Lakeside football coach leaving for south Ga. job

Jody Grooms is leaving Lakeside High School to take over as head football coach at Wayne County High School.

Lakeside High football coach Jody Grooms celebrates after game last season  Chronicle file
Chronicle file
Lakeside High football coach Jody Grooms celebrates after game last season

Lakeside Principal Jeff Carney confirmed Grooms' departure this morning, adding that the Wayne County Board of Education approved Grooms' hiring at its meeting Tuesday night. Wayne County is in southeast Georgia.

"He will be meeting with the players today to explain what's happening," Carney said. "We'll be starting our search for his replacement immediately."

Grooms this past season was named The Augusta Chronicle's Coach of the Year after leading the Panthers to a season-record 10 wins and capturing the Region 3-AAAA title.

Grooms came to Lakeside in 2007 from Anson County, N.C., and nearly lost his job that year after allowing his team to run an illegal play during the last game of that season. He was suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season and demoted from his position as athletic director at the school.

sportfan
sportfan 02/10/10 - 05:26 pm
Riverman1... Before you

Riverman1... Before you include this year's team in the annals of history, consider the subpar region, and every other mitigating factor that allowed them to succeed. No wonder Grooms is leaving, anyone can see that next year will be so much tougher, so explain why he is staying in THIS region, but, with another team. Hmmmmm.... could it be that he saw the writing on the wall and that he thought he could do so much better with a county that has more talent???? Why wouldn't he stay with this school and with fans like yourself that sees mediocrity as something more than it is?

sportfan
sportfan 02/10/10 - 05:26 pm
Riverman1... Before you

whatever1234
whatever1234 02/10/10 - 05:34 pm
Wow! This is a shocker after

Wow! This is a shocker after a history making football season for the school.... whatever happened to loyalty? Those players and coaches are a family - they acheived those goals together, worked hard, supported each other and were ready to do it all over again in 2010. It must be about money, which is sad to me. And I agree, those boys deserved to hear this from Grooms himself, not the media.

augustajacket
augustajacket 02/10/10 - 06:05 pm
What a slap in the face to

What a slap in the face to all of the people who stood up for him when he should have been fired. So he stays , plays in very weak region to inflate his record, and then bolts out of town. Clearly a man lacking in characrter on many fronts. Enjoy Wayne Co. At least we all know what to watch for if his team plays in this area....count the players on the field and watch the bench!

augustajacket
augustajacket 02/10/10 - 06:20 pm
Just one other comment about

Just one other comment about the 'play'. As I recall (I may be wrong)they were only trailing by 7 pts. Had it been successful they could have won the game either with 2pt conversion or OT. If they had it would have affected Effingham's playoff opportunity. I can't buy the argument he got caught up in it and let the boys run the play anymore than a classroom teacher were to get caught up in a moment and give out answers for the CRCT. If he is a teacher, hold him to that standard.

wek13
wek13 02/10/10 - 06:41 pm
Coach Grooms, I enjoyed

Coach Grooms, I enjoyed having you as a teacher this year. We all understand why you are leaving and though you will be missed, we are all behind you 100%. Thank you for the wonderful things you have done for our football team and the happy spirit you bring around campus everyday. Lakeside definently will not be the same without you next year! Keep up the good work in Wayne County. Best of luck to you and your beautiful family. God Bless!

augfootballfan
augfootballfan 02/10/10 - 06:41 pm
Riverman said "with your

Riverman said "with your reasoning, the other local coaches had best bail now because their programs were not nearly as successful as Lakeside's in the current region"

ARC was just as successful as lakeside,, probably more so in that Richmond made the playoffs both years in the region where Lakeside only made it once. Evans and Hephzibah also made it both years where LHS only made it once. So thats three schools more successful than LHS in that region

J.W.
J.W. 02/10/10 - 06:54 pm
Time to bring back Coach

Time to bring back Coach Mac!!!

Martinez
Martinez 02/10/10 - 06:58 pm
This is a player of Grooms,

This is a player of Grooms, he will be missed by all, he is part of the lakeside family forever whether here or there. As for next season, we have to move on. Me and the senoirs will step up to motivate and regaurdless of who the new coach is he will have are full dedication. Our work ethic hasnt changed and it never will. Hail Lakeside!

rsthurman
rsthurman 02/10/10 - 07:01 pm
Sorry for the delay H4LJ but

Sorry for the delay H4LJ but I work for a living and have not had a chance to respond to your earlier comment. No I am not involved with Lakeside at all I am actually affiliated with Greenbrier High. My children will go there and I help out the school on occaision so that theory is not valid. I met Jody after "the play" and honestly have never talked to him about it nor will I ask him in the future. No man is perfect, except maybe you, and I take them all for their body of work not one play. All I know is Wayne County will get a good coach and a good man. You can think what you want and it will not change that fact. Get a grip everyone the past is the past, you can't change it. Do something to make our future better instead of twisting the knife in someone else's back.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/10/10 - 08:09 pm
Yeah, time to move on, be

Yeah, time to move on, be mature about it, and, like him or not, wish him the best as he moves on to another coaching position. As far as punishment for "the play"...I think Grooms has certainly made it up to the people at Lakeside by bringing them a championship! And he did it honestly, by coaching/working long tough hours. He deserves to have the Lakeside-haters let him off the hook. He has paid for his mistake. I don't know why he's leaving, but it may just have something to do with all the holier-than-thou folks who are throwing stones Coach Grooms' way!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 08:25 pm
It's normal for fans of other

It's normal for fans of other schools to throw jibes about sports, but the hard fact is that in the region we are all part of, Jody Grooms coached Lakeside to the championship. If y'all want to call it a weak region remember you help make it up. He turned around a program that had never been anywhere and a school that showed little interest in football. He is one of those rare leader-coaches who comes around once in a while. Terry Holder of Evans-Greenbrier in baseball was another.

Missy
Missy 02/10/10 - 08:26 pm
As an LHS honor graduate and

As an LHS honor graduate and former student of Coach Grooms I am not happy to see him leave. Coach Grooms was not only the best teacher I ever had, he was also a friend and mentor to every student at Lakeside. I believe Grooms leaving will not only be a great loss to Lakeside's Football Program, it will also be a great loss to every student who has met him. I think it's fantastic that he is finally recieving a sports director's position! Good Luck with everything Groomsy! HAIL LAKESIDE!

Lakeside95 02/10/10 - 08:26 pm
Of course I am proud of Coach

Of course I am proud of Coach Crislip..I was also proud of Coach Hill. Neither cheated during their tenure. I hope that Lakeside can get back their "Panther Pride".
During the years when our football team wasn't having winning seasons, we could always have pride in our debate team, our softball, our soccer, our baseball etc. Heck, we even had several perfect scores on the SAT. But of course we all know how football is the most important...

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 08:29 pm
Just curious. Missy, what did

Just curious. Missy, what did Grooms teach?

Missy
Missy 02/10/10 - 08:33 pm
American Government

American Government

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 08:48 pm
Lakeside95, of course debate,

Lakeside95, of course debate, softball, soccer and SAT scores are important. Lakeside excells in all those things and that's why the job Grooms did with the football team winning the region is so remarkable. The baseball team has always been pretty good and doesn't need me to take up for them. But to all Lakeside supporters, it's time for us to pull together and keep this train going whoever the next coach is.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 08:58 pm
Missy, thank you for your

Missy, thank you for your timely answer. Now would you do me another favor? I'm hoping that you will prove the premise about public schools wrong. I'm going to post a site for you to go to. Just under the big gold ban and to the left there is a link to a short 33 question quiz having to do with out form of government class. Please take this short test and report back to me how well you did on it. I'm not asking you to post your score publicly here. Email me at kslouder@bellsouth.net. Take the quiz. Politicians have. There will be a link to a table to compare your results with others, including politicians.

By the way, this is not an indictment of high school teachers. It's aimed at higher education.

I regret that I skipped over the area where I could have had my results added in for the general population for the month of February.

It's fun and revealing.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:05 pm
Martinez, please tell me that

Martinez, please tell me that your senior son was texting that message about Coach Grooms.

sagarbapat
sagarbapat 02/10/10 - 09:07 pm
As a graduate of Lakeside, I

As a graduate of Lakeside, I always found it disconcerting that high school sports dominate the culture of a high school as much as they do. I am by no means suggesting that sports have no place in a high school setting (I played tennis competitively in high school), but, unless my perception of a high school is misguided, its function is to produce individuals with a certain amount of academic and practical training. While I do not quite know the details of what exactly happened with that "trick" play, I think all this conversation about the topic really shows where our community's emphasis is placed. Apparently, high school football and finding the next replacement head coach is more important than finding teachers who are able to teach well and creating and encouraging academic improvement at all levels - students, teachers, and leadership. I do not see much discussion about those latter topics...ever.

Missy
Missy 02/10/10 - 09:07 pm
KSL, why should I do this?

KSL, why should I do this?

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:11 pm
Well I can't speak for the

Well I can't speak for the proponents of Coach Grooms, I will tell you that I don't know a single person critical of what he did at the time who would say that the sport was more important than the education. Just the opposite. The emphasis was very much on doing the right thing, not winning by any means. It was reading, writing, rithmatic and doing the right thing.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:12 pm
To find out how good he was

To find out how good he was at teaching American Government to an honor student.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 09:17 pm
KSL, I'll bet you Lakeside

KSL, I'll bet you Lakeside will score higher on your little test than any other Columbia County school. Of course, you already know that from the SAT scores.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:17 pm
Or, in fairness to him, to

Or, in fairness to him, to find out how good the course information is for teaching an honor student about American Government these days. What is really telling about this test is the comparison to what people of my day and time (= getting older people) to what is in the curriculum today. I'm certain you have heard people claiming that American students are being dumbed down. Missy, I'm not picking on you. You are an honor student. Take the test. See how you do. And go out there and make certain you don't let anyone compromise your brilliance.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:20 pm
Riverman, wrong. I don't keep

Riverman, wrong. I don't keep up with Cola County Sat scores. Have no interest in them. I admit, it would be interesting to see how they do on the test. How will you do on it? That's what I'm most interested in.

evans36
evans36 02/10/10 - 09:24 pm
KSL, How is this relevant to

KSL, How is this relevant to this article at all?

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:24 pm
I came close to acing this

I came close to acing this test. I had high school civics in the 9th grade in 1961 and American history 2 years later. I lived through some of the questions. Which goes to show that if today's students miss the questions, they are lacking in teaching of American history. Come on. These are EASY questions.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/10/10 - 09:24 pm
Okay, we now have as

Okay, we now have as attempted justifications of Coach Grooms' Lakeside team winning the championship that 1. the region was weak, 2. winning really doesn't matter and nooooowwww...drum roll....3. that Grooms American Govt class MAY not measure up although LHS scores on national tests don't indicate any such thing. This is getting to be funny.

KSL
KSL 02/10/10 - 09:28 pm
The relevance goes to the

The relevance goes to the comment made by the Honor Grad who claimed he was the best teacher she had ever had. She's an honor grad. It would be quite nice if she could prove that he really was the best teacher she had at Lakeside.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.