High School Sports

More News | The BlitzContact Editor

Greenbrier baseball fires baseball coach Chris Wilkins after run to state finals

Wilkins out after run to state finals

Greenbrier on Monday fired baseball coach Chris Wilkins, who guided the team to consecutive state championship series appearances.

Greenbrier baseball booster club president Clinton Hardy said he received a call about the news and was surprised.

“(Wilkins) called me at two o’clock and said ‘Guess what? I’ve been fired,’ ” Hardy said. “At first, I was in denial and kept asking him, ‘What’s the punchline?’ ”

Hardy, whose son, Clint, was a senior on this year’s team, said he knew of some parents who called Greenbrier High School Principal Chris Segraves or the school board to complain about Wilkins, but didn’t provide any details as to the nature of the complaints.

Segraves said in a text message Monday night that the decision was a “personnel matter.”

Phone calls and text messages to Greenbrier athletic director Garrett Black were not returned Monday night. When reached through text, Wilkins replied that questions should be brought to Segraves.

This season, the Wolfpack reached the state championship series for the second year in a row by going on a run as a No. 4 seed.

“I’ve known him for four years and I’ve watched him mature and become a players’ coach,” said Hardy, who hopes Wilkins will still come to the end of the year baseball boosters’ banquet June 11.

showboat
showboat 06/03/13 - 08:47 pm
I guess he didn't play one

I guess he didn't play one of the booster club kid!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/03/13 - 08:58 pm
An unusual firing. A good

An unusual firing. A good high school coach being fired is odd. Coaching baseball in Columbia County high schools is the toughest job in the CSRA. Parents, parents, parents.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/03/13 - 09:07 pm
If anyone thinks the details of this will not be laid out...

...I would say they are a few innings short of a full game.

My astute colleague Ashley Brown calls this one of the most bizarre coaching moves in local history. Coach Wilkins seems willing to tell the story, and he should. Every bit of written material in his personnel file is reviewable.

The parents who wanted this need to stand up and own it...if they do not state their own case, others will, but they will not succeed in "assassination under cover."

I think a good man has been thrown under a bus, and I gotta say, if a few griping parents can create this kind of heartache for a proven winner, no CCBOE employee is safe...EVER.

beep beep
beep beep 06/03/13 - 09:29 pm
This a position that no one

This a position that no one should want. It's a no win situation. I wonder if Segraves right hand man will be the new coach......Chris Bishop???? If so then there is more to this Firing.

wildman
wildman 06/03/13 - 09:39 pm
BS

I have watched GHS sports since 1996, baseball has been the one bright spot over the years. This is one of the most unusual and disappointing moves in my 50 plus years of either playing or watching sports. Success normally means longevity, or at least it would normally be the Coaches decision. If Austin's comments are true I feel bad for Coach Wilkins but I feel sorry for the parents and very disappointed in the leadership of Columbia County Schools and the GHS administration. Coach Wilkins will win in the long run, I promise you he will be coaching somewhere soon. Good luck Coach Wilkins.

seagull
seagull 06/03/13 - 10:54 pm
Coach Wilkins firing

As a parent of a former Greenbrier student the only thing I can say is that the parents of the atheletes at Greenbrier haven't changed in all these years. This is an absolute shame. It would be understandable if the coach had broken some rules or something, but I'm pretty sure it all had to do with "winnning".

showboat
showboat 06/03/13 - 10:59 pm
The parent at GHS think that

The parent at GHS think that they run the school, i really feel bad for Chris. sergrave was never a winner when he a coach, now he will do anything to keep his job, don't want to shake the tree at GHS.

ARC fan
ARC fan 06/03/13 - 11:00 pm
Sounds awfully similar to his

Sounds awfully similar to his time at Richmond Academy. "Crazy parents" there were blamed for all his problems. Seems as though there must be "crazy parents" in Columbia County as well - interesting!

whyme
whyme 06/03/13 - 11:07 pm
interesting

They fire this particular coach but the coach with the soccer team involved in the recent substance abuse scandal is still on staff? Hm.

justputtin
justputtin 06/03/13 - 11:23 pm
Ridiculous

If it was about breaking rules then there are other coaches at GHS that have survived in spite of flagrant rules violations. If it was just about winning then the football coach would be long gone. The powers at be have been caving to parents instead of doing the right thing, in numerous cases. Parents will always be parents. The Principal should not cave to anyone but his own conscience. If there are not violations and this is about this coach's record then this is a horrible injustice. Shameful. I hope the truth comes out soon so the speculation (including mine) can stop. There is a "black cloud" over GHS athletics unfortunately and there is no end in sight.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/04/13 - 12:08 am
In this case, I believe

In this case, I believe Austin and AB are right on track. I hope they stay on this and inform us on the developments. I was thinking that maybe David Perno could be the next coach at Greenbrier. But then again he probably wouldn't take the job. He would soon realize that the stress of being a D-1 college coach is a walk in the park compared to the Gestapo Columbia County parents.

KSL
KSL 06/04/13 - 12:35 am
Seagull,

Winning, as in not giving my child playing time, even though he is not first string material?

KSL
KSL 06/04/13 - 12:36 am
Never mind if we win or lose.

Never mind if we win or lose.

Cadence
Cadence 06/04/13 - 04:03 am
I'm not a parent of a student but

is athletics about the kids having fun and learning to play a sport, run and throw and catch, or is it dead serious win at all costs? It used to be something we did for fun (or not so fun as I was clumsy and hideous on the playground). Maybe we should give this much attention to reading, math, and science education?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/04/13 - 04:57 am
Talk about parental

Talk about parental involvement. The problem in Columbia County is the parents are TOO involved in the baseball programs. If their kid isn't good enough to play it's the coach's fault.

All this brings up another point. Didn't we recently hear a former coach will be a teacher at Greenbrier next year? I certainly hope that isn't part of a scheme to get rid of Wilkins.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/04/13 - 06:38 am
Brings a team to near State

Brings a team to near State victory and is fired?

Must be something really serious,
or the CBOE is looking at one heck of a Lawsuit.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/04/13 - 06:55 am
Cadence, I hear what you're

Cadence, I hear what you're saying but that is not the real world. The things you speak of even extend into the college years. Take UGA for example. UGA is a football stadium with a college built around it.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/04/13 - 06:58 am
terrible

Coach Wilkins probably opened practices in prayer or something and some atheist parent threatened to sic the Freedom From Religion Foundation attorneys on the entire school system. That's my guess. I hope Coach Wilkins at least keeps his job at the school.

wise ole man
wise ole man 06/04/13 - 06:59 am
Was he fired from teaching or

Was he fired from teaching or just relieved of his coaching duties?

mosovich
mosovich 06/04/13 - 07:03 am
Parents..

Parents are beginning to be a four letter word in youth sports..

justthefacts
19910
justthefacts 06/04/13 - 08:10 am
Maybe GAD was kidding..

UGA is tied for 18th in U.S. News & World Report’s 2011 list of the 50 top public universities in America.
Kiplinger's magazine ranks UGA 9th on its list of best values among 100 public colleges and universities in America.
The Wall Street Journal included UGA among 16 “Hot Schools".
UGA's graduate program in landscape architecture is ranked 1st in the country and the undergraduate program is 2nd in rankings.
And so on and so forth.

justputtin
justputtin 06/04/13 - 08:21 am
Parents are the problem?

Parents getting over involved and causing all these problems? Hardly. School admin with a strong backbone is all that is needed to deal with over zealous parents. GHS began as a respected school with great athletics programs. What is the difference between then and now other than some key personnel? I would love to hear others opinions that know what they're talking about. And.....great points by justthefacts above!

ANTITHEFTWINGER
ANTITHEFTWINGER 06/04/13 - 08:57 am
FormerWolfpackParent

Some of these comments bewilder me. We only lived there for a short while but it was obvious the baseball program was corrupt. Guys, you can't have a "select/travel" team made up primarily of players from schools that feed into your H.S. programs and NOT expect it to come under some level of scrutiny. At some point, you seriously have to ask what parents are really ruining it for everyone else? The answer is it's those parents that put together a select few kids at very young age 7 maybe 8 years old and then not let others in on the deal. I am pretty sure that nearly ALL high school athletic associations forbid a select team like this from being an extension of the H.S. programs. You AND everyone else involved in Columbia County baseball organizations know who you are! Play by the rules and STOP ruining it for all the other kids and parents who YOU do not allow into the circle! Looks like notice has been served? Future coaches, if you allow these outside forces (why did Wilkins call the Boosters president in the first place?) to run and dictate your programs....you'll just get fired too. Select/Travel teams should be just that, best players from the area and not specific to one Middle School or High School....it's suspicious and will bring your program down eventually! Your H.S. and M.S. team should be comprised from those who are the better STUDENT/Athletes NOT because the kid lives in a certain "gated" community. Otherwise, it WILL come full circle eventually, right?

resident
resident 06/04/13 - 09:02 am
@FormerWolpackPArent

I am gree completely. I have kept my son that wanted to play baseball out of the CC Rec program on purpose because I let him play for a few teams and we watched a few games and saw how out of control parents were. They were yelling at the coach even. Some of them yelled at their children for mistakes instead of showing and mentoring. I do not want to subject my child to this kind of stuff. Football is just as bad. Many of these same parents have money or not and can well afford spending it on the best training, equipment and whatever else they can buy.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/04/13 - 09:20 am
I watched this for many years

I watched this for many years as my kid came up through the middle and high school program. The parents of the kids who are cut or don't get to play much will raise cain continuously. High school baseball is competitive and played to win. If the parents are influential at the school, as I suspect some of these Greenbrier ones are, it can become an impossible situation.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/13 - 09:26 am
Resident

I had two sons come up through ColCo schools, one involved in sports, the other not. You speak the truth about parents.

It also extends to the classroom. My DIL is a teacher in ColCo and has become so disillusioned in three years that she wants to teach private school. Spineless, PC administration and too many parents with "perfect" children (so they think).

AwkwardTimes
AwkwardTimes 06/04/13 - 09:54 am
If you haven't already, take

If you haven't already, take some time and read all the trash on social media. Parents supporting or bad mouthing the coach. I've even seen Greenbrier players calling the principal an idiot. I think one post above touched on the issue with the summer ball thing, even though it just scratches the surface. The real problem is the coaches and players are lost as to what made the Greenbrier 'program' what it WAS. These parents and players that think they have an opinion are hysterical. Terry Holder won 8 championships in something like 12 years because he kept this absolute nonsense in check. Anyone that saw the state title game could see the problem if they really looked. Players getting ejected, throwing equipment, cussing at fans in the outfield, I could go on and on. I kept reading reports that the player was ejected too quickly, really? How much time should a player get to jaw at an umpire before it's excessive? I can tell you how much time they should get, zero. Parents, watch your kids throw bats, helmets and jog down the baseline. Then have the nerve to blame coaches. Boosters fault? Parents fault? Coaches fault? Does it matter? So, what does matter? How the kids play the game and lessons learned in the process. I saw a bunch of spoiled rotten brats on the field at Pope High School that quit the second game. They played when they wanted to play, hence the 4 seed in the region. There is plenty of blame to go around from what I saw. God bless Mr. Ed and his family...my opinion, he saw the best of what Greenbrier had to offer, at least on the baseball field. Can't think of many Senior classes that left the legacy of a region 4 seed, two home loses, two road loses, and concluded with a run rule beatdown. Harsh, probably. If you can't take the criticism, prepare to slip into mediocrity or better known as Lakeside.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/13 - 09:33 am
@ Cadence

I see your point about fun, and that is what it should be to an extent. However, when you start reaching high school it becomes more about hard work, discipline, teamwork, and reaping the rewards of those efforts. I guarantee you that winning is a lot of fun too; plus, those same traits are required to succeed in business and life.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 06/04/13 - 09:53 am
Select teams are out of

Select teams are out of control around here, take it from a coach with over 30 years of public school experience. The behavior at the Championship game did not get play in the media and it should have. NO coach should allow that and we all know it was not the first time it happened.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 06/04/13 - 09:54 am
@Awkward Times

I did not go to the game, but you are so right - Mr. Ed has supported that team, like no one else. His heart and soul is more in that team, than any parent there. I'm sure he was just shaking his head in disbelief. I'm sure he is probably crushed.It WILL all come out in the wash, and the chips will fall.

3 top picks to replace Russell named

Janice Allen Jackson, Stephen Layson and Oscar Rodriguez are Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver's top picks to replace Fred Russell as city administrator.