News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

High School Sports

More News | The BlitzContact Editor

Late rally lifts Yellow Jackets

acvid:2394

NORTH AUGUSTA --- Homecoming victories aren't supposed to be this difficult.

The script usually calls for the home team to select a pageant queen and steamroll the opponent. Everyone goes home happy.

North Augusta got more than it bargained for against White Knoll, and the Yellow Jackets had to rally in the fourth quarter to pull out a 21-20 victory.

Tempers ran high late in the game, and North Augusta quarterback Loranzo Hammonds was ejected. He could miss next week's game at South Aiken.

The excitement on the field began with less than 7 minutes to play. Hammonds was flushed out of the pocket and scrambled toward his sideline. He was hit late, and out of bounds, and some shoving ensued.

The 15-yard penalty moved the ball to the Timberwolves' 17. On the next play, Hammonds lofted a touchdown pass to Montez McGuire. Mitch Redd's extra point gave North Augusta its first lead at 21-20.

After North Augusta was flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the kickoff, White Knoll fumbled the ball and the Yellow Jackets recovered. Hammonds came off the sideline and appeared to push a couple of White Knoll defenders, and he did not come back in the game.

Tyrell Hillary came in as the relief quarterback, and he led North Augusta to a couple of first downs and helped them run out the clock after another White Knoll turnover.

"I'm embarrassed. We've got to do a better job," North Augusta coach Dan Pippin said. "It's not how we do it and I haven't seen the video, but we'll know exactly what happened."

Hammonds confirmed he was ejected from the game and admitted he got "a little hot headed."

"I think we kept playing hard," Hammonds said. "We got turnovers and we made plays out of them."

North Augusta (7-1, 2-0 in Region 5-AAAA) couldn't solve White Knoll's rushing attack in the first half, but Pippin's staff made adjustments at halftime.

North Augusta did not punt in the game, as Pippin elected to go for it on fourth downs frequently.

After both teams scored, the Timberwolves (5-2, 0-2) marched 97 yards for their second score, an 8-yard run by Justin Rose, and got a break when North Augusta fumbled on the kickoff return. After a penalty, Rose scored on a 14-yard run to put White Knoll up 20-7.

North Augusta's defense finally held, and Hammonds drove the Yellow Jackets to the end zone just before halftime. The big play was a 31-yard pass to Jessie Pernell, and then Hammonds found DeVontez Rouse for a 15-yard score.

"There are some things we need to shore up, but we're 7-1 and did not play well at all," Pippin said. "We'll just keep working."

North Augusta 21, White Knoll 20

PLAY OF THE GAME: Loranzo Hammonds connected with Montez McGuire for a 17-yard touchdown pass that proved to be the game-winner with 6:28 to play.

STAR OF THE GAME: McGuire caught seven passes for 89 yards and the go-ahead TD.

WHY NORTH AUGUSTA WON: The Yellow Jackets shut out White Knoll in the second half.

WHY WHITE KNOLL LOST: The Timberwolves lost four fumbles in the second half.

Next: Orangeburg-Wilkinson at White Knoll, 7:30 p.m., Friday; North Augusta at South Aiken, 7:30, Friday.

North Augusta 21, White Knoll 20

Passing Yards0225
Comp.-Att.-Int.0-0-019-29-0
Fumbles-Lost6-53-2
Punts-Yards1-380-0
Penalties-Yards7-635-65

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING-White Knoll: Lamar Ray 17-121, Justin Rose 13-68, Delvin Riley 1-4, Terrell Grant 11-41, Aaron Long 1-8. North Augusta: DeMarcus Rouse 20-92, Montez McGuire 1-1, Loranzo Hammonds 11-12, Tyrell Hillary 4-11, Vinny Miller 1-1.
PASSING-White Knoll: Spencer Sox 0-2-0. North Augusta: Loranzo Hammonds 18-28-0, Tyrell Hillary 1-1.
RECEIVING-North Augusta: Jordan Grantham 4-49, Jessie Pernell 4-47, DeVontez Rouse 4-40, Montez McGuire 7-89.
allrise
allrise 10/16/10 - 07:13 am
Wheels seem to be coming off.

Wheels seem to be coming off. Where's all the big talk?

jennee166
jennee166 10/16/10 - 09:55 am
Excuse me, ALLRISE! But were

Excuse me, ALLRISE! But were you at the game??? Have you been to any of NA's games?? I don't hardly think so because if you had, you wouldn't be talking all this trash every week! In my opinion, NA played pretty well last night considering. That was the dirtiest, nastiest football game I have ever seen period! Like Coach Pippins said, he hasn't seen the video yet, but when he does, he will know what happened! There were dirty plays all over the place from White Knoll. I won't go into details because the people who were actually there know. I don't condone unsportsmanlike behavior at all, but enough is enough! Hammonds had enough and he reacted! It came down to simply standing up for himself and the team, in my opinion!
Congratulations to NA for holding up against the #1 defense in the region. They scored 3 touchdowns on a team that only allows an average of 9 points per game. Unfortunately, they don't have my respect for playing the way they do. Being good does not mean playing dirty. If they had played fair and beat us, that would have been okay. Good luck NA. I will see you in the playoffs!

BIGTALK1
BIGTALK1 10/16/10 - 10:23 am
HOW BOUT YOU USE YOUR

HOW BOUT YOU USE YOUR "WHEELS" TO COME TO THE GAMES AND SEE THE "REAL THING" LIKE KENNY CHESNEY'S SONG SAYS "YOU MESS WITH ONE MAN............YOU GOT US ALL" AND THAT DOES MEAN ALL. JEALOUS PEOPLE ALWAYS SEEM TO SHOW THEIR LOW MENTALITY IN THEIR COMMENTS. I DO THINK THE BOYS COULD HAVE HANDLED A LITTLE DIFFERENT BUT ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SHOES.......OH.....I FORGOT.....YOU CAN ONLY LEAVE COMMENTS....YOU CANT SEE FOR YOURSELF.... NA HAS A FIRST CLASS FOOTBALL TEAM, COACHES, FANS, TRAINERS, FIELD CREW, AND FACILITY AND ALL THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TEAM. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD JOB NA AND.............KEEP MAKING OTHERS SPEAK OUT OF JEALOUSY........NOW IM GONNA USE MY "WHEELS" AND SIGN OFF

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 10/16/10 - 11:55 am
I HAVE been to every North

I HAVE been to every North Augusta game this year, home and away. North Augusta could not stop a team last night that only passed maybe 4-5 times the entire night!! It's like "Oh, I bet they run the ball... hmms right, left or middle this time??" Most of the time it was to the right, and NA still couldn't stop them, until the 3rd/4th quarter.. I was EMBARRASSED last night after Loranzo acted the way he did. I hope he sits out the REST of the season, him charging off the sidelines to attack another player was ridiculous, and totally uncalled for. Yes he took a couple late hits. The refs called them and we were given 30 yds in penalties for it... A GOOD quarterback responds by making plays, NOT by swinging his fists!! Let one of your college quarterbacks do that this afternoon and see what happens to them! He better hope the scouts weren't out last night!

jennee166
jennee166 10/16/10 - 02:11 pm
Honey, WK didn't pass because

Honey, WK didn't pass because they have no offense!
Again, I'm not saying Hammonds should've done what he did. It was wrong. But what was also wrong was WK's dirty playing. There were several of WK's guys that should've been ejected but were not. They were purposely trying to hurt our guys. They kept spearing them over and over again! And the late hits were not once or twice - it was repeatedly and purposely! So while the refs did call them on a few things, there was alot they didnt call, and maybe they just didn't see it. But I saw it, and so did everyone around me. Still, he should've conducted himself better and I'm sure he will pay for his actions. I'm just glad that NA was able to pull off the win (if only by 1 point) in spite of WK's tactics.

jennee166
jennee166 10/16/10 - 05:33 pm
I must say that Hammonds was

I must say that Hammonds was only 85% when he came back for the Evans game. In case you didn't know, he had a shoulder injury, which is pretty major for a quarterback. I noticed that he was taking it easy too, but I don't blame him. He was not fully healed so he couldn't play as though he was. Him being hit was what caused his injury to start with, so naturally he's gonna be wary of getting hit again before his shoulder is completely healed. Doesn't take a genius to see that.

GetItDone
GetItDone 10/16/10 - 06:12 pm
Hey gibzgirl, please GET YOUR

Hey gibzgirl, please GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT...Pernell does not play defense to make a hit (late or early). Do you even know Pernell's number? Were you even at the game? I'll admit some late hits did take place on defense from both teams, however, Pernell was not one of them. There were some bad judgement calls but it happens in a tough/agreesive sport like football, but at this point, all we can do is encourage good behavior going forward. If you live in North Augusta, hopefully you can find it within yourself to be of some encouragement to the team in a positive manner. However, if not, it is real unfortunate for you that you seem to be so bitter toward the NA players.

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 10/16/10 - 08:53 pm
Yeah, I am aware of Hammonds'

Yeah, I am aware of Hammonds' injury, and if he was not able to play 100% when he came back, he should not have been in.Hilary was filling in fine, and isn't/wasnt afraid to get hit like Hammonds was. I don't blame him for being afraid of re-injuring it. I just prefer a qb who can give 100%, not 85%..
Pernell would be #1, and excuse me, technically it wasn't a late "hit", it was a shove after the play was well over.
I DO support and will always support the Jackets, however, unlike ya'll, I apparently saw a different game.. All the horrible things WK did to our boys, and ours did NO wrong? I love NA football, always have always will, I'm just willing to admit when our "boys" aren't perfect.. I also believe there should be consequences for bad behavior- no matter if you are the star quarterback OR a benchwarmer!! I'm done, I wish yall could go back and watch the tape, it wasn't all on WK is all I'm saying, it was tit for tat all night long!

GetItDone
GetItDone 10/17/10 - 11:50 pm
Speaking of looking back, if

Speaking of looking back, if you would just look back at all the comments, you would then clearly see that we ALL agree that poor judgement were used on the field and no one is excusing anything. I'm just taken back by the fact that the NA star players are not as perfect as you would have them to be. I guess if you actually played the game yourself you would understand the fustration that goes on during the game...which does not excuse bad behavior and I'm sorry it happened in North Augusta but on occassion this happens in football (believe it or not this happens at other high schools, colleges and yes, even the pros...where tempers run high right after plays and even throughout the game....shocking for you, I know). I'm just amazed at your comments when you have not given the system time to react to anything as far as punishments, etc. It happened Friday night and I'm sure the SCHSL was not working Sat or Sun so I'm sorry that we will have to patiently wait for the ruling of how things will turn out for the QB or NAHS. Have a little faith that the coaches will deal with the situation/QB appropriately. As far as Pernell is concerned, your comment regarding a "shove after the play was well over"...does that mean he shoved someone a few plays later or the next quarter, etc.....or....did he shove someone right after he may have been hit, etc./before the next play began? Either way, if that happened, it is inappropriate but the reality is that this weekend and every weekend since this thing called football began are full of inappropriate behavior like pushing and shoving (from Football Friday night, College football on Saturdays and Pros on Sunday).....perhaps we really should end this horrible thing called football in the US so we can put an end to this pushing/shoving on the field.......NOT. Bottom line, give the system time to take care of the issue instead of coming across like you are the only one that cares....a lot of people are disappointed with the way things turned out Friday night and the shame it brought to the town/program. Have Faith!

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.