Tiger responds to Garcia's fried chicken comment

VIRGINIA WATER, England — Tiger Woods says the “fried chicken” comment from Sergio Garcia was hurtful and inappropriate. Two weeks after they verbally sparred at The Players Championship, Woods say it’s time to move on.

Garcia was at a European Tour awards dinner Tuesday night when he was jokingly asked if he would have Woods over for dinner during the U.S. Open. The Spaniard replied, “We’ll have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken.”

Woods took to Twitter on Wednesday and said the comment wasn’t silly, rather it was wrong and hurtful. He says he’s confident there is “real regret” the comment was made.

The world’s No. 1 player also said their flap is two weeks old and that “it’s long past time to move on and talk about golf.”

David Parker
David Parker 05/22/13 - 10:38 am
Sergio should get on a

Sergio should get on a reality TV show b/c of the drama he likes to promote. Besides, his mental game when on and off the course leaves alot to be desired.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/22/13 - 10:39 am
Who cares?

This is such a non story.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/22/13 - 10:42 am
Shades of Fuzzy Zoeller.

Shades of Fuzzy Zoeller.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/22/13 - 12:17 pm
I think black people who make

I think black people who make these "fried chicken" comments a racist issue are just doing it on purpose in order to play the "race card" and attract sympathy. Back in February, I was visiting a sick friend at Doctor's Hospital on the last day of Black History Month. Guess what the cafeteria was serving for a "special" Black History Month meal?? Fried chicken, turnip greens, corn bread, and other foods that Black people are always stereotyped as loving!! I didn't see ANY outrage there! Why not??
As a white man, I have a difficult time feeling the black's oppression when they are constantly being hypocritical. Tiger Woods is no different.

Farmboy
Farmboy 05/22/13 - 01:58 pm
Wrong and Hurtful?

Tiger would do better to just dismiss it, and not say anything at all. Less is more. Silence speaks volumes.

David Parker
David Parker 05/22/13 - 03:45 pm
Sergio meant it in a

Sergio meant it in a derogatory manner. It wasn't black people who made it racist, it was the media who suggested it was. Sergio has had maturity issues in the past:

His comment, whether racial or just disrespectful, was inappropriate and shows that his lack of game on the coarse is echoed by his lack of composure in the public spotlight as well.

Cadence
Cadence 05/23/13 - 05:34 am
It was racist

I believe the remark was not a misinterpreted comment; I think he meant it as a racist dig. He may as well have added that they will serve watermelon and then sing some songs about darkies. It's offensive and was meant to be so. Sorry if my post offends anyone; I don't mean it to be so.

jwilliams
jwilliams 05/23/13 - 08:09 am
This whole situation is

This whole situation is larger than “Fried Chicken.” It goes to the very root of who Woods thinks he is as shown in the following text, ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 23RD, 1997, following his record victory in the US masters, sports celebrity Tiger Woods incurred the wrath of African American traditionalists when he appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show. During the broadcast, Winfrey asked the then 21-year-old golfer whether it bothered him to be called “African American”. Woods replied, “It does...I'm just who I am, whoever you see in front of you.” The golfing champion went on to state that as a child he’d invented the term, “Cablinasian” to describe his parents multi-ethnicity and nationality — a mix of half Asian (Chinese and Thai), one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American and one-eighth Dutch. He’d adopted the term as a way of honoring his mother Kultida (of Thai, Chinese and Dutch ancestry) as well as respecting all aspects of his cultural and racial heritage. In other words, Tiger can win tournaments, have multiple endorsements, marry or date whomever he wants and “Identify” himself anyway he wants, as he stated back in 1997, “I'm just who I am, whoever you see in front of you,” well my fine sir, what they see at best is a “BLACK MAN” and at worst……….well you know the rest. In closing the world was forced to accept Woods winning ways, but Tiger shouldn’t think for one moment that the hard core traditionalist of this world “ REALLY” want to see him break the records of their greats, such as Nicholas, Palmer and Hogan. Fuzzy and Sergio simply said out loud and in public what many have said behind the closed doors of the private gates of the exclusive golf courses. They don’t mind Tiger’s presence because it means dollars to them as well as the PGA. So Tiger needs to wake up and see the “REAL” man in the mirror. My problem in this “CASE” (must be viewed on a case by case basis), is not with the fried chicken comment; my problem is with Woods and his constant refusal to acknowledge who he “Really” is until he gets his feelings hurt.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 08:26 am
I would say that the comment

I would say that the comment was racial, but not racist. There IS a difference.

Young Fred
Young Fred 05/23/13 - 08:32 am
I do believe that Black's, at

I do believe that Black's, at least those from the US, have the thinnest skin of any other racial subset on the face of this earth!

Some would claim that I have no idea what they've been through. I would answer that most of todays Blacks have little understanding of what their ancestors went through.

Blacks in today's society, in this country, have more opportunities than any other race.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 08:45 am
I have Irish ancestors, and

I have Irish ancestors, and if someone planed on serving potatoes and beer because I was dining with them, I would laugh along with everyone else......and probably enjoy some potatoes and beer. It's a joke people.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 08:46 am
Young fred....you are right

Young fred....you are right about the thin skin. I was accused of being racist on this board for calling people "people." Good grief.

bigj706
bigj706 05/23/13 - 08:50 am
I agree with Humble the

I agree with Humble the statement is racial but not racist and just because some people think that no one should be upset you don't know their background how they should feel about something so keep typing and do you daily complaining talking about thin skin wow on this site LOL!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/23/13 - 08:51 am
HA

Don't you wish people would learn the definition of "racist"?

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 05/23/13 - 09:33 am
food types reflect racism?!

If Sergio said 'egg rolls' in reference to serving dinner for an Asian would that be "racist"? If Sergio said 'lamb' in reference to serving dinner for a Greek or other, would that be "racist"? I think of fried chicken as a southern food, as most would; not a reflection of a 'race' of people! Ridiculous.

Young Fred
Young Fred 05/23/13 - 10:08 am
In stark contrast to many

In stark contrast to many people I've met, I've never met a piece of fried chicken I didn't like!

bigj706
bigj706 05/23/13 - 10:15 am
Potatoes and beer where not

Potatoes and beer where not left as scraps for your family to raise and feed themselves but that what is was left for slaves that's all they had and it became a joke for slave masters to say that's what the slaves are eating everyday that's where it comes from and the history of it not just saying something some depending where you are from people remember that and its a sore subject

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 10:22 am
Oh really....so the people

Oh really....so the people that love chicken today were left chicken scraps? name ONE person who was a slave and remembers such things. You DO realize that the Irish were slaves of the English, don't you?

bigj706
bigj706 05/23/13 - 10:42 am
That's fine but I would dare

That's fine but I would dare not say anything that could be misinterpreted as something that would disrespect you or anyone else Irish. Just because it was a long time ago and I wasn't around in those times, but my grandparents were and they told me how it was even my parents had a little bit facing them. Im blessed that I didn't have to deal too much of that growing up, but that dosent mean that I need to forget all they taught me. By the way nice to meet you and sorry for the rush I'm in between running around and checking the post

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 10:30 am
Ok...please edit your post,

Ok...please edit your post, bigj706. Without punctuation, I have a hard time telling what you are trying to say.

Young Fred
Young Fred 05/23/13 - 10:44 am
bigj706

I've no problem with any race, but I do have a problem with many Black Americans.

Why? Because I believe (rightly or wrongly) many walk around with a chip on their shoulder, looking at people like me with contempt because you wrongly believe I think less of you as a person just because of your race.

It's human nature to respond negatively to those whom you perceive as holding you in contempt.

I realize it's probably a vicious circle. I'm not sure what the answer is, so I try to treat all human beings with respect, at least until their actions seem disrespectful.

bigj706
bigj706 05/23/13 - 10:48 am
Well Young Fred, you also

Well Young Fred, you also have a point and I would also have a conversation with them as I would with you to tell them they are wrong with that kind of thinking its not good from anyone to just put any group of people in a box and judge them all the same.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/23/13 - 10:57 am
So good hearted humor is bad?

So good hearted humor is bad?

bigj706
bigj706 05/23/13 - 11:03 am
Not bad, but if I'm not

Not bad, but if I'm not getting along with you and people know that, its not going to sound like a joke. Its going to sound personal

Augusta jobless rate worsens

Metro Augusta's unemployment rate increased to 8 percent in July, the Georgia Department of Labor announced Thursday.