High School Sports

More News | The BlitzContact Editor

Butler suddenly has supporters, not detractors

Morale is high after skid ends

They are losers no more.

One of the signs at Butler's student center congratulated the team, and back Jeffery Menefee, on Friday's win.   Wayne Staats/Staff
Wayne Staats/Staff

TEAM PAGE: Butler Bulldogs

Strictly speaking, the 41-game losing streak said the Butler Bulldogs were, at least by record. Making matters worse, it seems the players had to face opposition from not only opponents but even their fellow classmates.

Junior running back Jeffery Menefee remembers such walks down the halls of his school.

"Y'all are gonna lose," Menefee recalls hearing.

This year has been different.

With last Friday's 42-0 victory against Westside -- a winning margin that came in what could have been the 42nd consecutive defeat -- also comes a sense of this being a better season.

Coach Ashley Harden said there is different morale at the school.

He said teachers were holding up signs encouraging the team and then decorated the school's student center to recognize the win.

Yellow and black streamers hung from the room's ceiling and personalized signs were put on the walls.

Messages like, "I heard y'all were going to lose. Naw, not me playa! We're gonna win!" and "We run it!" recognized the team's victory.

Butler put forth a dominating and physical performance that the team could finally celebrate.

The band cheered the team during its postgame huddle and waited along the railing to congratulate the Bulldogs, who play under the motto "We all we got" in reference to all the outside doubters.

After the victory, players ran around as fast as they did on the first play of the game, and family and friends soon embraced the players in hugs.

It wasn't, however, a celebration of being surprised by a victory but rather of simply breaking through.

The sight of the scoreboard made Menefee cry in victory. A photo of that scoreboard was then captured on a shirt Menefee remembers a few people wore Monday.

Following the euphoria, Lonzo Harris made it clear the team expects to make the playoffs. What could have been a laughable statement to outsiders is now possible.

Josey coach John Noah, who had praise for the Bulldogs before the season, cited Butler's learning to win at the junior varsity level as his reason for thinking the team would turn it around. With the varsity team, he thinks it has a chance to be one of the seeded teams this postseason.

Menefee, who had 204 rushing yards on 21 carries Friday night and was honored with the largest sign in the student center, said he had been in a similar situation while at Murphey Middle School.

He said the football team there was in the midst of a losing streak before he and others helped the squad rebound to playoff appearances in both his seventh- and eighth-grade seasons.

A postseason appearance for Butler, meanwhile, would be its first since 2003.

"That's our goal," said Harden, whose team is at Twiggs County this Friday night.

"It's about staying hungry and keep working week in and week out."

That hard work started this past December, as Harden emphasized in his postgame speech.

Less than a year later, a team that was seemingly alone in its struggles now has some outside believers.

"They opened everybody's eyes," Harlem coach Jimmie Lewis said.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/02/10 - 09:33 am
Great job Butler and Coach

Great job Butler and Coach Harden. Can we please get away from the statements that butcher the english language though? I am glad you are turning the football team around but let's also teach these kids proper speaking and english!! It will benefit them later in life!

littlecoach
littlecoach 09/02/10 - 08:43 am
Check you own spelling and

Check you own spelling and spacing before being critical . . .Way to go Butler . . .

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/02/10 - 09:35 am
My spelling and spacing were

My spelling and spacing were typos and easily corrected...teaching our kids proper english is not...quit deflecting the issue..

jahir
jahir 09/02/10 - 09:54 am
AWyld1, you are right.

AWyld1, you are right. Speaking proper English is very important. However, there is a time and a place for some comments. Do not be the one to rain on their parade. Let them celebrate !!!!!!! They deserve it.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/02/10 - 10:15 am
I did not rain on their

I did not rain on their parade I started off by saying good job to both coach and team...they should be proud of their accomplishment. I certainly am proud as an alumni of Butler. In life though, proper english is more likely to further their accomplishments...my comments were directed more at the faculty that allows that rather than the kids.."We all we got"..a little to ghetto...rise above that garbage..

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 10:32 am
Butler is a great story.

Butler is a great story. Their slogan, "We all we got" is a rap song, by the way. So all they are actually doing is quoting the title of a song. Thus, the grammar point is not pertinent.

former spartan
former spartan 09/02/10 - 12:44 pm
The Butler win is a great

The Butler win is a great story and I hope they continue this trend; however, AWyld1's observation is correct. "We all we got" is an example of phrases some of these kids will use when they are in the workforce. Unfortunately, what some kids see and hear tend to influence their perceptions about what is socially acceptable. I learned the hard way and I am still recovering. How I wish someone would have corrected my grammar & diction when I was that age. Do we understand what our kids are up against? The future may not be promising if the overseers (parents/teachers/coaches/etc...) do not correct the problem(s). We are living in a global environment and it is paramount that our kids receive the proper training to compete on a level playing field. Effective communication may not measure ones' ability to contibute to society, however it will keep the doors of opportunity open.

littlecoach
littlecoach 09/02/10 - 01:55 pm
Correct their language after

Correct their language after a victory???????? After the first victory in the seniors high school career?!!!????????!!!?

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 02:17 pm
When I was in school we had

When I was in school we had to speak proper english or we would be in trouble and there is no way you would ever have a sign or motto that was slang. These poor kids are being celebrated for a game while nobody says a thing about skills that really matter in life, basically dooming them. You can't be taught by someone who does not know or care themselves. If they think losing was bad, wait until they get to the real world.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 03:33 pm
Once again, guys, it's a

Once again, guys, it's a popular rap song. They are simply quoting it. Would you feel better if they were saying Boot Scootin' Boogie?

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 03:42 pm
Difference of culture I guess

Difference of culture I guess but "we all we got" does'nt seem like something I'd want as a school motto. I'll listen to the song and maybe that will bring me around.

pighead
pighead 09/02/10 - 03:45 pm
Way to go Butler. I didn't

Way to go Butler. I didn't think you would get your first win til Cross Creek. By the way, Menefee went to Sego.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 03:52 pm
Pwrspd, it's not a school

Pwrspd, it's not a school motto. It's just something the players started saying. It will pass.

I remember when I played football, one year we started saying the word "blood" as our thing. It went: "What do you want?" (answer) "Blood, blood, blood."

It wasn't very pretty to hear us shouting "blood, blood, blood" over and over, but we thought it was cool that year. We were all white, too.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 03:51 pm
Well... I was going to post

Well... I was going to post the lyrics to "we all we got" on here but I'd be banned for eternity. You all have got to be kidding me.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 03:53 pm
I would not let my child ride

I would not let my child ride by, let alone attend, a school with that as a motto.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 03:55 pm
Pwrspd, remember the Johnny

Pwrspd, remember the Johnny Cash song, Folsom Prison, where he says he shot a man just to watch him die?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 03:58 pm
Pwrspd, it's not their motto.

Pwrspd, it's not their motto. It's just something the players started saying that caught on.

You didn't go to Westside by any chance?

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 04:06 pm
I understand what your saying

I understand what your saying Riverman but the song is entirely about drugs, disobeying the law, and treating women as slaves. Seems to much to me. The blood thing is about dominating on the field, this just don't fit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/10 - 04:16 pm
Pwrspd, Clemson's Dabo

Pwrspd, Clemson's Dabo Sweeney started a slogan saying "We're all in." That's grammatically correct, but it's an obvious reference to gambling. These sayings are not always what we would want them to be, but they are harmless.

The Butler football players are doing the right thing practicing every day and playing hard in a culture where many drop out and turn to crime. And they are FINALLY WINNING. I say let's not detract from their happiness and confidence. It will carry over to the classroom. High school athletes always have my admiration.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 04:22 pm
Hopefully so Riverman.

Hopefully so Riverman.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/10 - 04:58 pm
Yes, "We All, We Got" is just

Yes, "We All, We Got" is just a title, nothing to do with education..........................................

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/02/10 - 07:39 pm

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.