TV viewer who noticed Woods' illegal drop in Masters revealed

The television viewer who reported the illegal drop Tiger Woods took during the Masters Tournament was more than just a golf fan.

Sports Illustrated reports it was David Eger, a rules expert who has worked for the U.S. Golf Association and the PGA Tour and played in the 1989 Masters as an amateur.

On the par-5 15th hole in the second round at Augusta National, Woods hit the pin with his third shot and it caromed back into the water.

Under rule 26-1-a, Woods was required to drop “as nearly as possible” to the ball’s previous position

“I could see there was a divot – not a divot, a divot hole – when he played the shot the second time that was not there the first time,” said Eger. “I played it again and again. I could see that the fairway was spotless the first time he played the shot and there was that divot hole, maybe three or four feet in front of where he played after the drop.”

Eger contacted a PGA Tour rules official at the Masters, who relayed it to Fred Ridley, chair of the Masters competition committees.

Ridley determined that Woods had done nothing wrong. When Ridley realized later Woods had made an illegal drop, he met with Woods Saturday morning and assessed him a two-shot penalty. Woods tied for fourth place, four shots out of the playoff.

KSL
KSL 05/01/13 - 07:59 pm
Just goes to show that some

Just goes to show that some people who play the game today lack the gentleman aspect of the game's past. You are supposed to report your errors, not wait until someone catches you.

KSL
KSL 05/01/13 - 08:01 pm
From the headline

Vewer = viewer.

KSL
KSL 05/01/13 - 10:19 pm
tsd

They did change it!

KSL
KSL 05/01/13 - 10:25 pm
I cannot believe I am the

I cannot believe I am the only one to comment on this.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/01/13 - 10:34 pm
I took my dad to the

I took my dad to the tournament for the first time on Saturday this year. We sat at the practice range for quite some time and talked to a few caddies, as well as overheard others. Most were of the thought that Tiger should disqualify himself, and that if he didn't (he hadn't started play Saturday by this time), the fans should express that sentiment by not following him around that day. Unfortunately, neither happened.

agustinian
agustinian 05/02/13 - 06:36 am
Someone Explain to Me

I never understood why Tiger was wrong. I thought the three options were, drop zone, near where he played the original shot, OR on a line between the hazard and the pin but not closer to the hole. Isn't that what he did, drop it further back from the hole?
I really would like a golf guru to 'splain it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 05/02/13 - 08:19 am
Without Tiger the PGA loses major money and fan base.

All sports is about "marketing" over competition. Its the way the game is played. Money trumps all. Tiger has free pass on several levels. All levels lead to MONEY. Sad statement about the other PGA professionals and their contributions to golf. All lives or dies on Tiger's image.

David Parker
David Parker 05/02/13 - 09:05 am
I didn't follow him Sunday

I didn't follow him Sunday but encouraged him in passing. What I saw on TV was nothing as conclusive as what the haterz are shouting about. I saw a dark spot on his second shot and so I assume it is either a divot, a patch of grass from teh divot, or a leaf. Maybe with more definition and resolution I could make a conclusion, but not with what I got so far. If Woods stepped a yard back and dropped the ball on the incline, anticipating a rotation or three, I've no issue with the ball dropping dead and not rolling. Hypothetically, if he'd stood exactly over where the ball was and dropped it and it rolled several times, everyone would be whining about how he got unfair advantage by getting the ball closer to the pin. Get over it for the love of Zeus!!!

YeCats
YeCats 05/02/13 - 09:08 am
No golf guru....

but have played and watch a ton of it.

As I see it, it was the first time I've ever seen a ball hit a flag stick and get knocked in a hazard. Thus, what do we do now?

It never occurred to me Tiger made a bad drop, till AFTER it was reported. And, everything went by the rules afterward.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/02/13 - 09:49 am
Ye cats

It happened to Charles Hardin at Torrey Pines on 18 a few yrs ago. David, if his drop had rolled forward, he would have had to redrop.

YeCats
YeCats 05/02/13 - 10:26 am
JTF

To hit .99999% perfect shot, and then have the ball roll in a hazard is not impossible.
It is a very rare thing, I believe. And that's the reason for the bad drop.

If I would have done it, I prob would have dropped as Tiger did. Then chili'd the next one in the water, and went on to 16.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/02/13 - 01:56 pm
Howell not Hardin

My bad, up too late last night.

my.voice
my.voice 05/02/13 - 03:11 pm
He cheated on his wife and

He cheated on his wife and nobody cares........why does anyone care about him cheating on the game?

David Parker
David Parker 05/02/13 - 03:25 pm
JTF

What if the ball had rolled forward from where he actually did drop it? Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it be "as close as possible to the original spot"? And since it did not roll, isn't it still "as close as possible to the original spot"? If not, then I would argue that the only way to literally interpret that rule, is to "Place" the ball and not drop it.

It is clear that alot of people wish and hope for him to fail. The caddies who spoke about how he should have dq'd himself are a pill. Golf is more prosperous and lucrative to the golfers and their caddies when he is playing. Ask one of the same caddies if they'd trade their higher cut of winnings to keep Tiger from playing in a tournie and I'd bet the farm they'd opt for Tiger to play.

Jake
Jake 05/02/13 - 05:17 pm
TV rules sheriffs

I am against the PGA taking unsolicited calls from TV viewers who spot what may be an infraction of the rules. It is not fair to the golfers who are on camera the most often because they are leading or because of their popularity. What happens on the course should be a matter for the local tournament officials only.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/03/13 - 07:32 am
Agree with Jake

Also, David, I am not arguing for or against Tiger or the ruling. I am assuming that folks way more knowledgeable than I made the ruling. I would say the drop would have to be behind the original spot. So , drop the ball as close as possible to the original spot no closer to the hole. We might be saying the same thing.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...