa being taken off the ice on a stretcher.
After one of the least-penalized regular seasons in the NHL’s modern era, Torres is the ninth player to be suspended during what’s been an out-for-blood playoffs so far.
“I think it’s a precedent,” Chicago center Brendan Morrison said Saturday, a few hours before Phoenix tried to clinch its first-round series over the Blackhawks. “We’ve been talking about it for so long over the course of the last couple of years and there has been more suspensions, but the message isn’t getting through to guys. I don’t know how it can’t get through after this.”
Torres’ suspension is the longest for an on-ice offense since New York Islanders forward Chris Simon was banned 30 games in December 2007.
It also matches the second-longest suspension: Simon also was suspended 25 games for his two-handed stick attack to the face of New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg in 2007 and so was Philadelphia’s Jesse Boulerice for cross-checking Vancouver center Ryan Kesler across the face in 2007.
“The ruling is very severe for Raffi and our hockey club,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said in a statement. “Raffi plays a hard, physical game yet this contact crossed the line on what is acceptable in our game today. We hope Marian Hossa makes a full and speedy recovery as we all enjoy watching him perform.”
If the 25 games of his suspension aren’t exhausted during the playoffs – the Coyotes would need to play four straight seven-game series to complete the suspension – the ban carries over into the next regular season. Torres would not be able to play in any preseason games in that case.
Torres had a goal and an assist and averaged more than 19 minutes of ice time in the series’ first three games.