Hephzibah can't be beaten

WHO'S HOT: Hephzibah . The Lady Rebels have lost eight games over the past four years. None of those setbacks came in the slice of the season after the holiday tournaments and before state- tournament play.

Translation: Nobody beats the Lady Rebels in region play after Christmas. That's a 48-1 region record going back to the days when Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were still an item.

BIG GAMES THIS WEEK

1a: Region 3-AA boys final, 8:30 p.m., Saturday: If its a rubber match of Josey and Swainsboro, expect a packed house at Jefferson County. That crowd should expect to see a thrilling matchup if the two teams tangle again.

The Tigers will be very motivated after a loss at Josey in January.

1b. Region 3-AAA boys final: It's no sign of disrespect to the other teams to expect North top seed Glenn Hills and South top seed Liberty County to advance to the region final Saturday at Burke County. It will be far from a waltz for each squad to get there, but that's the expectation.

If it does happen, look for a fierce clash. Glenn Hills doesn't want to see what would be an 18-game winning streak end. Liberty County may have the guards and inside play to stave off the Spartans' talented lineup.

2. Manning at Silver Bluff, 7 p.m., tonight: The Silver Bluff coaches can't remember the last time the Lady Bulldogs played host to a state playoff game. That's if the program has ever done that since the school opened its doors in 1981. Expect a bounce or two of history in Petticoat Junction tonight.

INTERESTING: Just how good has Laney's Harold Doby been this year?

The coaches of Region 3-AA have named Doby and Swainsboro's Tony Mitchell as co-players of the year this season.

What does that mean? Mitchell was rated by Rivals.com as the No. 38 prospect in the nation this summer. He's already signed to play next season at Alabama.

There's no clearer indication of how much the 6-foot-5 Doby has elevated his game this year than that.

Reach Jeff Sentell at (706) 823-3425 or jeff.sentell@augustachronicle.com.

WOLFPACK WIN PLAYOFF BERTH

Cue the celebration. Lakeside is in the playoffs -- or not.

That was the situation immediately following the Panthers' overtime win against Evans on Friday.

It wasn't until later, when the players had showered and most of the fans filed out, that the celebration was learned to be premature.

Region 3-AAAA secretary Wayne Baker flipped a coin to determine whether Lakeside or Greenbrier would earn the fourth and final seed in the 3-AAAA playoffs, which begin today. Panthers coach Ryan Morningstar called tails. It was heads.

Greenbrier is in the playoffs.

Lakeside is not.

The region's tiebreaker system, decided on by coaches and administrators during the region's alignment two years ago, first looks at sub-region records. It then moves to head-to-head matchups, record against higher seeds and finally, a coin flip.

The first three criteria gave neither team the edge.

--- Stephen Fastenau

kiddspur
kiddspur 02/12/08 - 02:21 pm
Any team can be beat -- just

Any team can be beat -- just ask the NE Patriots!!!!!

johnny24
johnny24 02/12/08 - 02:30 pm
There are a lot of

There are a lot of similarities between the Patriots and the Lady Rebels, a lot. The Pats have "Spygate," the Lady Rebels, well, we know that they.... those around Hephzabah High can fill in the blank.

citizen5
citizen5 02/12/08 - 03:20 pm
They what.....Inquiring minds

They what.....Inquiring minds wants to know johnny24. If you are going to say recruit, this is being down throughout the State and the nation on the high school level.

sportsattic
sportsattic 02/12/08 - 05:10 pm
I hope none of the teams are

I hope none of the teams are sleeping on Burke County..they can be a very good team if they play together!

feedup
feedup 02/12/08 - 06:58 pm
johnny24 don't hate, cause

johnny24 don't hate, cause the Lady Rebels hads a good squad. You are right anyone can be beat. So bring it on and hush up the yapping.

shamorris
shamorris 02/12/08 - 10:06 pm
shoots out to all the teams,

shoots out to all the teams, I hope the area teams can take it all the way

Pepper
Pepper 02/12/08 - 11:11 pm
That's right the Lady Rebels

That's right the Lady Rebels can't be beaten. They will win there 6th Region Championship in a row and make a run for another State Title. In the past 4 years 112 - 8. No one in the area even comes close. Stop hating and support your local team. These young lady's deserve it!!!

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 02/13/08 - 07:36 am
Go Butler Lady Bulldogs!

Go Butler Lady Bulldogs! Congrads to all the Girls basketball teams.

wandasig97
wandasig97 02/13/08 - 11:14 am
take it all the way lady

take it all the way lady rebels!!!!!!!!

athleticsupporter
athleticsupporter 02/13/08 - 12:31 pm
How can you actually say

How can you actually say anything negative about these ladies? They take care of business at school, they are polite, and they play solid basketball. Recruit? I'm not positive but I think that there may be a former Hep player now starting for Laney? Or maybe that was last year. Either way, point still made. They have a solid team with the ability to shoot, run offensive plays, and play defense. What more is there to say? Support these young ladies, we will all see soon enough if they can go the distance. I myself would love to see them earn another title.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/13/08 - 12:49 pm
athleticsupporter this is

athleticsupporter this is about The Lady Rebels, not the Lady Wildcats... And the player who TRANSFERRED from Heph did so on her own. If wannabe coach Marshall wasn't all up in her and coach Lofton's business, she probably would have stayed there. GET THE FACTS RIGHT...

thugskin
thugskin 02/13/08 - 12:56 pm
Hephzabah should call itself

Hephzabah should call itself hepatitis.

msmoh21
msmoh21 02/13/08 - 10:46 pm
u cant even spell hephizbah

u cant even spell hephizbah right thugskin and burke county got blown out by thomson tonight...they have no guards and without those they would never win although their front line is pretty good

anmars
anmars 02/13/08 - 11:29 pm
I usually don't respond to

I usually don't respond to such petty opinions BUT in this instance, since I have a daughter and MANY "adopted" girls (present and past) on the Lady rebels I feel it necessary to add my comment. It really saddens me to see such negative juvenile comments being displayed by some of you. The lady Rebels as well as ALL of the area girls and boys basketball teams work hard to achieve their records, titles, bragging rights and other athletic awards. Anyone posting a negative comment about them or any other "teenage" athletic team should be ashamed. I see clearly why our youth are constantly tearing one another down. The toxic behavior is being learned by watching and listening to our "adolescent behaving " adults. These ladies are aspiring to be like the Rutgers team. I'm sure MOST of you were upset about the negative comment from Imus during the HIGHLIGHT of their MUCH deserved win. Why take away the "Rebels" moment with your obvious jealous and childish messages. The Lady Rebels have a good, solid program under Coach Lofton, Coach Anderson, Erica AND my ex Arthur Marshall. To the individual taking unwarranted stabs at my ex...HERE ARE THE FACTS. Ciara (GH), Brianna (LCL), Ty (LCL), Desiree(LCL), Nicole (LCL), The Judge sisters (HE), Courtney Mealing(ST) and MANY others played AAU ball with him as their coach. Each girl is a GREAT player.

anmars
anmars 02/13/08 - 11:40 pm
Under his coaching

Under his coaching leadership, they won MANY championships...AS A TEAM. He has made mistakes along the way but last I checked, NO ONE was perfect, but the girls at least formed friendships and learned fundamentals. It amazes me that while I go to EVERY game and cheer for ALL of my girls, there are still those of you with sour faces unwilling to let go of the past. We should be edifying and uplifting our youth instead of focusing on negativity to distract them. The young lady, Kami, former 3 yr Rebel and SUPERB senior yr as a Wildcat, is a GREAT player. She's happy, has let go of the past and communicates with our family often. That is why she was able to have a TREMENDOUS season with Laney and is doing WELL in college. It must REALLY SUCK to be those of you who do not have forgiveness, happiness nor the ability to MOVE forward in your miserable lives. I am extremely HAPPY to know, cheer for, bond with and have a genuine motherly relationship with each of "MY" girls on their respective teams. You girls ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST and I wish EACH of you well in ALL you claim for yourself during this lifetime. To my Lady Rebels and the coaching staff...You will possess what you aggressively, willingly and prayerfully pursue as a TEAM. MUCH LOVE.. Angela Marshall

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/14/08 - 09:30 am
Angela yet and still whatever

Angela yet and still whatever part your ex husband played in her leaving and becoming a Laney Alumni, it was dire at the time. Yes she's moved on and is playing great ball. I would suggest next time he (your ex) just let Coach Lofton do his job, surely Lofton didn't want to see her go.

anmars
anmars 02/14/08 - 02:02 pm
JFP833, I didn't comment to

JFP833, I didn't comment to get in a discussion concerning that VERY old, RESOLVED issue. Whatever "parts" played by all of us DIRECTLY involved (and I KNOW first-hand ALL of the true "PARTS"), WE HAVE communicated amongst ourselves, forgiven each other and have MOVED ON. My comment was to put the focus where it should be. Partially on the Lady Rebels during their upcoming title run AND on being positive role-models, responsible adults and positive supporters for ALL our youth. Yes you are free to comment, make your suggestions and believe me they are DULY NOTED. I do not live in a fairy tale world where all comments will be positive or factual nor do I always make the best decisions, handle people appropriately (including my own children) BUT my spiritual beliefs and understanding that ALL HAVE SINNED, EVERYONE make mistakes allow me the insight to REALIZE when I'm wrong or it's TIME TO LET GO, apologize and move forward. I will not live in the past because in doing so, it blocks, distracts and steals important pieces from my present and future. So, thank you for respecting my comments. I'm sure you'll continue to prosper, live happy, love forgivingly and be AWESOME! Angela

citizen5
citizen5 02/14/08 - 03:45 pm
Please people Hephzibah is a

Please people Hephzibah is a product of having an real good coach, regardless of past players and present players. Everything said should just be boiled down to Coach Lofton and his uncanning ablility to coach. He has been winning games at Hephzibah for a very long time and much love and respect too you coach.

shirlmp
shirlmp 02/14/08 - 08:40 pm
Good Luck Lady Rebels! Much

Good Luck Lady Rebels! Much love to you Coach Lofton! - Former Lady Rebel Class of '81

EATERY09
EATERY09 02/15/08 - 01:35 am
they dat deal

they dat deal

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/17/08 - 11:40 am
Well looks like they can be

Well looks like they can be beaten.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/17/08 - 11:41 am
Well looks like they can be

Well looks like they can be beaten.