Westside pounds Harlem

Westside 9, Harlem 1

Intimidated no more, Westside finally conquered a nemesis.

Back | Next
Westside's Alexis Sanders dives back to the bag as Abbie Drake applies a tag. A seven-run third inning powered the Patriots.  JACKIE RICCIARDI/STAFF
JACKIE RICCIARDI/STAFF

TEAM PAGE: Harlem Bulldogs

Sprinkling clutch hits and great baserunning with an impressive pitching performance, the Patriots beat Harlem, 9-1, in six innings Tuesday evening at Westside High. With the win, the Patriots took over first place in the subregion.

The victory was also a welcome change after Westside surrendered a combined 20 runs in two losses last year and lost 4-2 earlier this season during its struggles against Harlem.

“(It means) everything – it’s my senior year,” the Patriots’ Toree Gaddy said. “The team started to know we’re really good. They finally know.”

Down 1-0 after Harlem scored a first-inning run on Kristen Mills’ bloop single, Westside exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the third thanks to Harlem errors.

The first seven batters reached, with fielding mistakes on bunts often a problem.

Westside, which also earned five walks, scored two of its runs in the inning by having a runner at first draw a throw on a steal attempt to allow a player on third to race home.

With the Patriots up 2-1, Jordan Tedder drove a ball to the outfield fence to score two.

The senior jumped up and down on the first-base bag with her hands raised over her head.

April Crouch later provided the final runs in the inning when her bunt led to an error as the ball got all the way to the fence in right. Crouch kept on running, soon reaching home as her teammates swarmed her.

Though the Bulldogs tried to rally by putting two on in the fifth, Westside pitcher Andrea Bentley induced a comebacker. Bentley held Harlem, ranked No. 7 in Class AAA, to four hits while striking out four.

Bentley also got help from the defense around her, as Jennifer Reese caught a liner and made a nice stop on a grounder for two outs in the sixth.

Already with a big lead, Westside sealed the win with a Micheala Hatcher RBI on a sacrifice bunt in the fifth and a Gaddy run in the sixth.

Gaddy, who reached four times, crushed a double off the fence and scored when Harlem attempted to throw her out when she tried to steal third but the Bulldogs instead threw the ball past the bag.

“This is a testament win for Westside,” Patriots coach Drew Gaddy said. “I can’t say enough about the seniors. They led us by the horns.”

2 cents worth
2 cents worth 09/21/11 - 08:23 am
Could not be more proud of

Could not be more proud of the Lady Patriots. Blood, sweat and hard work is what it's all about! Hats off to you girls and the excellent coaching staff! You guys are finally demanding the respect you deserve.

swinter05
swinter05 09/21/11 - 08:41 am
I think the WHOLE TEAM did a

I think the WHOLE TEAM did a wonderful job!! Together you make up the team that is Westside Patriots and together you pulled off this sweet victory. It was the best game of the season and I am sooo happy for all of you ladies. You showed Harlem how it's done....without cheating or compromising your integrity. Way to go WESTSIDE!!!

beep beep
beep beep 09/21/11 - 12:04 pm
Ok Ok Congratulations on a

Ok Ok Congratulations on a well deserved win. "without cheating or compromising your integrity" is that saying that Harlem has been doing that......didn't think so. Now I would like to invite all you Westside fans to the region championship in a couple of weeks, so you can watch Harlem win the #1 seed in the state playoffs. Oh and the region championships. Then I want to see a post from the same Westside fans congratulating Harlem

Westside Fan
Westside Fan 09/21/11 - 12:36 pm
Power of the doughnuts!!

Power of the doughnuts!! Great job Ladies & Coaches!!

Coach Waters

j-campbell
j-campbell 09/21/11 - 02:10 pm
It is refreshing to finally

It is refreshing to finally see some coverage of this wonderful Westside softball team. They have played well all year and are deserving of recognition.

swinter05
swinter05 09/21/11 - 05:52 pm
If you were a spectator at

If you were a spectator at the Harlem tournament, no matter who's side you were on, you would have drawn the same conclusion :)
AND...beep beep...that will be the sound of our caravan leaving the regionals as champions:) AND that WAS a lot of PATRIOT pride showing last night...exciting!!

adams2009
adams2009 09/22/11 - 08:31 pm
Amen on that one swinter05!

Amen on that one swinter05! And for the record I am a Patriot fan, but I will say that I have much respect for the one COACH on the Harlem team (Mike) ~ He is a great coach, and from what I've seen of him he always coaches in a POSITIVE manner. As for "Beep Beep" and your comments ~ Well, your more than welcome to join our caravan as we take this #1 spot! See ya at the tournament!

littlecoach
littlecoach 09/22/11 - 09:24 am
beep beep . . is tht the

beep beep . . is tht the sound of the Westside team passing Harlem . . .LOL

OLE Coach
OLE Coach 09/22/11 - 01:24 pm
Ok people i saw the game

Ok people i saw the game tuesday westside out classed Harlem on the field but what i saw and heard at the end of the game by the westside parents and fans showed no Class at all Nah NAH Good bye being sang to Mike Leverrt (Harlems Coach) as he walked to shake hands ! This man has helped more girls play at the next level than any body in our area ! As a matter of fact i think if you look at THe Westside Coach you might find that Mike helped get him get his start coaching !! I may be wrong but feel like Westside will regret their little show they put on during that game Its sad but this sport is about the girls not the parents and the westside girls played like a Class Act ! i just pray they dont growup to act like their parents ! 1st in Sub region means only one thing Harlem will have to Beat Westside to win Region so enjoy that number one spot because if i know Mike he wont quit until he gets that TOP Spot!!!

patparent
patparent 09/22/11 - 08:11 pm
For the record, I was at the

For the record, I was at the game also and I am as proud as I can be of the WHS girls for their performance. While the conduct of the WHS parents after the game was regrettable and unfortunate, I am certain it was not directed at Coach Leverett. I know that many of our parents like and respect Mike both as a coach and a man. More likely it was for the HHS parents, as they can show a level of poor sportsmanship at the drop of a hat. We have seen this behavior many times in travel ball, summer ball and school ball. And as for the comment about the girls growing up to act like their parents, the HHS parents may want to watch the girls a little closer, as some of them put on quite a show during the game. We look forward to a tremendous game the next time these teams match-up and hope both teams parents can enjoy the game and act acordingly for the benefit of the girls. Afterall, that is why we are there, to glorify the girls, their abilities and their accomplishments. GO LADY PATRIOTS!!!

2 cents worth
2 cents worth 09/23/11 - 03:27 am
As the wife of "the Westside

As the wife of "the Westside Coach" ... I can assure you Mike did not help Coach Drew get his "start" at coaching. He's been coaching many, many, many, many years! Long before we were married... It's in his blood and he loves it. Mike did call Drew and ask him to take over coaching a team he needed help with.

As far as the chant the was performed by our parents (I was not one) I apologize on their behalf. I assure you it was not directed at Coach Mike nor the Harlem softball players.

Now I'd like to say.... I think we ALL need to "suck our chests back in" because we all know that in life anything can happen. You win some and you lose some.... Have good days and bad days. I'm praying that Westside will come out victorious this year because they have really worked hard and deserve some type of reward for their efforts. They've come along way. Good luck to the Lady Patriots and to our wonderful coaching staff in the Region play offs..... But In my eyes, you are already number 1.

beep beep
beep beep 09/23/11 - 12:18 pm
Thank You!! I was also at the

Thank You!! I was also at the game and was referring to th WHS parents after the game. Westside played a great game and should be very proud as should their coach who has taken a very poor program in the past and turned them into winners. Both coaches should be proud of their programs. It takes a lot of time and dedication to be successful. That being said, I still think Harlem has the best team in the region and would be VERY surprised if Westside is even in the champioship game.

2 cents worth
2 cents worth 09/23/11 - 01:10 pm
I bet you were also

I bet you were also "surprised" and our recent 9-1 win against Harlem too! Like I said before.... Anything can happen.... And the great thing is..... IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN. Good Luck to all the teams playing in the Region play offs....I guess we'll just have to wait and see who is "having a better day"....

2 cents worth
2 cents worth 09/23/11 - 01:12 pm
** "surprised" at

** "surprised" at

swinter05
swinter05 09/23/11 - 01:29 pm
Coach Mike is a respectable

Coach Mike is a respectable man and he's got a great team. I know Westside is just as good, and this article, their season, and Tuesday night's game is a testimony to that. I will also admit that I was one of the parents that joined in on that singing, but it was in no way directed at the coaches. I'd say it was having a little fun while yall were leaving our field and not poor behavior. Starting fights at a game, well that's poor behavior, and thankfully no one has stooped to that low of a class this season. Both teams have a great chance and like the previous comment said, it's anybody's game, but please don't under estimate them LADY PATS.

G-Hawk
G-Hawk 09/23/11 - 04:11 pm
I sure hope that none of his

I sure hope that none of his travel ball girls play on the WHS softball team.. GHSA would not like that, bylaw section 2.

rbentley56
rbentley56 09/23/11 - 06:02 pm
As a player on the Westside

As a player on the Westside softball team, I'd like to say that the Harlem coach is awesome, and the girls on the team are great. Everyone leaves everything out on the field, and I think thats exactly how it should stay. I'm sorry about anything that happened in the last game that may have offended Harlem. As a senior on the team, I'll make sure nothing offensive is said at the next game. And I'm looking forward to a great game with great sportsmanship between us both at The Regional Tournament. God Bless you all.

WHSSOtentFTBALL
WHSSOtentFTBALL 10/06/11 - 10:13 am
Sure does feel good to know

Sure does feel good to know that Westside is in the Region Championship game. Hope now the ladies have proved themselves, have will have some respect that they deserve. GO PATRIOTS!

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.