West scored the Wildcats' first 11 points after falling behind 2-0 for the only time in the game.
Laney built a 25 points in the fourth quarter before Manchester mounted a furious run to cut the margin to eight with just over 2 minutes remaining. But the Wildcats held on to celebrate their first championship.
Review tweets from staff writer Wayne Staats, who covered the game for the Chronicle.
- The Laney boys basketball team wins its first state title. Wildcats beat Manchester 67-53.
- Laney 62 Manchester 50. 50.6 to go.
- Laney 58 Manchester 48. 2:08 left in the game.
- Cook calmly hits two FTs. 56-45 with 2:58 to go.
- 14-0 run. Laney now up only 54-45 with 2:58 remaining.
- It's now an 11-0 run for Manchester. Laney leads 54-42.
- Manchester trying a comeback. Laney lead down to 54-39 with 4:02 to play in the game.
- Daniel Harris scored 10 points in the third quarter for Laney.
- Laney is playing its best basketball of the season. Wildcats up 47-27 with one quarter left.
- Wildcats up 37-22 with 3:52 remaining in the third quarter.
- Wildcats taking control. 35-20 Laney leads with 5:17 to play in the third quarter.
- Jammie West has 17 points to lead all players.
- Halftime. Laney leads Manchester 29-19.
- Laney's lead down to 6. 23-17 with 3:54 until halftime.
- Laney has a habit of falling into stretches where it can't buy a basket. The way the quarter ended, it may be happening now.
- First quarter ends. Laney 19 Manchester 9.
- Tough start for Glenn Rodriguez at the line. He's 0-for-6 already. 19-9 Laney.
- Laney boys lead 19-9 with 2:42 to go in the first quarter. West has 13.
- West with another 3. He has 11 points in the game as Laney leads 11-2.
- Jammie West has already made two 3s. 6-2 Laney leads with 6:40 to go in the first quarter.
- Only 15 minutes until the Laney boys basketball team goes for a Class AA state title. The Wildcats play Manchester.