Augusta National building hospitality venue

Berckmans Place to offer hospitality on club's grounds

Construction is under way for a hospitality venue that will offer Masters Tournament patrons fine food and drinks in a luxurious setting.

Several upscale facilities already provide similar services, but this one has a catch: It is being built by Augusta National Golf Club and will be within the private club’s grounds.

The facility will be called Berckmans Place, and it is expected to be ready in time for the 2013 Masters. It will be inside the club’s back entrance at Gate 9 on Berckmans Road, which was refurbished for this year’s tournament.

The building won’t overlook the golf course, but it will be a short walk from the fifth and 13th greens.

The multistory building will encompass nearly 90,000 square feet, according to plans filed with Richmond County’s licensing and inspections department. The ground floor will cover 40,000 square feet, the upper floor is 30,000 square feet and the basement is 18,560 square feet.

The decision to erect its own hospitality building was a response to frequent requests from tournament partners that wanted a heightened level of hospitality, an Augusta National spokesman said.

Augusta National members and longtime business associates and friends of the club and tournament will be eligible to purchase badges to the facility, which are good for Masters Week (Monday through Sunday). Sports Business Journal, which initially reported the story, estimates that badges for Berckmans Place will cost $6,000 each.

Berckmans Place will offer the highest-quality food and beverages and a place to watch golf in an air-conditioned environment, the spokesman said.

The building will feature a traditional Southern architecture style that will match existing structures at Augusta National.

Other major sporting events have offered premium hospitality packages for years, and Berckmans Place will be the only official program for the Masters.

Some proceeds will go toward the Masters Tournament Foundation, which was formed to help develop and expand golf around the world.

In the past decade, Augusta National has added three areas for hospitality for club members and business partners:

• Left of the 10th green are cabins for domestic partners IBM, Exxon and AT&T.

• Between the new practice facility and the No. 1 fairway are the Magnolia Suites, which are for television partner CBS and international partners Rolex and Mercedes-Benz. A large dining hall for member use is also in that area.

• At this year’s Masters, the Member Re­treat was unveiled near Amen Corner. The building is between the 13th and 14th fairways and behind the concession area near the 12th tee. Club members can enjoy a restaurant-type setting and order from a menu.

countyman
19174
countyman 10/10/11 - 03:28 pm
While I'm still mad over the

While I'm still mad over the denied condo/retail project for the National Hills shopping center.. I noticed the National is finally doing something to the Food Lion shopping center they own. The new landscaping infront of the Sheriff's office is nice, and they're doing additional work around Washington rd.

Also, I must admit the area around Berckman rd is beautiful.. The Berckman rd area already had upscale places to live including Rockbrook, etc..

If the National can purchase the The Greens aka Savannah West and turn the property into a museum, restaurant, hotel, etc development. Then Augusta will truly offer the Master's experience.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/10/11 - 03:25 pm
So for those lucky enough to

So for those lucky enough to have a tournament badge, they can purchase another badge to this place for $6,000? Interesting. I hope the Wall St. protestors don't hear about it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/10/11 - 03:32 pm
John Boyette, there will be

John Boyette, there will be an undertaker's type tent outside the building with hotdogs and beer for the press.

John Boyette
John Boyette 10/10/11 - 03:49 pm
Riverman, actually the press

Riverman, actually the press has moved beyond the "funeral parlor" style tents and Augusta National has a permanent structure in place for the media.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/10/11 - 03:50 pm
Wild speculation about the

Wild speculation about the facility. It has nothing to do with money. It simply improves The National. The last thing the AN needs is money.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/10/11 - 03:50 pm
John, teasing you. I know

John, teasing you. I know about your place.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/11 - 04:02 pm
Well, you can't really blame

Well, you can't really blame AN. They have the mindset that THEY want to take care of their Patrons, and make sure their Patrons are not taken advantage of. The most obvious place you saw that is with parking. Sure this took money out of some people's pockets, but now there is no reason that a Patron has to pay the $20 a day to park a half mile from the course...it's free now. Soon, the Patrons with deeper pockets won't have to pay the evidently high prices to go to those corporate entertainment houses that surround the AN. I say that the AN is really looking after their Patrons, and that is highly admirable...and appreciated.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 10/10/11 - 04:25 pm
since these new patron

since these new patron improvements are stifling the magic week of trickle onto the least of us in terms of money from parking and serving the lovely ones, can we start charging the golf course for the water they use?

John Boyette
John Boyette 10/10/11 - 04:34 pm
Riverman, I figured you knew

Riverman, I figured you knew the score!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/11 - 04:57 pm
One more thought I'd like to

One more thought I'd like to add to this thread. The one thing that I'm rather disappointed in the A.N. with is that the "regular guy" patron is being pretty much left out of being able to afford and enjoy this new facility. No way can an average-joe be able to fork over the amount of money it'd take. Is that the idea? Ordinarily I would think it was, but the Club was so gracious and accommodating by allowing the "Junior Patron" program...wonderful program, btw. How about it, A.N.? How about an offer where a patron also has the oppurtunity to enjoy this new restaurant by paying, say, $100 a person?

david jennings
david jennings 10/10/11 - 04:58 pm
riverman, did you see b st. n

riverman, did you see b st. n md' post? Sounds like wall st. protesters are on to it.

follower 10/10/11 - 05:00 pm
BSNM, it sure didn't take

BSNM, it sure didn't take long for something negative, huh? Guess the 100 million dollar impact on Augusta isn't enough?

follower 10/10/11 - 05:07 pm
Just My Opinion, $100 a head

Just My Opinion, $100 a head with 40,000 people wanting to get in? Can you say nightmare?

I can only imagine a few hundred at the most. Even at $6K per ticket, it will take quite a few years to recoup the investment of what will surely be in the tens of millions.

For us regular folks, we will reap the benefit of a ton of construction money for the area.

The Augusta National is a treasure. It's hard to believe there are folks who want to pick nits with all they bring to our city.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/11 - 05:21 pm
follower, I am certainly not

follower, I am certainly not one to "pick nits" at the A.N. about this topic! I just wanted a way to enjoy this new place. And what's wrong with that? However, you are correct with your math and the nightmare that it would cause. I guess I'll just have to be content with those good Pimento Cheese and Egg Salad sandwiches! Maybe I'll splurge and buy me one of both next time!

david jennings
david jennings 10/10/11 - 05:23 pm
Im with you follower,AN does

Im with you follower,AN does so much for the CSRA and more.And as a matter of common sense,why would anyone who can afford a $6000 badge want to sit with a crowd who can only afford $100?

follower 10/10/11 - 05:31 pm
JMO, I'm with you on wanting

JMO, I'm with you on wanting to go there. But neither my heritage or pocketbook will open the door.

At least the sandwiches are more than reasonable. Might be because of those high rollers spending $6K on corporate tickets. And I'm perfectly OK with that. ;)

allhans
allhans 10/10/11 - 05:36 pm
"Augusta National members and

"Augusta National members and longtime business associates and friends of the club and tournament will be eligible to purchase badges to the facility, which are good ...."

Whether or not you can afford it won't make a difference. The Building will be for select clientele. If they made it available for everyone with $6,000 it would no longer be exclusive.

cityman
cityman 10/10/11 - 06:10 pm
Countyman, Where will all of

Countyman, Where will all of the poor section 8 tenants at the Greens/Savannah place go? Masters gentrificatin is not a good thing for those poor people.

Jake
Jake 10/10/11 - 06:12 pm
I have always been supportive

I have always been supportive of the Augusta National. The Masters is hands down the best "tunamint" for tradition and viewing, both in real life and on TV. However, and given how much I know the Augusta National has provided the CSRA with generous funds, I am a little disappointed that there is not much being done to bring us "common folks" into the mix. Surely with all the land acquisitions they have made, and will still make, why can't they provide a place for visitors to go when it is not tournament time? A Masters style top-notch restaurant (like in the article) on or near the grounds, a museum of Masters memorabilia or even a 9-hole par 3 golf course would be a huge draw for visitors and help Augusta in it's quest for tourists. I am not saying that the grounds should be opened up. These things could be accomplished adjacent to the private course and still give the visitor and tourist a sense of what the Masters is all about. Well, I may just have said the wrong thing in that last sentence. We all know the Masters and the Augusta National is about being exclusive, not inclusive.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/11 - 06:13 pm
First part of the article

First part of the article said "Construction is under way for a hospitality venue that will offer Masters Tournament patrons fine food and drink ". So, we all know who the "patrons" are. I know that they will include the advertising sponsors and other exucutives in this because they're the ones with the big money. Anyway, bottom line is that I ain't goin'. Besides, they probably won't be offering fish sticks or bologna sandwiches.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/11 - 06:30 pm
sorry..duplicate post...

sorry..duplicate post...

countyman
19174
countyman 10/10/11 - 06:19 pm
The Greens apartments aren't

The Greens apartments aren't one of the housing projects in Augusta. The rent ranges from around $500 to a little over $700 per month. The people can move to anywhere they choose.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/10/11 - 08:26 pm
Guys, we are the luckiest

Guys, we are the luckiest city in the world having the Masters every year. Everything we can do to support this hundred million dollar a year enterprise is appropriate. Having said that, I wish (and I realize the AN can decide what's best) they had a small museum-store-restaurant, possibly across the street in the shopping center they bought.

That would be SOMETHING we could show our friends who visit. Now all you can show them is the bamboo alongside Washington Rd. and say, "The National is inside there."

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/10/11 - 09:52 pm
Augusta is very luck to have

Augusta is very luck to have the Masters and Augusta National each year. The economic impact along with the $3 million or more donated locally each year is very beneficial. The Masters, like other tournaments is simply catering to a high end clientelle (their sponsors) by allowing them to puchase a new level of hospitality. There will always be a need for off site hospitality, housing and even companies just as they are needed all across America at every golf and major sporting event.

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/10/11 - 09:53 pm
@John Boyette or anyone else

@John Boyette or anyone else who knows: I assumed the article to mean access to this place was an additional $6000 badge that was for folks who already had tournament access. However, on Austin's program today he seemed to think the $6000 badge was for access to this hospitality area and the tournament all week. It's not entirely clear. Seeing what badges for the whole week can go for, $6K doesn't sound terrible if it comes with the caliber of food and drink I would expect from this place. Granted, still nowhere near being in my budget, but not as bad if tournament access is included in that.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/10/11 - 09:53 pm
Countyman, if you don't think

Countyman, if you don't think "The Greens" aren't full of section 8, you are more out there than most think already.

allhans
allhans 10/10/11 - 10:19 pm
bdouglas...makes sense. Who

bdouglas...makes sense. Who would want to wear 2 different badges?

countyman
19174
countyman 10/10/11 - 10:31 pm
A complex having some section

A complex having some section 8 tenants and being a public housing project are two diffrent things.. Cherry Tree, Jennings homes, etc are public housing and don't have apts renting for $700 per month.. I believe it cost around $200 per month to live in Sunset aka Cherry Tree Crossing. This is Augusta, GA and not Brooklyn, NY were the real estate is much higher.

justthefacts
20483
justthefacts 10/10/11 - 10:46 pm
bdouglas, if the ANGC is

bdouglas, if the ANGC is charging $6K, the "street" value will be considerably higher? But, I would imagine these will be scrutinized much closer and therefore may not be very accessable.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/10/11 - 11:00 pm
Mark Twain on golf; "A good

Mark Twain on golf; "A good walk..........ruined!!"