Aquinas' Brendan Douglas signs with Georgia

Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013 12:33 PM
Last updated 7:52 PM

It all happened so quickly, Brendan Douglas needed some help.

Back | Next
Surrounded by family, Aquinas High School senior Brendan Douglas signs his commitment to play football for the University of Georgia.  EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF

Committing to Georgia just days before National Signing Day on Wednesday, Douglas wanted to wear something fit for the occasion. Luckily for him, a friend had the perfect red tie — with dogs on it, of course.

So the Aquinas football player was all prepared to make his college decision official, ready to sign with the Bulldogs.

“It’s definitely a dream that I had,” Douglas said. “To play at an SEC school, it’s a pretty big honor. But this is just the start. I’m just starting right now. I’m going to try to work hard and see what I can do and stay humble. All this attention, it’s cool and stuff, but when it comes down to it, it’s who works the hardest, and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

The Irish senior, who rushed for more than 1,400 yards and starred everywhere he was placed on the football field, said Georgia coach Mark Richt told him he will be a tailback. But Douglas added there’s a possibility he could play some special teams.

Originally, Douglas was committed to Georgia Tech, but after Georgia made a late offer, Douglas decided to change. He said it was probably the toughest decision he’s ever made.

“In the end, it’s where you’re going to be most happy at,” Douglas said. “I just made the decision I would be more happy there.”

Aquinas coach Matt LeZotte was proud the way Douglas handled the tough situation. He said Douglas’ ability to decide and stand by his choice shows his growth into a man.

As for on the football field, LeZotte expects only positives for a player who helped turn around the Irish football program; as a junior, Douglas helped Aquinas win its first ever state playoff game. The Irish ultimately advanced to the state quarterfinals.

This season, Aquinas went 8-3 and advanced to the state playoffs again.

“After our last game, he walked out and said, ‘Coach LeZotte, thanks for everything.’ I started laughing. I was like, ‘No, thank you for everything,’ ” LeZotte said. “I was fortunate enough, my first four years as head coach, I had him in the backfield and him to hold the team together.

“He’s truly one of a kind. I’ve never played with anybody that’s like that. And I’m not sure if I’ll ever coach a guy that’s like that again.”

shadnrw
shadnrw 02/06/13 - 03:10 pm
Great

Great

swimmer3
swimmer3 02/06/13 - 04:00 pm
Great to hear

Congrats to Brendan. He's such a hard worker & positive attitude will really go places for him!

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 02/06/13 - 05:58 pm
As a Tech fan I was

As a Tech fan I was disappointed to hear the news that Brendan switched to the Mutts but at the end of the day that is where he wanted to go so I am happy for him. On a side note I found it funny he was a 2 star recruit when he was commited to Tech and now that he is going to UGA he is a 3 star recruit. Just goes to show those ranking systems are inaccurate at best.

my.voice
my.voice 02/06/13 - 06:23 pm
This is awesome news.

This is awesome news. Congrats young man, make the most of it. Glad you didn't sign with GRRRUUUAAA!LOL

mudfunk
mudfunk 02/06/13 - 10:09 pm
Hope he enjoys special teams......

So much for "commitment". He doesn't have the skills to fit Georgia's system. Had a chance in Tech's. Afraid he'll regret this in the end.

Jake
Jake 02/07/13 - 12:02 am
Don't sell him short

Brendan is not only a good student but also a good athlete. Georgia has a penchant for making the most of what they have and I see him performing well in the mould of a Terry Hogue or Scott Warner. Best of luck to you Brendan, you have trained and prepared yourself for this moment.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 02/07/13 - 12:22 am
Tough to be a running back at

Tough to be a running back at UGA with their depth chart in that position. The ACC is a weaker conference than the SEC but he'd have had more game time at GT.

I see a future on the defensive side of the ball. Looks like a future linebacker if he gets a little bigger.

justthefacts
20255
justthefacts 02/07/13 - 07:33 am
ugahater

"As a Tech fan I was disappointed" ...what's new?

Jake
Jake 02/07/13 - 08:31 pm
@justthefacts

Good one!

augustadog
augustadog 02/08/13 - 08:43 am
Great News! Thanks for being

Great News!
Thanks for being Irish!

Michaelr91494
Michaelr91494 06/06/13 - 09:13 am
He's a great player.

I know he is going to do well from personal experience. I played against him my high school years and he is a great player and an awesome guy.
Glascock County Panther #16