Lakeside football coach leaving for south Ga. job

Jody Grooms is leaving Lakeside High School to take over as head football coach at Wayne County High School.

Lakeside High football coach Jody Grooms celebrates after game last season  Chronicle file
Chronicle file
Lakeside High football coach Jody Grooms celebrates after game last season

Lakeside Principal Jeff Carney confirmed Grooms' departure this morning, adding that the Wayne County Board of Education approved Grooms' hiring at its meeting Tuesday night. Wayne County is in southeast Georgia.

"He will be meeting with the players today to explain what's happening," Carney said. "We'll be starting our search for his replacement immediately."

Grooms this past season was named The Augusta Chronicle's Coach of the Year after leading the Panthers to a season-record 10 wins and capturing the Region 3-AAAA title.

Grooms came to Lakeside in 2007 from Anson County, N.C., and nearly lost his job that year after allowing his team to run an illegal play during the last game of that season. He was suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season and demoted from his position as athletic director at the school.

evans36
evans36 02/10/10 - 09:28 pm
Seeing that some of us are in

Seeing that some of us are in college or have graduated taking political science as a class how should this measure our high school american govt class? Flawed test?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 09:29 pm
KSL, what in the world do you

KSL, what in the world do you want next? An American history trivia contest?

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:34 pm
Riverman1, I usually go along

Riverman1, I usually go along with your comments, but I recall your support of him at the time. We have an honor grad claiming he was the best teacher she had at Lakeside. I've simply asked her not to defend the claims that Cola County Schools are great, but to demonstrate that he has really taught American government. I have provided a short 33 question test about American government. Put up or shut up.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:36 pm
evans, not a test of high

evans, not a test of high school competancy on American government. But it was a test asking a former student who gave tremendous accolades to a coach who...

evans36
evans36 02/10/10 - 09:37 pm
KSL Im sorry Grooms wasnt

KSL Im sorry Grooms wasnt your favorite teacher in high school. Its ok to let someone else like him though.

Missy
Missy 02/10/10 - 09:37 pm
KSL, I really don't feel like

KSL, I really don't feel like I have to defend myself to you. I was simply saying that I believe Grooms is a great teacher and I wish him the best of luck in the future. If thats not your opinion, that's alright. God Bless!

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:38 pm
If you want to call knowing

If you want to call knowing the history of America equivalent to being able to answer trivia questions then............you are not who I thought you are. This seems to be a bit personal.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:39 pm

Thank you Missy, but aren't you just a bit curious to know how you would do on the test after taking his course? The brightest people are very curious.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:41 pm
evans36 evans36 Wednesday,

evans36
evans36
Wednesday, Feb. 10 8:37 PM

What?

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:46 pm
I'm thankful Grooms wasn't a

I'm thankful Grooms wasn't a teacher of mine at all, ever.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 09:49 pm
KSL, I know you are a good,

KSL, I know you are a good, conservative person, but here you make a comment like that after one of Grooms' students says he was her best teacher. From that comment, I assure you that I'm glad you were never a teacher of mine. Anyway, I went to the website and see that it is a conservative organization and I like that. Heck, I couldn't even find the test, much less take it. But this whole matter of wanting to test one of Grooms' students is stretching the topic a bit.

Dan White 02/10/10 - 09:52 pm
Coach Grooms is a good, moral

Coach Grooms is a good, moral person and tremendous coach. He is a winner. The illegal play in 2007 was out of character for him. So, let me ask, if I am a good citizen, pay my taxes, obey all of the laws, work hard, do I still have to face punishment if I break and if I get caught breaking one law which would be out of character for me to do? The answer is yes. Coach Grooms then should have been fired after the illegal play which he taught his impressionable students to run, taught them to cheat, and then cheated. For that, he should have been fired no matter how good a man he is. Stripping him of his athletic director stipend and duties and making him sit out three games was not punishment that fit the infraction he committed. Not for a teacher teaching his kids to cheat; not for a coach teaching his kids to cheat, not for any person who is the in loco parentis (in the place of parents) according to state law. Barry P - it was a fireable offense. Glad he is gone. And yes, he learned his lesson and like any miscreate punished who learns his lesson, he will never cheat or teach his students to cheat again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 10:00 pm
I like the opening of the

I like the opening of the above post: "Coach Grooms is a good, moral person and tremendous coach. He is a winner." But the last sentence is one I'll question: "And yes, he learned his lesson and like any miscreate punished who learns his lesson, he will never cheat or teach his students to cheat again." I assume you meant miscreant there, but that is the point if you are one who considers that play a moral wrong (I don't). A miscreant would never learn his lesson. Coach Grooms performed admirably after the episode and won the region championship.

techadvocate
techadvocate 02/10/10 - 10:29 pm
Let the cheater go. Good

Let the cheater go. Good riddance.

seeingmuchclearer
seeingmuchclearer 02/10/10 - 11:53 pm
Hate to see Grooms go.....but

Hate to see Grooms go.....but the real loss is Coach Creager, my son would run through a wall for him!

momofour
momofour 02/11/10 - 12:10 am
I am a parent of a freshman

I am a parent of a freshman football player at Lakeside High School. He has loved being a member of the Lakeside football family. Coach Grooms made a poor choice 3 years ago, he was punished, and humiliated. After reading through the 74 comments that have thus far been posted, I now understand why he is leaving his beloved team here at Lakeside. He will never get a fair shot here in Columbia County, his sons would end up going to school with children whose parents cannot let go of a mistake that was made. He will always be known as the coach that "cheated" regardless of his accomplishments. Good luck to you Coach, my son will miss you. You have given him so much through your words of encouragement and dedication to your team. I am sad to see you go and am ashamed that there are so many people who insist on holding a grudge. Lakeside is losing a good coach...possibly more than one. I hope that they hire a coach who will see the star quality of this team, they are truly a family and they deserve the best. GO PANTHERS!!!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/11/10 - 12:36 am
I am sad to see you go and am

Sadly, forgiveness has become extinct. It's an epidemic and futile because humans make mistakes.

Coach Grooms is fine man, and him moving on is Lakeside's loss.

KSL
KSL 02/11/10 - 01:55 am
Question is, can he teach?

Question is, can he teach?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/11/10 - 03:03 am
Barry, I do certainly

Barry, I do certainly understand your point and can see both sides of the story. However, Grooms did not immediately admit the infraction until after reviews of tapes and further discussion. Furthermore, there was more to the story as you are probably aware of such as him practicing the play even after being advised not to do so by other coaches. Anyone teaching our youth in school are teachers first and any teacher that teaches cheating and then instructs his students or "allows" his students to cheat in a classroom would be terminated without further discussion. I think the decision to allow him to stay was a very wrong presidence to set, even with punishment. There have been other instances such as this in and out of the classroom of which have ended in termination, which does fit the crime of teaching and allowing students to cheat. The "win at all costs" or "sports before ethics" is far to prevelant in many high schools across America and frankly ethics, sportsmanship, etc. should take priority. If this was just a fluke mistake then I would agree with you and the punishment issued but the fact that other adults gave him advice not to proceed in this direction which was ignored combined with his initial response after the play was run does not make it a simple mistake but a thought out decision against proper advice. Then, the entire situation became worse (on both sides to some extent) and what came out of it was a reinforced attitude of Coaches and Athletes can bend the rules with a slap on the wrist and a wink and nod whereas teachers and others receive standard discipline measures. That being said, I do agree with you that since the punishment was rendered he should not continue to be punished. However, at the same time, I believe it in the best interest of the school (maybe not for winning football games) for him to move on. To this day, teachers who did not support the decision not to fire him continue to be looked at differently whereas in reality, all they were saying is that ANY teacher who teaches and/or allows cheating, especially when not being fully honest upon being confronted should be fired.

bone1
bone1 02/11/10 - 05:24 am
love barry's rational

love barry's rational approach to explaining coaching behavior: it's not getting fired, it's resigning; it's not instigating if you are the head coach and your players request to be allowed to run a cheat play that you (or someone on your staff) taught them; it isn't enabling if you allow your players to talk you into running a cheat play. gee, barry, maybe you're right: grooms should be Time Magazine Man of the Year next to Obama, a previous deserving winner.

Barry Paschal 02/11/10 - 10:17 am
Glad to make you happy,

Glad to make you happy, bone1, but you are misrepresenting my comments. The overall issue here is the irrational desire, nearly three years later, to pile on criticism and punishment long after the infraction has been committed and punishment served. Your sarcastic comments make it abundantly clear that you lack a sense of proportion.

bone1
bone1 02/11/10 - 06:53 pm
actually, barry, my criticism

actually, barry, my criticism was directed at your apologist sentiments for jody: i think his employer was afforded the opportunity to terminate him and the employer chose to keep him. revisiting this decision - county & carney "standing by their man," grooms showing his loyalty by bolting for greener pastures as soon as he turns in a single remarkable season - seems to be in order. i understand the nature of coaching and stepping stones, but this seems a little too soon for someone who should be demonstrating gratitude for not being summarily fired after an incident of questionable ethics happened on his watch. and CCBOE even invented a new position - assistant AD - with a 220 contract just to make sure grooms maintained a healthy supplement to stay. guess they weren't too concerned about the poor resigned coach from ghs, whose conduct was much more in line with failure to perform duties and responsibilities of an AD than failure to prevent public humiliation ala cheating plays.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 02/11/10 - 07:54 pm
It was an embarrassing time

It was an embarrassing time for Lakeside. Once you are caught cheating, it will not be forgotten. Ask the Cassidy's from Evans. Good luck and get!

coolerpooler
coolerpooler 02/19/10 - 08:27 am
Why is everyone still harping

Why is everyone still harping on that stupid trick play. That happened in 2007 and it is juvenile to still be talking about it. Coach Grooms is great coach and will continue to turn football programs around wherever he goes. Stop talking about that stupid play he was punished and it is done. Everyone is so quick to point out one fault but they forget all the good. Coach Grooms worked real hard to get his players scholarships. He even helped football players from other schools but no one ever hears about that because they are so focused on one stupid play his first year. I would not be playing college football today if it wasn't for him.